Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Improving 5AT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:42 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Blessed
i was woundering if anyone has a transmission for a 2008 g37s i blew my transmission and the dealer wouldnt warrenty it because of after market parts if anyone has one or know anyone with one for sale i will be intrestiing
How did you manage to blow the transmission? AT or MT? What mods are you talking about? If you really need a new one, a wrecking yard will be your low price alternative.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
The beauty of a shift kit is that your transmission will shift "normally" while not driving aggressively. You only get the "neck snapping" shift (like the feel of popping the clutch in an MT) when the RPM is high and the transmission line pressures are high.

Be very careful when saying that. A well thought out, well designed, and properly installed shift kit is a thing of "beauty", but more often than not there is a give and take.

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram that has a Transgo shift kit in it along with some other components. It is the best shifting automatic I or any of my friends have ever seen. It does exactly what you described. Mild shifts when cruising around town and hard shifts when you put the hammer down. It shifts quick, probably less than half the time it did when it was stock. I've done three shift kits since and helped my friends do a number of others. None of them shift as smooth down low as my 96 does. Some are down right uncomfortable.

The great thing about the 5 speed automatic is that is has been out for a long time and there are a number of places that should have the settings dialed in. I think contacting someone who works with these things is the best way to go rather than order an off the shelf kit. At the very least, it's worth trying to see if you get in contact with someone who will tell you what size drill bits to use and where. In a Transgo shift kit, they give you certain areas to drill holes. Some instructions will tell you to dill a 0.093" to 0.125" hole, while some kits include a bit. Those tolerances are so you can dial in exactly what you want (if you know what you are talking about).

Funny thing, half way through writing this post I though for a second and reached over to my left. In a small stack of papers was one of my Transgo instructions with all kinds of notes on it.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So the TransGo Shift Kit is $230...

How much would you estimate if taking into a shop and getting a custom job... a good deal estimate. Seems like I've seen numbers from $500-1000, and I never like the low price without substantial back-up... so am I looking at ~$750 for a good custom job?

Another problem I have is I have no clue of a good shop here in Seattle... guess I should start looking.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

You're not likely to find a local shop that will do custom for you. Remember this post for your other thread?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/2967145-post22.html

You should contact them and see what they have to say. The way things are normally done is; You give them your input. They customize a valve body (that they already have) in such a way that they think will best fit your needs. They send you the modified valve body. You pull your stock one out and put the new one in (change your fluid, replace your filters...). Then you send your stock one back to them.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Ah yes, that is where I pulled my dollar figures from... ~$500-1000.

What I'm looking for is quick engagement once the signal is received... nothing too violent. If only I could throw my SMGII from my E46 M3 into this car... I think I'd be happy with the TransGo for the $$$.

Where are all the TransGo guys out there?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 PM
droogie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don know of a single person who has a transgo shift kit. You'd be the first. I'm very interested to see what the results are.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I'm sure a bunch of G35 guys have done it.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Terry has done it on his TT sedan. my friend has the kit waiting to be installed on his G35 HR.