Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Getting annoyed with the 7AT "Flare" when shifting....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 AM
zoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
once you get some more miles on the car it seemed to drive better for me. really loosened up around 2200 miles. mileage shot up and smoother operation.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:07 PM
LINY_Rob

Originally Posted by Almatti
Frustrated 7 AT Owners : Took my 2010 G37X out the highway yesterday. Stuck in a lot of traffic (NY area yesterday was freakin incredible - bridges, tunnels, were backed up everywhere: Where was everyone going?), I specifically noticed aside from that "lagging" feeling at 40 mph or so, the car goes to 65 mph at 2000-2100-2200 RPMs, and lags there too. Feels like a lack of torque, lags in downshifting, and seems to me to "programmed" for that range. My 07 G35X with the Better 5spd AT was soooo much better & responsive. I am really disgusted, so sorry that I foolishly went for the new one when I could have bought the old one. This 7 spd AT, IMO, has ruined this car to increase the MPG. My dealer haa suggested to drive it DS mode which I guess I will do - but that will affect the mileage anyway. I've been sticking to the suggested Break In schedule, Screw It: I am going to push this car hard from now on.
I took my dealer's recommendation re: break-in: "just drive it!" And I have. I am not sure if it has helped avoid the low-speed bog others are talking about. What I definitely do enjoy is the 3.7L V6's ability to lope at a low rpm at a higher gear without a problem - and to actually pull at that engine speed when the 7AT decides it doesn't feel like downshifting. Sometimes the engine is pulling solidly below 1,500 rpm - even as low as 1,000 rpm (with my foot on the gas!). My 5AT couldn't even handle 1,500 rpm at 45 mph! The 3.7 has torque; but the throttle and transmission are tuned for fuel economy and somehow restrict power at some speeds in some gears. Even though the torquey motor can pull at low rpm, I can feel the motor doesn't really open up until past 3,000 rpm. This is evident in manual mode. Doesn't quite make sense ... so I just use a higher gear when I want more pull. Paddle shifting down and holding 2nd gear in manual mode to enjoy 4,500 - 6,000 rpm on highway ramps is really just amazing.

My solution: step on it! Or use the paddle shifters to step down a gear or two. And it's working. I have come to accept the 7AT for what it is - and that is making my experience much better. Earlier this week I was on leasetrader.com to determine if I could get rid of my G, and now I can't wait to drive the car again!

Step on it Almatti!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:05 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The car is happy when you step on it. Looks like you will be happier if you did.

Last edited by HappyG; 06-20-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Zoner, LINY and Fish: Thanks for reassuring me. I just took 'er for a 80 mile run over the weekend to wonderful Long Island. Farther's Day Night mare with the traffic. Soooo much Stop n Go. But while driving this cursed 7 AT, man I feel that "bog" at 30-20 MPH. It makes me hate it more!!!. I'm sending a letter to my Dealer Manager and Infiniti (I've owner a 2001 Pathfinder [fantastic vehicle] , a 2005 Altima SL V-6, and my great 2007 G35X), to express my great displeasure with this 2010 G37X performance. I don't think that they will do a "return" do You???. Not likely, but I have to put it in writing. Looking at the 2009 owners, who seem to exptress the same reactions to this 7 AT, I don't think there will be a "fix" - ECU reflash or otherwise. I will take your advice: I don't have much alternative to PUNCH IT....maybe like Zoner said it got better after 2200 miles on the clock. I am so disgusted and feel stupid that I didn't take longer and more than one Test drive. I ASSUMED (you guys know the other translation for theat word), being a Infiniti product, so highly rated by all the Consumer groups and auto magazines, that it wa a No Brainer to take the new one. My old one didn't have NAVI, now I do. But I need something sweet......to taake this SOUR taste out of my mouth. Sorry for rambling, but being disgusted in a long term comittment - this 39 month lease....will bother me throughout the entire period.. Man, I miss my 2007.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 PM
G35Rhino

Originally Posted by efuseakay
Just curious... how many of you babied the car for the first 1200 miles aka the break-in period?
I did...my problems didn't start until 6 mos. in when I made the mistake of having the dealer flash my tranny to the current code.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:57 PM
G35Rhino

Took mine back to dealer after having problems (moreso than usual) after transmission fluid change. Dumbasses had left it 2 quarts low on fluid after refilling. They gave me some song about "7AT really hard to fill". Whatever. Anyway car drove really, really well for 3 or 4 days after getting the fluid topped off but have noticed more and more lag, hunting for gears, etc. as it "learns" while I'm in heavy traffic for a couple days in a row. I do a lot of stop and go city driving and this car simply doesn't know what to do under those conditions. If you go light on the pedal it upshifts through the gears to the point it can't even pull itself at 5 mphs in traffic. If I give it heavy pedal it bogs down and then downshifts and rockets forward. Other times it shifts up, down, up, down and feels like I'm going to throw the U-joints out of the driveshaft clicking back and forth.

