Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

What's the current story with the 7AT???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:22 PM
doug.nash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay
Yeah I had the surge... especially under heavy braking. It's significantly toned down now. In a way I miss it, even though when it happened, it scared the bejeesus outta me!

0-60 throttle restriction... without a tune, any time you floor it under 60mph, you won't get up to redline. Of course, removing it with the HT or UpRev allows that.
Wait. Are we talking about the same "surge"? Mine has nothing to do with braking. I do get noticeable lag, after braking, but no throttle surge. My surge is related to the car sitting after running for a short time, then when it starts up again, for the first time that you casually accelerate up towards 50mph, the throttle will surge (upwards of 1k rpm) around the shift from 3rd and from 4th. Super annoying, and it has definitely become worse as the miles build.

I'll have to research the ECM mods. I had NO idea the car was crippled to not allow red-line under sixty. If that's the case, what would I expect in terms of improvement in 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:10 PM
roots4x

Originally Posted by doug.nash
"Sportiness & comfort don't usually come in the same package."

Seriously?

Have you even driven the 335i. I've driven two different model years of that sedan, both owned by friends, and those transmission are silky smooth and totally responsive. Heck, my Mom's 2005 G35's 5AT is far more enjoyable. Some of that may be due to the far more aggressive (and desirable IMHO) throttle tip in on that older car.

In fact, if someone wishes to argue that the "jerkiness" comes from the fact that it's a sport transmission, then I would counter back that I would at least expect our G cars to shift in a more sporty manner. Having to leave it in DS, to not have the darned thing shift into seventh at 20mph. Seriously? Even in DS, the lag time for the downshifts is horrid.

The flare being barely noticeable? You don't need keen senses to be annoyed by the rampant mystery throttle blips. In my G they are severe, almost 1,000 rpm, and twice. Must be first when shifting to 3rd, then again to 4th.

To each their own. I otherwise love the car, which is why this pisses me off so much. I just happen to drive a number of other sports sedans on a regular basis which hammer home the point that Nissan, er Infiniti has missed the mark with getting the 7AT to market.

I won't comment on your 2010. No way to know whether it was tweaked after 2009. Infiniti can be funny that way.
I have a 2008 535i (probably same transmission) and it is not a smooth transmission (but it's nice). My G37 is a 6MT so I cannot compare to the g37 7AT but from what I hear, the 7AT is similarly tuned.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM
doug.nash

Originally Posted by roots4x
I have a 2008 535i (probably same transmission) and it is not a smooth transmission (but it's nice). My G37 is a 6MT so I cannot compare to the g37 7AT but from what I hear, the 7AT is similarly tuned.

The two 335's I've driven are noticeably smoother. More to the point, the transmissions just seem to stay out of the way. NOT how I would describe my G's 7AT. All the being said, there is a lot to be said for the substantially better torque curve coming from that TT BMW. That probably has a solid impact on the way the transmission feels, because it's geared accordingly.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The two 335's I've driven are noticeably smoother. More to the point, the transmissions just seem to stay out of the way. NOT how I would describe my G's 7AT. All the being said, there is a lot to be said for the substantially better torque curve coming from that TT BMW. That probably has a solid impact on the way the transmission feels, because it's geared accordingly.
This has been alluded to more than once....the 3.7L has low torque around the RPM range that the lag (torque converter "confusion") happens to occur. On the other hand, are there any M37 owners complaining? Dunno.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:40 AM
doug.nash

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
This has been alluded to more than once....the 3.7L has low torque around the RPM range that the lag (torque converter "confusion") happens to occur. On the other hand, are there any M37 owners complaining? Dunno.

Not sure I'd even listen to someone who bought the M and forgot to check off the "5.6" box on the order form...
Old 04-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Warp37

I've got about 6500 miles on my 2010 G37x. I don't have the flare issue and rarely have the harsh 3-4 shift. From a dead stop, the response seems fine. My issue is the car's reluctance to downshift when at speed. I'm doing 25-30 mph, the speed limit goes to 55 when leaving town, I push down on the throttle and it won't downshift -- just slow acceleration at 1500-2k rpm -- unless I near floor it, in which case it drops two gears and rips. There's no middle ground! Not much difference in GS either. The G35x was much more spirited without necessarily going into drag strip mode. The throttle response stinks on the G37.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:11 AM
doug.nash

Originally Posted by Warp37
I've got about 6500 miles on my 2010 G37x. I don't have the flare issue and rarely have the harsh 3-4 shift. From a dead stop, the response seems fine. My issue is the car's reluctance to downshift when at speed. I'm doing 25-30 mph, the speed limit goes to 55 when leaving town, I push down on the throttle and it won't downshift -- just slow acceleration at 1500-2k rpm -- unless I near floor it, in which case it drops two gears and rips. There's no middle ground! Not much difference in GS either. The G35x was much more spirited without necessarily going into drag strip mode. The throttle response stinks on the G37.

