Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Problem with my drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:18 AM
rotarylvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with my drivetrain

Well I was driving on the freeway and I noticed that there was a bunch of what looked like plastic wrap on the road. Having no other lane to change into there was no way to avoid it and so I ran it over, but didn't think it would be an issue. Well a little while later, my car started making some weird noises at higher RPM. The noise got to the point where I didn't feel safe driving and so I pulled over onto the shoulder and tried to see what was going on. I turned my car off and turned it back on and it sounded normal until I tried driving again. The noises resumed but my engine seemed fine. I pulled over again and looked underneath the body and noticed that the plastic wrap had stuck to the bottom of the car. Just to make my day even better some of it had melted onto the underbody. I tried to remove as much as possible and yet the noised still continued. I think there might be something stuck in the driveshaft, but I'm not tech savvy enough to know for sure. Is this even possible? How can a bit of plastic wrap cripple a 40 thousand dollar car?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:29 AM
beattyG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is when I take it to the dealer and have them put it on the lift and pull it off.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:15 AM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Depending on what you ran over, yes plastic can wrap around boots and shafts under the "40k car" and cause damage.
Ever try to twist a plastic shopping bag and then pull it? Pretty resistant.
I'd have it put on a lift