Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review Stillen Short-Throw Shifter w/ NISMO Ti Knob

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Micron

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up Stillen Short-Throw Shifter w/ NISMO Ti ****

I'm not sure about you guys but aside from the abysmal clutch windows on the 6MTs (a shared opinion?), I wasn't too keen on the "short throw" of the OEM short-throw shifter.

Maybe I'm more sensitive to it because I drive 64 miles each way from north of Baltimore, down 95 -> 495W and to McLean on a daily basis, but frankly it was turning into a full upper-body workout. On average I spend between 4 and 5 hours a day behind the wheel, so I have plenty of time to assess its function! Honestly, the factory non short-throw in my EVO was shorter.

I decided on the Stillen unit, having been happy with past gear as well as the specs provided. Had I been writing some in-depth review for some 'rag, I'd have taken some nice comparison shots, broke out the protractor, etc etc. However, the installation was somewhat rushed due to my accident in December... After fracturing my wrist for a second time, I had nerve damage and those long throws were becoming an issue. I needed short, clean and crisp.

****-wise, I chose the NISMO Open-O Titanium ****, which is little more than a turned-down chunk of titanium with "NISMO" engraved on the side, and a selection of gear "medallions" for 5 or 6spd transmissions. These medallions are discs of titanium with the shift patterns engraved in them and filled with enamel to make them more visible. They each have an adhesive backing, and fit flush in a recessed area on top of the ****. Nothing to catch, snag, wear and/or rub!

The install of the short-shifter was a no-brainer until it came time to remove the nylon collar from the original shifter... Honestly, I'd have paid Stillen an additional $15-20 just to not have to experience that chaos. They warn you in the instructions about not breaking it... well, the beating that you have to unleash to remove it leaves you wondering if you're going to have to order a new one and be without your car until it arrives!

Also, make note of the 3rd picture... It's CRITICAL that you adjust everything to make sure the tab is immediately adjacent the collar plate, or you'll have a helluva time with 5, 6 and R.

Finally, nowhere in the instructions do they mention lube... I'm all about the lube, lemme tell ya! Without it, it was kind of "blocky" feeling, NOT BUTTER SMOOTH! A little Red Line CV-2 grease and it was g2g!

Now keep in mind, this setup is LOW. Really tall people and/or people who require use of their cupholders need not apply!

But I can palm <-> fingertip my shifts now, without moving the rest of my arm... mission accomplished!

Oh, and I recently installed a high-end natural fiber transmission interface cooler!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Z gave way to G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spot-on assessment of that Stillen unit. I feel the same "blocky" sensation without the lube. I've just been too lazy to take it back apart. And yes 5,6, and R can be a hassle if the unit is not properly placed
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Jes-Z

Where is the rubber grommet that goes under shift ****? It'll be a nice finisher between the **** and boot. I used the same **** on my 350Z.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Micron

Originally Posted by Jes-Z
Where is the rubber grommet that goes under shift ****? It'll be a nice finisher between the **** and boot. I used the same **** on my 350Z.
I'm not sure of what rubber grommet you're referring to, unfortunately!

The only grommet/sleeve of any sort was a small aluminum cylinder, which provides no finishing in this application and vibrates/oscillates LOUDLY while driving. I ended up removing it, as it's not visible since it sits inside the NISMO **** since it comes down so far over the shifter's shaft.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:35 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Micron

The only grommet/sleeve of any sort was a small aluminum cylinder, which provides no finishing in this application and vibrates/oscillates LOUDLY while driving. I ended up removing it, as it's not visible since it sits inside the NISMO **** since it comes down so far over the shifter's shaft.
That small piece is like a washer. You should also have a black rubber finisher that went below the ****. I actually replaced mine with a stainless door-stop part.

Last edited by rks; 07-19-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Micron

Originally Posted by rks
That small piece is like a washer. You should also have a black rubber finisher that went below the ****. I actually replaced mine with a stainless door-stop part.

Did not have the black rubber piece... I even checked the base of the OEM **** to make sure that it wasn't attached in there.

I'm not too concerned for the time being -- on my long list is a custom boot to help eliminate all of the extra sag. Right now, it does too good of a job collecting dust/dirt/crumbs!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Jes-Z

Originally Posted by Micron

Sorry I haven't replied. There should be a thick rubber grommet for the boot interface. It should look someone like this.

Name:  photo-134.png
Views: 1092
Size:  318.2 KB
Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 PM
rsattler26

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Does anyone know the part number for the often broken plastic piece? I'm ordering and installing a shifter and would rather order it ahead of time anticipating its demise.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:21 PM
kratikosG37

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Micron I would like to bump this thread. Can you give me a review the short throw shifter on these past months?