Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Car runs worse AFTER bolt-ons

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
eksigned, Other than obvious large exhaust leaks, or those indicative by sound of an exhaust leak, how does one check for leaks?
Old 07-19-2012, 03:12 PM
lippstuh

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
modding isn't just buying parts and installing them. it comes with headaches and you'll need time and some brainpower to troubleshoot your problems.

if you don't want to deal with it go back to stock for your own sake. its a b*tch and if you don't want to deal with it you know what you should do already.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:47 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
In the old days, you had to mess with carburetors, needles, jets, float levels, etc. People have it so easy today
Old 07-19-2012, 05:00 PM
lippstuh

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
In the old days, you had to mess with carburetors, needles, jets, float levels, etc. People have it so easy today
completely agree.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
technology FTW!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Fresh Mobile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP. As someone mentioned, you should reset your car by unpluging the battery. This way your car ecu will adjust to new mods and you wouldn't require tune from what i've read on here. If you are interested in HFC then you'll definitely have to get it tune afer you installed you hfc.

Not to hijack thread, but does a transmission drain and fill for manual car affect the check engine light? 5 days after my check engine light came on. I only have r2c intake mod for about a few months and no check engine light problems. Should i take a look at the intake or take it back to dealer?
Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would like to bring my modding knowledge after 8 years of modding my 2005 Maxima SE: First off. The Nissan ECUs which Inifiniti's also use of course are learing ECUs.
1. When you install any mod you need to reset the ECU so that it learns the new mod.
2. The ECU will eventually adjust to the new bolt ons such as the intake and exhaust and most of time it will compensate all the variables so that the gain is virtually eliminated! As if you were running stock! That's why you need to do a tune: I recommend a proper garage with a Mustang Dyno and an experienced mechanic who is familiar with the Uprev Osiris software...many here consider this the best in the business.
3. Contrary to popular belief you do not need to unhook your battery to reset the ECU.
Most Nissans and Infinitis use the same procedure to reset the ECU: Push the start button twice without starting the engine (do not depress the brake pedal). (All the warning lights are on & best to turn off the radio when you do this.) Count to 3 seconds (you'll hear the beeps) then pump the gas pedal (all the way down) 5 times then let go of the gas pedal and wait for aprox 6.5 to 7 seconds and press the gas pedal all the way down without letting go until your SES light flashes....then let go. Then shut it down and then press the start button twice again then wait three seconds then depress the brake pedal and push start button to start you engine. I recommend doing this if you change gas types too such as regular -> High octane or High octane to very high such as Petro-Canada 94 or Sunoco 94 (Best in the business).
Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Simple... You need a tune. Get the HFC or RHFC and get it tuned. That's what it boils down to.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:39 AM
6NMPGceries

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xorbitman
Most Nissans and Infinitis use the same procedure to reset the ECU: Push the start button twice without starting the engine (do not depress the brake pedal). (All the warning lights are on & best to turn off the radio when you do this.) Count to 3 seconds (you'll hear the beeps) then pump the gas pedal (all the way down) 5 times then let go of the gas pedal and wait for aprox 6.5 to 7 seconds and press the gas pedal all the way down without letting go until your SES light flashes....then let go. Then shut it down and then press the start button twice again then wait three seconds then depress the brake pedal and push start button to start you engine. I recommend doing this if you change gas types too such as regular -> High octane or High octane to very high such as Petro-Canada 94 or Sunoco 94 (Best in the business).
Is this a legit procedure?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 AM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
HFC will open up the air flow so much more. When you get a tune everything you have will work together.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by 6NMPGceries
Is this a legit procedure?
yes. I've done this numerous times.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...isconnect.html
Old 08-10-2012, 12:41 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
eksigned, Other than obvious large exhaust leaks, or those indicative by sound of an exhaust leak, how does one check for leaks?
get the car on a lift (or stands) and look for soot! fyi, if you're running test pipes, they'll leak - a lot of the manufacturers don't send you gaskets. you need gaskets.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:47 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
+1 I'd even start it then cover exhaust with a cloth over tailpipe.
If you have a leak, you will hear it right away.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:57 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
How about disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes and letting the ECU do a soft reset? Has any one suggested that?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 PM
2009G37Bandit

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Me and Penrose have been PM'ing. he is a smart guy and very cool. I understand his frustration. I have a 2001 Vette, heavily modded, and there are so many Great tuners out there. For these cars, it seems to be an uphill battle to find competent tuners.

if you add a cat back and HFC's and even an intake. I find it surprising that they charge $500-$700 to tune your car. Any tuners on here that have done it?

What exactly are you TUNING? What parameters are you Changing.

I would assume, they just put it on the dyno and get your Air Fuel ratios back in order. It can't be that hard to do.

There doesn't seem to be many or any tuning experts on here. On the Corvette Forum, many guys tune their cars themselves and there is a lot of people to learn from. heck you can buy the Orvis software for less than $700. But I don't know how to tune and you'll need a Dyno to measure AFR (air fuel ratios across all RPM's).

I just ordered a ARK CBE for my 2009 RWD Sedan. I sure hope I don't lose any LOW end! Already noticeably lost some when I changed out my stock 17" rims and wheels for a set of Infiniti OEM Coupe 19" Rims and Michelin Super Sport Tires, AND, had the 7 speed tranny reprogram, which in MY OPINION, made the car much more tame! It was better Before I had the new 7 speed program reflashed in June.

I am waiting on the HFC's right now, because it seems adding HFC's make the exhaust quieter (I thought they were supposed to make it louder). test Pipes make it louder, even resonated ones, but then, how do you pass inspection?

My vette has NO Cats, and a stock Z06 Titanium Exhaust. it's loud! It was louder when I had my Corsa Indy Exhaust, but will all my mods, over 600 HP, it was too loud. My CODES are all turned off in my Vette, so I when they hook up my car (I'm in Texas) for inspection, it passes every time! Done it for 7 years. My car stinks bad though without cats, especially when you start it up.

I Push my car out of the garage, close the garage, then start it so it doesn't stink up my whole house!

A little off track, but I PRAY, that my new ARK CBE makes my car Louder, and Faster and I HOPE I don't lose ANY torque! I actually want to GAIN more torque, so any suggestions on how to do that , paired up with my soon to be installed ARK Grip CBE are appreciated.

Thanks

The Bandit..........................

Quick Reply: Car runs worse AFTER bolt-ons