Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Coming soon Berk Technology Cat-Back Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Apone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't misunderstand, it's not "about" fuel economy, but I am comparing it to other cars that I am coming from or that I cross shopped. I am coming from a subaru wrx which I enjoyed immensely. It was stage II with all of the trimmings that come along including full exhaust and removal of 2 out of 3 cats. The car, as turbos can do, was fast when I wanted it and decent on gas if I stayed out of boost. I knew the G was a large motor and a heavier car than the 335i I cross shopped. There are several things I like about the car, gas mileage flexibility does not happen to be one.

My point regarding the exhaust was that you could end up with worse real world drive-ability based on where the power ends up placed. You can also get much worse mileage with not much in the way of power to show for it. It is possible to get a better driving car with well researched mods that does not need to be pushed as hard to perform and the WRX was an example of that. The G37s makes a much better impression when I pull up at client sites and is vastly more comfortable over distance. It's also quite fast once up to speed so I understand the trade offs. Simply asking if anyone can show where the gains are with this product - it is not an unusual question imho. The Berk is actually the only exhaust I was immediately interested in purchasing beyond the FI product. Quality companies are usually eager to show the results of their engineering. Cobb, Prodrive, Vishnu, TurboXS, Perrin are all names that come to mind. Berk did good work with the 135i project, I am expecting similar quality here.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:42 AM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Keep in mind that with these HR motors, the performance gain from bolt-on mods will be pretty minimal at best. However, you will definitely maximize what you can get with your mods if you dyno tune your car. There are quite of few guys who had great results with the uprev tune with all their bolt on parts (CAI, HFC/TP, CBE). IMHO if you are expecting WRX-like performance gains from modding the G, you are definitely in the wrong game. Bolt-on parts with our G's will only net you few more whp at the top end with little to no gain in the low/mid range rpm's. I would say with cbe, hfc, intake + tune, it would be fair to expect about a gain of 12-20 whp.

I think that if you are in the market for a catback exhaust that actually produces power, BERK would be a great choice for you. IIRC there was a dyno chart in one of these videos that John (JEB Performance) posted in this thread.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:55 AM
Apone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should explain

I should have explained. The WRX was not my first sports car, just the first turbo, everything before that was NA and none were V8s. I don't expect to equal the Rex in raw performance, it was simply a comment about the mpg and that you can have a bit of both. Turbo cars can be quite cheap to add very good amounts of power, as you may know, and again I am not expecting that here. Just wanting to see the chart - I will check the vids again as I don't recall seeing one. Thanks for the assist.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:53 AM
WARAT
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
John (JEB) are the tips for this exhaust fixed? As Conn posted that his tips were not as it was shown on the vids/pics. I'm sure I'm not the only one who want so know if this issue has been resolved. THanks
Old 09-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Conn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ He was supposed to contact berk about it months ago and I never heard back, but offered me some invidia tips. I've also e-mailed Berk probably 4-5 times and never heard back either, though. I've just had to learn to like the tips it came with The system sounds amazing. I might just have to get some custom tips made or something.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:16 AM
WARAT
Registered Member

I really want to like this but the tip issue is kind of bugging me. I wish John (JEB) can do something for you and hopefully contact Berk so they can deliver as promised on their website or pics/vids. I like the stock look and the sound as well. I guess customizing a tip is the only option huh? sucks if that's the case

BTW, did you accept the invidia tips?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
From what I know... They have been working on my exhaust for a while (about two months from when I ordered) and finalizing the production model of the exhuast to start being made to sell regularly. I insisted that John made it clear to BERK that I wanted the tips that he had on his car and do not want the 370 tips. John made sure of this and my exhaust is in transit as of now from what I know so I should see it this week and hopefully get it on as well. It took a little longer but I think they agreed that in the end, the larger tips that John has and that I insisted on mine are the route they should go for with our cars so those should be the tips used moving forward. Again, I could be wrong but this is what I know as of now. I will definitely have a full writeup and review thread on this once installed.

John has been great to work with along the way as well.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:31 AM
WARAT
Registered Member

Thanks Chi! I'll be waiting for that review.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 AM
JEBperformance
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
two prototype berk cbe sold one for conn and another for a customer in uae. from start were clearly explaine were oval tips. being prototype they were offered to me at discounted price. passing on the discount to two customers. whom i thank you for the business and appreciation.

Production no.1 berk cbe after many thoughts were delayed. a more sleeck aggressive tip match our rear better. with chi city g demand on same tip as mine. further comfirmed the final design. my car had to go back to berk tech for two more weeks. to complete the production phase. so we all can enjoy best looks+sound from berk tech cbe for g37. the tips are as many already known made by sebring tuning. cut welded and polished at berk. tips alone are 2 full day job.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:12 AM
WARAT
Registered Member

Thanks for the update John
Old 09-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Conn

Originally Posted by JEBperformance
two prototype berk cbe sold one for conn and another for a customer in uae. from start were clearly explaine were oval tips. being prototype they were offered to me at discounted price. passing on the discount to two customers. whom i thank you for the business and appreciation.

Production no.1 berk cbe after many thoughts were delayed. a more sleeck aggressive tip match our rear better. with chi city g demand on same tip as mine. further comfirmed the final design. my car had to go back to berk tech for two more weeks. to complete the production phase. so we all can enjoy best looks+sound from berk tech cbe for g37. the tips are as many already known made by sebring tuning. cut welded and polished at berk. tips alone are 2 full day job.
John, you were not clear about the "oval tips" that I received on the exhaust. You had to explain a "fitment" issue to me about the tips after I PM'd you the day I installed the system ( a week after I received it). Very surprised you're on here claiming that. I would not have purchased it had I known the tips would be as they are. And no I did not accept the Invidia tips as I'd feel weird running Berk exhaust with a different company's tips. Will be using other vendors in the future.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Soooo, is Berk just not building this anymore? I've been hearing about it somewhat being built but I have heard nor seen nothing. What's with the huge delay for a cbe? I'm glad I wasn't STILL waiting...kinda disappointing IMO
Old 10-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Conn

It's still being made. Berk, for some odd reason, hasn't put it on their website. You can purchase it through a couple vendors on the site. I'll be selling mine in about a week as well.