Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Getting annoyed with the 7AT "Flare" when shifting....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 01:11 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Just curious... how many of you babied the car for the first 1200 miles aka the break-in period?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:45 AM
LINY_Rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay
Just curious... how many of you babied the car for the first 1200 miles aka the break-in period?
Definitely didn't baby the car. Drove it like the dealer told me to. I did "ease" into, i.e. I didn't do any full-throttle starts right away. Day by day I let the engine reach a higher rpm and took it easy on the transmission and brakes.

Did you baby yours?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:26 AM
exit9

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mw09g37
ditto.

I'm really sick of my throttle response... cause it's seriously in the wrong gear... I don't know what it's doing getting to 5th by 35-40mph... it's worse than the 5AT with that long 3rd gear.
Mine is the same. The car really struggles especially in stop and go traffic. The RPMs get so low in 5th I can feel the shifter vibrating when I rest my hand on it. To make matters worst, when it shifts down during that moment it rev-matches causing the car to engine brake eventhough your trying to accelerate. In bumper to bumper traffic it feels like I'm driving with one foot on gas and the other on the brake.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:42 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive been mindful of the issues in this thread while i drive my '10 g37x and i have not noticed them yet. im at 2600 miles.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:51 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by cvroom
ive been mindful of the issues in this thread while i drive my '10 g37x and i have not noticed them yet. im at 2600 miles.
I think it may have to do with your driving habits. Infiniti need to improve their algorithms to cover more cases.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed FishMeetFish. Just got my 2010 G37X - had a 2007 G35X. Man, I miss the performance of that car. I test drove the 2010 but only briefly - 15 minute drive. Only have my car a week - 300 miles on it. But that "open not Torque" feeling at about 40-50 MPH - below 2k RPM, sucks. Some people have said you have to play with the throttle, drive 'er in DS mode, but the 07 with the 5sp AT was Much Better.....more responsive - more sporty....Should have bought that car !! only had 25k miles at the end of the 39 month lease. "You don't know what you've got till it's GONE....
Old 06-19-2010, 12:00 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by LINY_Rob
Definitely didn't baby the car. Drove it like the dealer told me to. I did "ease" into, i.e. I didn't do any full-throttle starts right away. Day by day I let the engine reach a higher rpm and took it easy on the transmission and brakes.

Did you baby yours?
Didn't really baby it either... but wasn't driving like a bat out of Hell. lol

I do notice the lag at times... that's when I just mash down the gas more. hehe

I have a Hypertech box, but they haven't updated it for the 2010s yet. I'll have enough time behind the wheel by the time they update it, so I'm sure I'll be able to tell a difference if there is any.

I'll have all the performance mods that I want on the car by then. Already have ERZ HFCs... my FI CBE will be here next week, and I'll prob. go with an R2c intake... I can get a good deal from them directly since they are local, and they used my Maxima for the 6th Gen intake for that car.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:13 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cvroom
I'm at 3,300 miles on my 2010 and haven't had any these issues.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 AM
LINY_Rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After writing my post about the 7AT issues two days ago, I said "screw it" and drove my car that way I really want to - like a banshee with much heavier throttle in manual mode and using paddle shifters to downshift and upshift. It helped to forget the other issues, but I discovered that the car shifts much much better under firm throttle - in D and in manual mode. Lighter throttle input during shifting seems to exacerbate the 7AT issues. I have also developed a tremendous liking for the engine sound between 3,500 and 6,000 rpm.

But, after using the paddle shifters a lot, and then returning to D is when the transmission begins to downshift abruptly coming to a stop (2-1 downshift) with an alarming "clunk."

So I'm wondering if the extensive use of the paddle shifters contributes to issues with the 7AT, as some folks here state they haven't had any issues at all. Just wonderin' ...

ALMATTI: I hear you about the 5AT!!

