Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Coolant Cap

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 12:19 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ very well said. as with most services one pays for; it's always prudent to verify that everything is as it should be. obviously you can't go checking the suspension and undercarriage easily, but a quick check underhood is essential.
Pretty sad that these days one has to resort to this for "service...". I try to do my own maintenance that time and tools allow, but when I have had to have oil changed in the past by dealers I never felt the need to immediately pull the dipstick to check oil color or see if my filter was changed, or in this case if they decided to put the caps for other parts of the engine back on.

Sounds like more dealer service depts are hiring the same folks from Jiffy Lube.
The following users liked this post:
Krzysztof47 (05-25-2023)
Old 12-10-2011, 01:09 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To the OP, I would concern about the coolants spills because coolant eats paint.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:29 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Your car is perfectly fine. That's an overflow tank, not the main coolant tank. Rinse off any spilled coolant and refill the system to the correct level. No harm done.
^Best answer here. Also, the only way engine coolant "eats paint" is if you leave hot coolant on a painted surface for an extended period. Let's not goad the OP in overreacting to the problem.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:44 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Although it is likely no harm was done, the OP has the right to expect excellent dealer service and now he has the hassle of returning the car to top off the radiator and have the engine bay cleaned. The dealer should provide him the next few service visits free of charge. Fortunately these cars are reliable and typically require only limited service.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
It can't be denied that they screwed up here and owe him better, but I'm not sure if I'd take it back to them if it were me. They certainly should make it right, but if OP is even slightly automotively competent he can do it himself and have peace of mind that it's done right this time. And depending on how far he has to drive to that dealership, it might be cheaper to buy a gallon of 50/50 and do it himself. Then there's the issue of do you want them working on your car anymore.

Even if he simply wants to complain about the screw up, it's been over 2 weeks since the service and they might simply take the position that there's no way to know for sure that their techs did it.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:57 PM
blitzebill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pretty crazy and stupid on the service area's part.

I had been to a dealer for a service on a car years ago, and they left the dipstick out. This wasn't as bad as your situation, but you gotta wonder, what are these "mechanics" (and I use that word loosely sometimes) thinking??
The following users liked this post:
Krzysztof47 (05-25-2023)