Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

tuning the Intake valve timing control?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 03:53 PM
indyn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tuning the Intake valve timing control?

Found this in the service manual

"This mechanism hydraulically controls cam phases continuously with the fixed operating angle of the intake
valve.
The ECM receives signals such as crankshaft position, camshaft position, engine speed, and engine coolant
temperature. Then, the ECM sends ON/OFF pulse duty signals to the intake valve timing (IVT) control solenoid
valve depending on driving status. This makes it possible to control the shut/open timing of the intake
valve to increase engine torque in low/mid speed range and output in high-speed range
"

Seems like an another way to extract power besides playing with a/f ratios and ignition timing.

And why is hard to tune the VVEL, as it is a form of cam but not fixed. Instead of releasing a new engine I would see Nissan doing this to produce more hp from the same engine for any upcoming vehicles. This is what I got from service manual

VVEL SEN LEARNB1
VVEL SEN LEARNB2 - unit in Volts • Indicates the VVEL learning value.

VVEL POSITION SEN-B1
VVEL POSITION SEN-B2 - unit in Volts • The VVEL control shaft position sensor signal voltage is displayed.

VVEL TIM-B1
VVEL TIM-B2 - deg • Indicates [deg] of VVEL control shaft angle.

VVEL LEARN - YET/DONE • Display the condition of VVEL learning YET: VVEL learning has not been performed yet. CMPLT: VVEL learning has already been performed
successfully.

I see all the VVEL parameters to do atleast a mild tuning. I don't think Cobb AP Race software could give access to the VVEL tables, I guess Uprev does.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 PM
indyn

no response on this ! I guess we're all learning.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 PM
kosstick

Interesting, I have no idea whats going on the first half of your 1st post ahahha. So you are saying uprev can do this or theoretically can.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:28 PM
blk_vr38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you wouldn't be extracting power just broadening the power band assuming your car is not in tune with your existing mods. I doubt it's very far from perfectly optimal from the factory.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe GTM is working on this aspect of tuning the vvtl engine. Up till recently they had not cracked that part of the ecu code to mess with it.