Trying to make the most of my G ... I will continue to paddle-shift away under hard throttle ... woes me.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:03 AM
HappyG

Originally Posted by LINY_Rob
After writing my post about the 7AT issues two days ago, I said "screw it" and drove my car that way I really want to - like a banshee with much heavier throttle in manual mode and using paddle shifters to downshift and upshift. It helped to forget the other issues, but I discovered that the car shifts much much better under firm throttle - in D and in manual mode. Lighter throttle input during shifting seems to exacerbate the 7AT issues. I have also developed a tremendous liking for the engine sound between 3,500 and 6,000 rpm.

But, after using the paddle shifters a lot, and then returning to D is when the transmission begins to downshift abruptly coming to a stop (2-1 downshift) with an alarming "clunk."

So I'm wondering if the extensive use of the paddle shifters contributes to issues with the 7AT, as some folks here state they haven't had any issues at all. Just wonderin' ...
I don't have a paddle shifter, but I did experience a few "clunk" out of 1600 miles. It doesn't bother me that much. I guess it depends on the way I drive. With this car, I get reward for driving it a little firmer. It is a happy car with no issues when I drive it a little aggressive.

By the way, I totally regret I didn't get the sports (with paddle shifters) package. I feel my regret everyday! For those of you considering between G37x and G37xS, do yourself a favor, get the G37xS.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:12 AM
RedG37SNC

Part of the ECU's programming takes into account throttle possitioning and breaking to control shift points. With mild acceleration it's in the midrange around 4K, with heavy peddle it's near readline. With the 5AT you don't even feel engine breaking unless you're agressive with the breaking, and then it's rather cool to have the car automatically do it for you... I sometimes do it just for fun and the music of course. A good majority of the time you don't even need to use the paddles knowing this and having the accelerometer monitoring the curves. Drivng the G like this is a different feeling all together.. not the dictatorship of a 6MT but the symbiotic relationship of a man and his steed.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 06-19-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Almatti

LINY_ROB: I hear ya too. I,m still breaking my 2010 in. So I'm sticking to the Break in specs.....no over 4,000 RPMs. I do agree though if you "punch" it the 7 AT seems to work better, I like that engine sound too!!! But can't seem to ge past this 40 MPH - low RPM type of UnTorgue like drag. In that range of speed and RPMs, it feels too much like the first Overdrive Tranny used years ago in order to increase gas mileage. That's why Infiniti came up with the 7 speed tranny.....cut the real spunkiness and increase gas mileage. Hope they come up with an ECU Reflash that brings the performance up to to "speed"...
Old 06-19-2010, 08:45 PM
exit9

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just hit 4K miles today and the tranny still behaves the same way below 40mph. The 2-1 clunk, vehicle dragging in 5th gear at 25mph and continuous engine braking are still evident with the same intensity. Without a flash update I don't think I'll keep this car for very long. Some days it's tolerable and some days I just want to find the nearest gun shop and shoot the damn thing.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:14 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the paddle shifters are a bit obnoxious for me, my car has about 4500 miles and I only drive in ds mode now, seems to be the best mode for my 7 At
Old 06-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Almatti

Frustrated 7 AT Owners : Took my 2010 G37X out the highway yesterday. Stuck in a lot of traffic (NY area yesterday was freakin incredible - bridges, tunnels, were backed up everywhere: Where was everyone going?), I specifically noticed aside from that "lagging" feeling at 40 mph or so, the car goes to 65 mph at 2000-2100-2200 RPMs, and lags there too. Feels like a lack of torque, lags in downshifting, and seems to me to "programmed" for that range. My 07 G35X with the Better 5spd AT was soooo much better & responsive. I am really disgusted, so sorry that I foolishly went for the new one when I could have bought the old one. This 7 spd AT, IMO, has ruined this car to increase the MPG. My dealer haa suggested to drive it DS mode which I guess I will do - but that will affect the mileage anyway. I've been sticking to the suggested Break In schedule, Screw It: I am going to push this car hard from now on.

Quick Reply: Getting annoyed with the 7AT "Flare" when shifting....