Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Manully shifting the 5AT

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
whats the difference between the transgo vs the gtm kit. there is a quite a big price difference.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Transgo kit is $230. GTM sells the same kit for $285. GTM also offers the same kit + installation for more.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Yep. The GTM "kit" is their price to install the Transgo kit... essentially paying GTM $500 for the install + shipping.

Take your valve body off, send to them, and they send back... sound like the car would be down for a week or two minimum.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Gazan37
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the transgo kit is the way to go. BTW on GTMs website they say that if they install the kit they do some additional modifications to "optimize preformance". Anyone know what they're referring to?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
The valve body is the brains of the transmission. Most places out there that modify transmission valve bodies will start with the transgo kits and then add to it. Transgo (and a couple other companies) do a good job of upgrading the basic components they feel will help the most. Really good tuning companies expand deeper into the valve body and pick and choose their changes. Depending on the transmission this could include, machine work, new components, modifications to electrical components (such as adding resistors), adjusting settings on exsisting components, and maybe some black magic. The really good companies usually don't want to share too much of their info.

I have three valve bodies for my truck. One is stock with a transgo kit that I installed in it. The second is from a company that does custom valve bodies and it's their "Stage II" set up, this is the one I currently have installed. The third is their "Stage III" which I haven't tried yet, but might put in a buddy's truck to test it out. The best combo I have for my truck involves a tuner that can change transmission shift points, line pressure, rev limiter, and downshift settings.

I don't know what GTM does with their valve bodies but rest assured there is a lot of changes they can make. I wonder if they are willing to share what all it is they do? With what little I know of the G37, I'm pretty sure the best combo would involve some TCM adjustments as well.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:33 PM
tollboothwilley

Transgo Valve Body upgrade isn't too difficult. I've done it on several cars to date. It seems daunting at first, but if you take you time and double/triple check every step you'll be fine. I haven't seen an option out for the 7AT yet, but its great in my 5AT. Shifts are lightning fast.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:26 PM
PennywiseG35S

Some other companies that specialize in modifying Nissan transmissions and valvebodies:

Level 10 Nissan Bulletproof Valvebody RE5R05A,RL4F03A,RE4F04A,RE4R01A,RE4F04B,RE4R03A,RE 5F22A

Nissan Infiniti Modified Valve Body

517 Trans - Catalog - Infinity
Old 09-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

Does anybody know what the effect of also installing an upgraded torque converter such as the one offered by GTM in addition to the TransGo kit?

GTM Motorsports*Torque Converters
Old 09-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know if they custom fit those Torque Convertors to each customer or have a shelf full of them. TC's need to be specifically made for the intended application if you're doing things right. They need to ask you things like, the weight of the vehicle, the engine power curve, gear ratios, what you indend to drive the car for, and things like that. They can spec out the torque convertor by changing things like where the TC stalls at and what the torque multiplication is. Good TC's will an "anti-ballooning" features such as billet aluminum plates and talk about true stall vs flash stall vs brake stall.

Do a quick google search for torque convertors and you'll find more info than you'd ever care for. You'll also find that the GTM page you posted above tells you nothing other than they can sell you one.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd talk to Sam before going with a different TC. I wouldn't change the stock unit though. If you want trans upgrades just go with a VB upgrade and a nice oil cooler. Make sure you use high quality fluid as well.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

Looks like that's the case... unless the car is putting out some massive numbers, an upgraded T/C doesn't seem to be worth the money. I may go this route if I ever do the S/C...

I think I'll be ordering my TransGo shift kit very soon, and attempting the upgrade myself. It looks complicated based on all the screws you have to remove, and the fact there is some drilling involved, but from what I hear it is more of an organization thing, and that the TransGo instructions are very clear and precise.

And the money I'll save on the install I can use on sway bars and some good tools!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:25 PM
superchargedg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Infinite.G
Thanks! Haven't heard of this... found this weak DIY at Nicoclub:

5AT - Transgo Valve Body Shift Kit - DIY : G35 and G37 General Discussions

Looks intimidating to say the least... did you DIY or pay for install? How much was install if you did?
I bought mine a little over 2 years ago from a moderator on my350z site and installed the already assembled vb myself.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 PM
ak47
Banned

i have the grounding kits dont notice a huge diffrence but my stereo is alot louder. also i broke my car in pretty hard it shift gears with no problems in any rpm and downshifts ok to.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

I ended up purchasing the TransGo Shift Kit, but never had it installed. Now I'm selling my car and it's for sale.

Check the Classified section if you're interested!
Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Jkg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im about to get this for my 08 coupe
any one know part number for transgo valve body kit?

Quick Reply: Manully shifting the 5AT