Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Burnt Clutch Disc? Im Not An Idiot Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:15 AM
SmEeDwOkEr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burnt Clutch Disc? Im Not An Idiot Please Help

Dealer is telling me i have a burnt clutch disc from driver error without pulling trans out.

Symptoms:

put car in gear let clutch out like normal car doesn't move u just hear something spinning in the drivetrain. Same in every gear. Was NO burnt clutch smell after this or ever before from my driving style.

Happened driving down 25mph street shifting from first to second over pot holes heard something pop in the back end got nervous pulled over car does what i described in symptoms.

i'm not new to a manual transmission I'm coming outa an 04' Evolution 8 that had 65k on a stock clutch and transfer case with 310hp to the wheels. not sure if ure familiar with the evo and there 03-04 drivetrain complaints but that's pretty friggen good.

so anyway sorry for rambling, wanna know if anyone has any suggestions or has this has happened to them. i have searched, read posts Google'd read some more learned some about these transmissions and i cant find what im looking for so hopefully the community can shed some light. this is serious please respond with serious answers.

i appreciate any help

Last edited by SmEeDwOkEr; 10-20-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:18 AM
SmEeDwOkEr

forgot to add there is 23k miles on the car. so the 12/12 warranty is gone but i feel it is a drive train problem or a factory defect. through some research maybe my pressure plate or flywheel is blown apart? Oh and the Evo still lives sold it to my brother who put cams and some other stuff on to get it to 360whp stock engine/turbo but has sent out just the trans to get upgraded by shep to a stage 2 racing
Old 10-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
It certainly doesn't sound like a burnt clutch.

Make them pull it. If it is burnt, you'll probably have to pay for the repair out of pocket. If not, whatever is broken should be covered under warranty and it will feel good seeing the service manager eat a little crow.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:16 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ask them to explain how they conclusively and conveniently determined it's driver error and not a failed part. If it's just their default guess, then ask them to give you a call back once they find out.

Don't get jerked around.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:12 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
+1 to what the guys said, the stock clutch should handle insane abuse with N/A power. Many people had their MT G as their first car and burnt the **** out of their clutches and they're still holding up pretty well.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:54 AM
SmEeDwOkEr

Thanks for the insight guys this has been killing me. I asked to talk to the regional service manager and I was told he doesn't hold any bearing anymore as he doesn't go around and visit once a month for disputes. So now I'm waiting on a call back from the service managers boss.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM
SmEeDwOkEr

Dealer says they really think it's a burnt disc and driver error. I need a need a new pressure plate, disc, and release bearing. We started at $2,700 and ended up at $898.

I have to agree to pay the $898 if it is a burnt disc, in order for them to pull my transmision and inspect the problem.

At that point even if it is a burnt disc how does it prove it's driver error and not a manufacturing defect?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How did you respond when dealer said "we really think it's a burnt disc and driver error"?

Ask them to tell you the difference in damage between driver error and manu defect. Don't let them base it on speculation and get you to agree to pay for something that you may not have caused.

Ask your dealership the last question you just posted. Get it clarified because agreeing to anything.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 PM
SmEeDwOkEr

They said that if the disc is burnt at all it's my fault. I don't understand how it can "superheat" and cause a defect like this after driving for two blocks.

Another thread someone had experienced a blown pressure plate or flywheel don't remeber exactly what it was one or the other.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:27 PM
SmEeDwOkEr

Should I have my lawyer call? Should I call Infiniti consumer affairs and report this? I really don't feel this is my fault.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SmEeDwOkEr
They said that if the disc is burnt at all it's my fault. I don't understand how it can "superheat" and cause a defect like this after driving for two blocks.

Another thread someone had experienced a blown pressure plate or flywheel don't remeber exactly what it was one or the other.
You said you heard a pop in the back-end of the drivetrain?

Could be the diff. Have you confirmed that at the minimum the driveshaft does not turn when the clutch pedal is released?

There should be a very stinky 'burnt' smell with a 'burnt' clutch...and the shaft will still turn in most cases! This is something else imo.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:36 PM
SmEeDwOkEr

New transmission incoming!! Hope they remember to wash it
Old 10-22-2009, 02:25 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are they giving you a reach around and then swallowing for jerking you around saying it was burnt clutch and your fault?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:53 AM
SmEeDwOkEr

NOpe wish they would I could use some new tires that would be a real nice apology. I'm pretty sure they didn't even say sorry for your inconvenience but I'm just happy there replacing it.

Ended up not being a burnt disc, something to the effect of a faulty input shaft I'll post work order when I get it.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:29 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

please post any info- because these cars are known for the tranny rattle- and its the input shaft bearing.