Infiniti f--ked up with the 7AT (or the marriage of sensors and programs and thier integration. I'd love to have the 5AT from my 2005 G35 in this car...it'd have some consistent pull to it then.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Almatti

EXACTLY...........G35RHINO, Bravo dissertation !! What I don't get: I didn't sense this in my relatively short Test Drive. I did some highway, stepping on it, some cruising, BUT mostly winding roads where there was no Stop N Go. The performance of the 7 AT in those situations is f----ing awful. Hate that Gear Hunting feeling of the original older Overdrive Auto trannys of yesteryear.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:54 PM
cvroom

my 7 speed is silky smooth. i really like how it downshifts when i slow down and it always seems to be in the right gear when i need to step on it. the power transfer is seamless and speed is visceral.

maybe the 7 at in your cars are acting up because they know you have been talking trash about them on myg37.com
Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cvroom
my 7 speed is silky smooth. i really like how it downshifts when i slow down and it always seems to be in the right gear when i need to step on it. the power transfer is seamless and speed is visceral.

maybe the 7 at in your cars are acting up because they know you have been talking trash about them on myg37.com
I have no complaints with mine either, in the 4,000 miles I have driven it.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:20 AM
g37musings

Mine has been fine until recently now it sometimes clunks and thuds when I take my foot off the accelerator...........Nice...........
Old 06-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Almatti

musings: That's because you just noticed it. The 40-25MPH de-acceleration, you know when coasting in traffic, is when you REALLY feel it. The 07 G35X with the trusty and spunky 5sp AT never did that. Its' for mileage, I'm telling you. Too large a a Gear at that speed - Overdrive at 35 to 40 MPH will do that..... Hope they come up with a Reflash of the system to correct it. IF ENOUGH PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS PERFORMANCE ISSUE, MAYBE INFINITI WILL PAY ATTENTION. IMO, those that say their tranny performance is fine, may be ignorant of how the car performed with the 5 spd AT. There was no gear hunting, there was nothing put Spunky Instant repsonse at any gear without having to be in DS Mode. The 7 AT iis better in DS or manual shifting mode, as my Dealer suggested to use regularly; I guess that's what I will do. I have been Punching It more - gforget the Break in schdule, it is a little better.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:16 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2k9 has an occasional flare when shifting from 2nd to 3rd .. particularly with a warm, driven engine...

Other than that.. the lag is nearly non-evident (i think i just got used to it) and the shifting not too slow.

I do agree, the car just shifts perfectly under WOT/full acceleration. It gets confused with mild/moderate acceleration.

I do notice that when I have a G37x loaner.. with the 17" rims... those car are quicker down low (0-30mph) than my G37xS with the 18" infiniti rims..

I presume this is because of the heavier, bigger wheels .. i feel like the loaner has another 20hp...
Old 06-26-2010, 06:10 PM
cvroom

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I do notice that when I have a G37x loaner.. with the 17" rims... those car are quicker down low (0-30mph) than my G37xS with the 18" infiniti rims..

I presume this is because of the heavier, bigger wheels .. i feel like the loaner has another 20hp...
I have not driven the g37xS but yea my g37x seems super quick off the line. i came from driving a 2000 accord v6 ex which i bought new. i used to think that was somewhat quick. now it feels sooooo slooooow.

Last edited by cvroom; 06-27-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Almatti

I found this in the M Forum. It is a link to a C D June 2010 magazine review of the new 2011 M 37. It is "Right On" concerning the new T 7 AT Tranny performance. I didn't know how the copy the entire thread, so I coiped this link. If you at edmunds.com review of the new M, it too alludes to the lagging 7 AT. Both reviewers tell the tales of the slow-to-repsond on throttle kick downs at highway speeds. They expressed it was clear Infiniti decided to spec the perforamce for more MPGs....Common Infiniti, fix this.

2011 Infiniti M37 - Short Take Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 AM
x95stacey

Does anybody have any updates with flaring? This morning the flare was really bad. It jumped 1000 rpm while shifting from 3-4 and 4-5. I wish I could have grabbed a video of it cuz that was the most pronounced jump I've experienced so far.

Quick Reply: Getting annoyed with the 7AT "Flare" when shifting....