Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

High idle and rev hang after cleaning TB

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Itchytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High idle and rev hang after cleaning TB

I just got finished cleaning my TBs and the engine has started to rev a little while idling. Instead of its normal 650ish idle it's up around 800 and will surge up to 1,000 and back down. While driving, I've noticed that it seems to have either 0 throttle input, or 10% or more. It's not a smooth transition anymore so I tried relearning the throttle valve closed position, the accelerator pedal release position, and the idle air volume. None of those seem to be working for me. If I rev the engine, under load or not, it has a bit of a hang and once it does drop down, it'll hang again at 1500 rpm before dropping down to its new idle.

I did disconnect the TB before cleaning it. I never had a problem doing that with my previous vehicles, but it seems as though you shouldn't with this one. Has anyone done that and been able to fix whatever it is that's messed up, or am I SOL and going to have to replace the TBs?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
take it to the dealer and have them do an idel learn. happened once after i cleaned mine
Old 11-05-2011, 11:05 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Is this something the system will relearn eventually? Or it needs to be reset by the dealer?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Itchytoe

I'm actually trying to avoid bringing it to a dealer for anything engine related. Have Stillen Gen 3 intake, so I'm pretty sure they'll just blame it on that. I guess I could replace it with the stock intake (since I kept it just in case) but that's a pain in the butt, and I'm likely to scratch the Gen 3 again

Hoping Jsolo's right about it eventually relearning, since that would be easiest. I don't mind driving around all day
Old 11-06-2011, 08:05 PM
EnviedG35

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
You need a relearn. Mine did the same for weeks, thinking it would just adjust and go back to normal. Never did...and even seemed to get worse at times. Did a relearn...problem solved.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:28 PM
phreekeeG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not sure whether the nissan relearn procedure works on the infiniti's, but worth a try. i had to do this once on my altima after cleaning the TB and it fixed the trouble:
1) Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
2) Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
3) Confirm the accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON (not START) and wait 3 seconds.
4) Repeat the following procedure quickly 5 times within 5 seconds.
1) Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
2) Fully release the accelerator pedal.
5) Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL goes off.
6) Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off.
7) Start engine and let it idle.
8) Wait 20 seconds.
9) Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

edit: it appears that the nissan and infiniti procedures for this are in fact the same.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/3141577-post62.html
Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Itchytoe

I've seen that before. Tried it, but I never could figure out what a "MIL" is. The only light that has ever blinked is the Service Engine Soon light, but I tried just turning the car on, and it blinks if you do nothing too. Once, I was able to get the service engine light to blink faster. And a different time, I got it to come on when I revved up the engine. Never had any effect on the idle though.

Maybe I'm missing something stupid. You have to have the tranny in neutral and parking brake pulled up right? All the electronics and AC off right? Oh, I never tried it with my foot on the brake. Could that be it?

MIL = Service Engine Light?
Ignition switch on = ON, not ACC right?

Obviously, idle > itchytoe

Trending Topics

Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

MIL - malfunction indicator light.. IE check engine light
Old 11-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Itchytoe

Been trying it for the last half hour. My foot may be broken. Going to have to take it to the local Nissan stealership and give them a few bucks to do it.
This makes me sad.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Itchytoe

Wait a second, does the check engine light have to be on for this to work? Mine isn't.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:48 AM
phreekeeG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no, your light doesn't have to already be on to do this procedure. it will turn on/off during the procedure.
i'll summarize, just in case it helps make more sense:
1) turn ignition to ON
2) wait 3 seconds
3) pump gas pedal 5 times (dont wait between each one, just pump the pedal 5 times)
4) wait 7 seconds (some people say they have better luck if they wait a little longer, like 7-10 seconds)
5) press down gas pedal and wait. this is the part where the check eng light will come on after about 10 seconds, then it will turn off again after about another 10 seconds. when it turns off is when you finally take your foot off the gas pedal and start the engine.

Last edited by phreekeeG; 11-07-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Itchytoe

I drive to pick up supper, get home, park the car in the driveway, and turn it off. Parking brake is pulled up, car is in neutral (6mt), AC is off, radio is off. I wait a minute, then hit the start button twice to turn it on and start my stopwatch. At 3.5 seconds I pump the gas pedal 5 times, making sure to go all the way to the floor and release completely each time. I normally do this in about 4 seconds, I wait another 7-10 seconds, which puts the stopwatch at 14-17 seconds, and I hit the gas again and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait. No CEL. I do this about a dozen times then think, maybe my CEL light is burned and it's working and I just don't know it. I try it again, and instead of waiting for a light, I just time it. 22 seconds after hitting the gas I let it go, hit the clutch and start the car. No luck So I persist, another dozen or so times, and none of them do squat! I still don't know where the stinking CEL is. I think mine may have moved into the trunk or something....
Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

IT, for real???

Looking at the 2012 pdf of the owner's manual, the check engine light is displayed on the car as a square "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light. These are usually orange in color.

The manual doesn't say where exactly in the cluster the light is, but it's a light that will usually illuminate when you turn the car on, but not start it.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Itchytoe

Finally!!! I decided to disconnect the battery to reset everything, and start from scratch. I gave it about an hour, hooked the battery back up and lo and behold, it decided to work this time. CEL didn't exactly do as it's been described, but it actually learned to idle again!

So, if yours refuses to learn to idle, try pulling the plug. Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 PM
RedlineAZ

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
The dealer would've done it for $60 bucks, if you aren't able to successfully to it yourself. My cousin just had the same problem on his G35, took em an hour and $60 later it was fixed. I tried to get our moneys worth with cookies in the waiting area but no luck lol.

Quick Reply: High idle and rev hang after cleaning TB