Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review Drop Engineering Transmission Mount... reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:35 PM
mprog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drop Engineering Transmission Mount... reviewed

Last night I installed the Drop Engineering Transmission mount on my 09 6MT.

My car is primarily a daily commuter, but it's also my toy and it gets tracked a few times a year. My goals were to increase transmission stiffness and precision, and to also gain a little more feedback from the drivetrain. In past cars (Subaru), a polyurethane trans mount achieved this quite nicely.

Install was a breeze. Literally took 30 minutes.

As for the results…

Shifting is definitely improved, and has a solid feel to it.
But the noise and vibration is IMMENSE! The car has a low frequency vibration / resonance that's so strong, at first I thought I must have damaged something inadvertently. It's LOUD, as in "I struggle to hear the exhaust over it" loud. Interior trim pieces are rattling.

Idle is so so, but engaging the clutch brings on significant vibration. Under fast acceleration, hitting 3-4k RPM also has significant vibration, getting slightly easier once you pass 5k. You hear the synchros, you hear the clutch plates, you hear it all.

I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to immediately swap it back to stock, or if I'll live with it and see if it "breaks in", which I've read it should. I'd be really surprised if it breaks in to a level acceptable for daily driving use. It makes the car feel like a BEAST, which there's a part of me that really enjoys that. But this car is my daily driver, and there's no way I could live with it like this long term.

Anyone else have a similar experience w/ this?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:55 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
I have this as well ... It takes some time to get used to it .. It does calm down a bit .. I also sound deadened my car and it's totally gone .. U have to make up your mind as to what direction u want to take your car . If u want quite than this mod is not for u .. U do get use to it ..
Old 07-15-2012, 01:05 PM
mprog

Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
I have this as well ... It takes some time to get used to it .. It does calm down a bit .. I also sound deadened my car and it's totally gone .. U have to make up your mind as to what direction u want to take your car . If u want quite than this mod is not for u .. U do get use to it ..
Thanks for the reply, I'm glad to hear it calms down a bit.

I *think* I know direction for my car, I was just surprised by the severity of this piece (as compared to past experiences).

Daily driver, but increased prowess at the track, is a tight line to walk...
Old 07-15-2012, 02:09 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Yeah, OEM mounts are meant to be isolators, track cars just use solid mounts.

It's a compromise.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's probably similar to the polyurethane motor mounts for the stage 2 supercharger kit. You eventually get use to them, but in the beginning it can be a little overwhelming.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:41 PM
mprog

Well, I just can't stomach this mod as a daily driver (maybe in my 20's I would have!).

So it'll be up for sale shortly. Cool thing for a heavy use track car, but not for me.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Thank you for posting your real world thought on this. I thought that it might be exactly as you said but was hoping otherwise. Glad you confirmed that it's as loud and vibrates as much as I thought it might.

It would be really nice if they could engineer a set of motor and transmission mounts that were harder than OEM but not as hard as these to have some improvement without taking away every ounce of civility from the driving experience.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:22 PM
mprog

I don't have the post count to post items for sale on this site, but if anyone is interested, here's a link to my sale post of this item on the370z.com

[For Sale] Drop Engineering Transmission Mount - Nissan 370Z Forum