Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Cobb access port with aftermarket intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:12 PM
mark5825

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobb access port with aftermarket intake?

I know the answer is in here somewhere but i couldnt find it, is the product compatible with the g37 with aftermarket intake such as the stillen gen 3, if so then why does the cobb website read as follows: full or cat back exhaust with high flow catalytic converters and a STOCK INTAKE SYSTEM and STOCK FUEL INJECTORS ONLY

says this on stage 1 and 2, is there a 3rd stage for aftermarket intake that is not listen on the cobb website or something?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 PM
mark5825

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
think i found the answer... do i just need to get a custom tune i guess from local performance place when i use this with an aftermarket intake? and if thats the answer how much does getting a custom tune cost? also jw how much does a dyno cost?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mark5825
think i found the answer... do i just need to get a custom tune i guess from local performance place when i use this with an aftermarket intake? and if thats the answer how much does getting a custom tune cost? also jw how much does a dyno cost?
You would need a custom tune. The problem is there are so many different intake designs it's hard for Cobb to make a safe stage tune map. Some intakes like Stillen and Injen have a tendency to lean the car out a bit and the only way of fixing that is by having a custom tune.

A custom tune could run anywhere from 200-450 depending on the complexity and what kind of parts are installed on your car (it takes longer to get you fuel mixes corrected). Dyno runs are normally 50 - 85 for 3 runs.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:41 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
PM Whiddles about it. He has the Cobb and has the stillen Gen3 and can answer your questions
Old 06-30-2010, 02:18 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My car's at 3SX now getting a Cobb pro-tune. It's $150 an hour at this shop and it really depends on how long it takes to get what they think is the optimum tune. If they get it done in an hour $150 with before and after Superflow dynos. If they get to 3 hours and think they can grab some more they'll call to discuss and leave it at your choice to stop or move forward.

One thing I've learned so far is that I'd suggest getting the tuner to get the maps from Cobb first before you schedule your visit. Right now my cars just sitting there waiting for Cobb to reply which supposably only takes a day. They could have taken my VIN and AccessPort Id and ordered first.. doh.

This should be an interesting run considering the modest mods I have.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
My car's at 3SX now getting a Cobb pro-tune. It's $150 an hour at this shop and it really depends on how long it takes to get what they think is the optimum tune. If they get it done in an hour $150 with before and after Superflow dynos. If they get to 3 hours and think they can grab some more they'll call to discuss and leave it at your choice to stop or move forward.

One thing I've learned so far is that I'd suggest getting the tuner to get the maps from Cobb first before you schedule your visit. Right now my cars just sitting there waiting for Cobb to reply which supposably only takes a day. They could have taken my VIN and AccessPort Id and ordered first.. doh.

This should be an interesting run considering the modest mods I have.

I would love to know if you can see a noticeable difference after the tune...I'm thinking about buying the Cobb AP...I was told all you do is plug it up and select your map
Old 07-02-2010, 02:30 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh yea.. car pulls much harder, I posted a review. Very happy with the AP. I'd love to get some Dynojet results... Haven't seen another Superflow dyno to compare overall gains but it diffinately fixed the sorry tune I was running.