Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Going Cobb Accessport...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:24 PM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
(NOT) Going Cobb Accessport...

I've had a lot of success with my project car. It's NOT a daily driver, but I guess, it could be. Powerful and yet completely drivable.

GTM provided me with the 'turn-key' tune for this build. It's worked well. Sam DID modify the files upon JimmyK's request (from The Shop) for lower AFR's and I asked him to bump up the upper RPM limit 400rpm. Both areas showed us gains.

The Shop is a hotbed of tuner cars and VERY talented tuners. My Subaru (10.85@125) was (and still unbeaten) the quickest 93oct/street tire/non stripped/muffler car in the US. (the car is dead stock now, but it was.)

John Visconti (V-Flash!) is a computer tech on alternate days also as a tuner at The Shop. John is getting GREAT results working with Cobb and EKU Tech.

I have switched exhausts (GTM to ARK Grip), and we know this will change the dynamics of a tune. It's time to go in-house for some changes.

Cobb stopped making the Accessport for the Infiniti and no longer 'supports' it. (Toyota stopped making the 2JZ engine for the Supra, too, but it's still viable. )

John says he is VERY competent with their software and and he would like to work with this. His limited experience with Uprev did not dazzle him, and their own non-response when I emailed a couple of times about info didn't build my confidence.

I have seen him move the powerband wherever it's needed.

I have ordered the NOS kit from a performance vendor on eBay and we will be working on this in the very near future. I will update this thread and my build with info as we get it.

Objectives: Equal or exceed what we have already tested in WHP, and a lower track drag ET.

We'll see.

Coop

Last edited by SharpByCoop; 11-29-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 PM
j23a45m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this will be great, V-Flash seems to know his stuff. keep up the great work man, i can't wait to see how he does with the cobb!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 AM
SharpByCoop

The new Cobb kit is in his hands. I'm hoping they will do some testing this weekend, but I'm leaving that up to them.

News as we do.

Jim
Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 AM
mikelebron

Went to the Cobb forums and they stated they are no longer supporting the G37. Are you using something new? Whats the part number?

Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
The new Cobb kit is in his hands. I'm hoping they will do some testing this weekend, but I'm leaving that up to them.

News as we do.

Jim
Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 AM
SharpByCoop

They aren't 'supporting', meaning they aren't making new hardware parts for it or other firmware upgrades. That does NOT make the existing units unuseable, nor render the current software unworkable. The PC software is current, which can modify the ECU files, through this system, competently. They just aren't making it any longer.

I purchased it New Old Stock from Vivid Racing in AZ.

John is quite confident this will give him the benefit of his hands-on tuning, and me the features that the Accessport control unit also delivers (Changing maps, Code clearing, etc.)

Coop
Old 09-23-2011, 01:50 PM
GambitX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im interested to see the results with the Cobb tunning
Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 PM
SharpByCoop

We encountered a stumbling block; my Blitz boost controller is not regestering any boost control displays or allowing us to change settings. It appears to not be recognizing the module.

Until that's diagnosed they won't start on the tune. Jimmy had one tech spend time on this, but before we scrap it, he wants to put another tech on it. The Blitz unit cost a lot and if we can figure it out and salvage the unit, we can move forward.

I miss my car.

Coop
Old 09-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Conn

Sounds awesome. Really enjoying following your project. Keep it up and keep us posted
Old 10-06-2011, 04:09 PM
GambitX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coop any updates?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:17 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
the cobb really works on a FI car, not really for a NA car.... good luck w/ the tuning
Old 10-06-2011, 10:06 PM
SharpByCoop

Mayor, have you experience with any other FI Infiniti's with this? Curious for expectations.

Jimmy (the owner) is simply swamped with build projects and I haven't pressed him. The stoopid Blitz controller isn't displaying ANY boost data.

Time for this squeeky wheel to get some grease....

John (V-flash) is waiting for the prompt.

Coop
Old 11-29-2011, 12:31 PM
SharpByCoop

Bttt...

Well, after 8-weeks of sitting and stoopid problems preventing actual work, John (V-Flash) installed the Cobb and made some trials...

Fail.

He did not know about the limitations of the system as installed in this vehicle. His experience is with the Cobb Subaru software, and the Nissan software isn't up to the job (for a TT build). Some of you knew this. I just took the advice from someone more knowledgable than me.

He has returned to the OSIRIS software and made a few minor changes to the original tune: They fattened it up to read 10.8-11.0 at full boost. I did not get a chart, but they said we are still making the same HP.

It's possible I might even take itto the track within a week or so, but no guarantees. It still has some concerns. Plus, the weather in the NE is getting close to unpredictable, and I'm just happy to have this car back, and to stop driving a !@#$% Chrysler minivan.

Blitz Controller = NFG. No amount of cajoling could resurrect the boost settings area. Unit bad?

So, we installed an HKS EVCS boost controller and no one is happy with this. BIG spike before it tapers, although there are adjustment parameters which are supposed to cover this. Non-effective, or something is incorrect.

I may post a query specific to this, after I know a bit more.

Anyway, these are answers to questions you weren't asking.

Coop