Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Trouble Shifting Out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:17 AM
russL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble Shifting Out of Park

Recently purchased new 09 G37X. About 40% of the time it takes multiple tries to move the shifter out of park. The button has to be pressed and released a couple of times. Unimpressed with dealership, Circle Infiniti, Eatontown, NJ. They say it is common and cannot be fixed. Anyone else have this problem or know how to correct?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Mike P

Having the same issue (only with the Sedan). I told the dealer and they adjusted shifter. It would take 3 or 4 times before, but now only happens every once in a while and it is usually out in the second try. I am also making sure I depress the brake all the way to the floor. I think that has helped the most.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:28 PM
saltfish

You gotta ensure that the weight of the vehicle is not resting on the parking arm.

What i do when i'm parking is:
Come to a complete stop
Put transmission in neutral (this ensures that the vehicle isn't moving forward or back)
Push down the foot brake then slowly release the brake pedal
Push transmission in park.

When i'm about to drive off i first put the car in gear then release the foot brake. With this method i never get any clunk sound and it isn't hard to move from out of park either.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:18 PM
JaredRS

Originally Posted by russL
Recently purchased new 09 G37X. About 40% of the time it takes multiple tries to move the shifter out of park. The button has to be pressed and released a couple of times. Unimpressed with dealership, Circle Infiniti, Eatontown, NJ. They say it is common and cannot be fixed. Anyone else have this problem or know how to correct?
I have the same as well... make sure you arent pulling back on the sitck as you are pushing the button. this seems to be part of the issue for me on occasion.

I havent taken it back to the dealer, i was waiting for another excuse to have them check it out.. which I got last night. SES light came on. as long as its not just the gas cap i will have the dealer take a look at both.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 AM
russL

Mike P Thanks I'll give that a try.
JaredRS The dealer claimed I was pulling back on the shifter. Please update us after you take your car to the dealer.
Saltfish - Thanks. I really don't want to have to go through that just to shift car out of park. I have never experienced this with any car I have driven (and I travel a lot = frequent rental cars). Wouldn't expect this type of problem on a car this expensive. I'll try posting on general tech and sedan to see if more people are experiencing the same problem.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by saltfish
You gotta ensure that the weight of the vehicle is not resting on the parking arm.

What i do when i'm parking is:
Come to a complete stop
Put transmission in neutral (this ensures that the vehicle isn't moving forward or back)
Push down the foot brake then slowly release the brake pedal
Push transmission in park.

When i'm about to drive off i first put the car in gear then release the foot brake. With this method i never get any clunk sound and it isn't hard to move from out of park either.
+1 This is the ideal way to park, make it a habit especially when parking on ramps/slopes.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:38 PM
t-bone1924

Originally Posted by russL
I have this problem on my G37 coupe. I had the same exact problem on my I30 years ago! Rather than fighting with the dealership both then and now, I learned to adapt to it by squeezing the shift release button twice quickly before the final squeeze while shifting out of park. Kind of like a quick double click of a computer mouse before trying to shift out of park. It's like second nature to me now and it never fails to unlock the shifter.