This. Yes, too. Just another in a series if things I wish were different on my G. The throttle response in D and really DS, too, is lacking. As was just posted, the relatively mediocre torque output can certainly play a role. I think Infiniti sold their sole for more HP. They designed the newest engines to max out up top, at the sacrifice of lower rpm torque.

Expecting the car to respectfully downshift when you need a little more oomph is a lesson in futility. As you said, it's either limp along, or suffer through a three-gear downshift. But, those lovely paddle shifters are THE saving grace for my car!!! Such a better way to stay in control of what the car is doing, and even in D, they temporarily take over. Just awesome.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Maxpilot

I don't have problems either, however, when my transmission is cold, for the first couple miles it does act a little out of character. I think the problems mentioned could be transmission fluid related. Is there a better fluid out there? I bet a good synthetic transmission fluid (if one exists that is compatible with the Nissan Matic S ATF) would work wonders.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:34 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My G37 is a dragster, but I can not depend on it's down shift capability. The transmission will do the right thing only if I stepped on the gas really fast; adding gas a little bit a time will confuse it.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:15 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Wait. Are we talking about the same "surge"? Mine has nothing to do with braking. I do get noticeable lag, after braking, but no throttle surge. My surge is related to the car sitting after running for a short time, then when it starts up again, for the first time that you casually accelerate up towards 50mph, the throttle will surge (upwards of 1k rpm) around the shift from 3rd and from 4th. Super annoying, and it has definitely become worse as the miles build.

I'll have to research the ECM mods. I had NO idea the car was crippled to not allow red-line under sixty. If that's the case, what would I expect in terms of improvement in 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
Ahhhh... Ok, I gotcha. I never really noticed that before any TSB updates... really don't notice it now. That's something that would get on my nerves too!

I think most cars have this restriction for fuel economy requirements. Someone else can chime in with that.

Haven't taken my car to the track since I got her March 2010... this summer though, definitely. If I can get a few runs without the Hypertech tune vs. with, I'll be sure to post up results.

But I will tell you... just driving around, the car is FUN!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Steve Wilson

Also have a 2010 G37x - experience the same lag/weak throttle response - very frustrating. My last car was a 2008 335xi - really miss having that 300 lb-ft of torque at 1,500 RPM.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:21 PM
doug.nash

Originally Posted by Steve Wilson
Also have a 2010 G37x - experience the same lag/weak throttle response - very frustrating. My last car was a 2008 335xi - really miss having that 300 lb-ft of torque at 1,500 RPM.

I bet. Those 335's are fantastic. I just couldn't substantiate paying so much more money to get the equivalent value compared to the G.
Although, those TT motors have had their share of serious problems. Both my friends who have them have had to deal with the fuel pump replacements more then several times, each. The grass is always greener, I guess.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Not sure I'd even listen to someone who bought the M and forgot to check off the "5.6" box on the order form...
Hehe

Maybe thats why we dont hear any complaints from M37 drivers, because there are none?

Incidentally, when I was picking up my G the dealer pointed out all of the Ms they have on the lot. Says they got them in Sept (2010) and as of the day I picked up my car (Jan 2011) they had sold a whopping ZERO of them.

One part of me *almost* wanted to offer him some insane price on one just to see if he would sell it.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:05 PM
doug.nash

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Hehe

Maybe thats why we dont hear any complaints from M37 drivers, because there are none?

Incidentally, when I was picking up my G the dealer pointed out all of the Ms they have on the lot. Says they got them in Sept (2010) and as of the day I picked up my car (Jan 2011) they had sold a whopping ZERO of them.

One part of me *almost* wanted to offer him some insane price on one just to see if he would sell it.

I actually do see more than a few around LA. But that's to be expected. You see EVERYTHING around LA.

But that M56 is really a tough sell. It seems like it would be an amazing car (7AT aside) but it has strayed so far into the price index of the 5-series & E-series top cars. While it's still a little less than a loaded 550i - it just doesn't have the same feeling of value as the G does over the 3-series.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I did not have the flares and the shifting didn’t feel too harsh to me, but, I had the TSB done about 1,000 miles ago based on positive reviews here and elsewhere. IMHO, the TSB took out some of the "manual-trans-like" engine breaking on a coast when in "D" and made "D" a bit more like "DS" as far as responsiveness. I don’t think it neutered the car, but, a change in any direction probably would not please everyone. IMHO, what is too harsh for one isn't for the other etc. quotes from Nietzsche come to mind.

IMHO, anyone that visits other forums, or is primarily a member of another manufacture's forum visiting here, will read or may post comments that are "subjective". IMHO, the best research if you are looking to buy a car is a long test drive and the opinions of trusted experts.

Quick Reply: What's the current story with the 7AT???