Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

7at... Wtf?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:08 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cvroom
do u know the stats on how fast the 7at upshifts say from 1 to 2? Seems to me it shifts quick. Some complain its to aggresive in that respect
Going slow, it'll shift at 2,000 RPM. Going flat out, closer to redline. Between those two driving styles, it varies.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:32 AM
G35Rhino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudgen
I have to agree with Gimpy. What he said (echoing John) is a universal truth of public forums: you're more likely to hear from those who don't like something than from those who do. That doesn't mean that the people who don't like whatever it is are wrong, but that one should not simply assume that they are the majority because they post more.
I do not disagree with unhappy people posting more BUT look at the volume of posts and threads related to 7AT issues compared to any other topic. Clearly there is an issue of some sort and it's not mass hysteria. I've got 60k on mine and this is my 3rd G. I'm pretty sure my issue is "real".
Old 06-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^Yes, you may very well have an issue beyond the normal working of the transmission. I think that one of the problems here is that the noise from people who just don't like the way the thing works in normal operation is mixed in with the complaints from people who have issues beyond that. I think that factor makes it more difficult to get dealers to mitigate the issues for people who may very well have defective transmissions.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:32 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The sample size is far too small to say that there are any real issues with the 7AT. This is a very small community and an even smaller number of people are posting about the issues. Outside of this forum I've never heard it mentioned. Beisdes, the 7AT is used on several Infiniti vehicles so if there was a real issue with it you'd see it across the board.

Are there people with real transmission issues? I'm sure there are. Like any car there are bound to be ones with defective parts. Is it a greater percentage than the general population? No.

I think it's that a lot of people get an idea into their head as to how it "should" work and then think it's defective. Or people read posts here about the 7AT and the attribute everything to that.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Outside of this forum I've never heard it mentioned.
There have been posts on NICO and G35Driver as well. To be sure, nothing like the litany here, but it's certainly been mentioned elsewhere.

Other than that, I agree with you in general.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mudgen
There have been posts on NICO and G35Driver as well. To be sure, nothing like the litany here, but it's certainly been mentioned elsewhere.

Other than that, I agree with you in general.
OK, fair enough. Has it been posted about in other Infiniti / Nissan fourms? Since it's used on several cars I'd assume it'd appear in EX, FX, QX, M, and 370Z forums too.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

^I've seen some posts about the M, don't remember which forum(s). I don't read forums about any of the others listed, so I don't know.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:44 PM
ljelaw

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
OK, fair enough. Has it been posted about in other Infiniti / Nissan fourms? Since it's used on several cars I'd assume it'd appear in EX, FX, QX, M, and 370Z forums too.
JohnEnglish - I feel your posts are a bit dismissive of this issue and the persons raising it. This is a real issue. Many people has expressed it - with admirable restraint - over many posts - apparently thousands of them through various threads. FWIW, my problem developed over time and has been chronic for well over 10K miles, despite multiple attempts by the dealer to fix and two software upgrades. (I have over 30K miles on an 09G37xS.) I'll admit that I'm focused on the issue, but that's also because it's real and it must be endured, particularly in city driving.

If this issue weren't genuine why does Infiniti acknowledge the problem - which they do - and why have they developed multiple fixes (that unfortunately don't work)?

FYI, this issue also has been raised in the Edmunds townhall forum.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:09 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of people have issues, that's to be expected in any car. I just don't think that's it's as common as people make it out to be.

There are a couple of people complaining here, on G35Driver, and one thread on Edmunds. if it was a real issue with the 7AT then all Infinitis with the 7AT (G, M, EX, FX, and QX) would be experiencing problems and you'd be seeing this issue everywhere.

As for the updates from Infiniti, those TSBs don't mean there was a problem, they just got complaints from some people as to how the transmission behaved so they changed it's behaviour. Just like Infiniti added back call waiting after some people complained. That doesn't mean there was anything wrong with the way it was initally just that some people prefer it to operate another way.

As I said previously, it's small group of people complaining in an even smaller community so the issue seems like a big deal. If taken in the context of the overall population it'll be a pretty small number.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by ljelaw
JohnEnglish - I feel your posts are a bit dismissive of this issue and the persons raising it. This is a real issue. Many people has expressed it - with admirable restraint - over many posts - apparently thousands of them through various threads. FWIW, my problem developed over time and has been chronic for well over 10K miles, despite multiple attempts by the dealer to fix and two software upgrades. (I have over 30K miles on an 09G37xS.) I'll admit that I'm focused on the issue, but that's also because it's real and it must be endured, particularly in city driving.

If this issue weren't genuine why does Infiniti acknowledge the problem - which they do - and why have they developed multiple fixes (that unfortunately don't work)?

Thousands have complained? This forum only has a little over 5000 members. I would not say that anywhere near a majority has even complained. There is no doubt that many people have issues with the way their G performs, but to make it sound like all of them are having major issues just isn't accurate.

The fixes Infiniti has put out have been tweaks to the programming. They are trying to make something that will get people to stop complaining. Personally I think they would be best off by having multiple choices for the programs they put on the cars instead of the "learning" one it has now. If people did not like the way the car performed, they could have it flashed to be more or less aggressive.

plus, let's not forget that stupid government regulations around fuel consumption are at the root of this issue.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think if you go through the posts on here, that are complaining about the 7 speed auto, there are only a few dozen, if that many, owner's complaining. I realize there are quite a few posts, but the owner's that are complaining post multiple times when discussing and answering questions about their problems.
I'm not saying they don't have problems, but think that the majority of G owners are happy with the 7 speed.
I've got 13,500 miles on my 2010 and have experienced no problems. I'm currently in the middle of a 3,700 mile trip. Every time I punch it, to pass someone, I'm thinking about all the posts concerning the lag problem, but have never experienced it.
I have, to date, had zero problems with the G of any kind.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:03 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
get an uprev tune, that is one of the controls they tinker with.
they increase the pressure in the trans itself,getting rid of any lag & jerky action.
btw 7 at is not as smooth as the 5at.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 PM
ljelaw

I think I said thousand of posts, not thousands of complainers. Enough for this to be a genuine problem. That said, I'm glad most are not experiencing it.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:55 PM
ljelaw

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
get an uprev tune, that is one of the controls they tinker with.
they increase the pressure in the trans itself,getting rid of any lag & jerky action.
btw 7 at is not as smooth as the 5at.

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you think this might improve the heavy feel of the gas pedal and related vibration through the pedal? Is this something I would mention to the service people at the dealership?
Old 06-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Imua1

Agree with you...the 7AT it is a design problem, thousands have said so, Infiniti acknowledges it. For those lucky not to have it, great, but to suggest it is only a vocal minority complaining because they do not want criticism of the brand is rationalization.

Originally Posted by ljelaw

Quick Reply: 7at... Wtf?!