Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Brand new G37s Coupe differential fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Elvisf16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new G37s Coupe differential fluid leak

Brand new car, two weeks old with 300 miles on it, and yesterday I noticed a pancake-sized puddle of thick, almost clear fluid on the floor of my garage, toward the rear of the car in the middle. Drove it back up to Infiniti of Gwinnett and they put it on the rack. I was standing in the office watching, and noticed every mechanic in the place gather around and start looking pointing and reaching up under it. Some were shaking their heads. Then my service tech walks over, gets me, and brings me over. Said they found some of the bolts on the underside just barely tighter than hand tight, but it was apparent that fluid had been leaking from all around the differential joint--not just the underside. They gave me a loaner and told me they were going to contact Infiniti's regional engineer to find out whether he would recommend replacing the entire rear differential. Those guys were saying they had never seen that before.

I guess I'm posting this as a comment or for information purposes, but if anyone has heard of this before I'd like to know about it.

Thanks.

Jed
Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I've never heard of anything like before. It seems somehow that tightening them got missed during assembly. Very weird.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:47 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
wow damn that sucks
Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Elvisf16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow-up

Picked up my car today. They ended up replacing the rear differential. Said the engineer wanted to have mine shipped back to Infiniti to see what happened. I wish they would let me know, but I'm just the owner.

I had a nice, new, clean G37 when I dropped it off at Infiniti of Gwinnett in Duluth, Georgia last Friday. Today when I picked it up it was filthy. Furthermore, there was never a word from anyone at that dealership like, "we're sorry for the inconvenience," etc. All in all a very poor showing from the maintenance department at this dealership. My first three weeks as a new Infiniti owner have not instilled an immediate aspiration to become a loyal customer.