Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Getting annoyed with the 7AT "Flare" when shifting....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:26 AM
blindman8858

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 09GMAN
I have noticed mine is getting worse. Just broke 1,200 miles, noticed it a ton on the way to work today, it is very annoying!
Lets try printing the TSB and taking it in to the dealer.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:37 AM
09GMAN

took mine into the dealer yesterday for this very issue. I only have 1200 miles on it, and it seems to be getting worse. Like I thought the tech could not duplicate the issue.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:31 PM
maxtog
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, I have an 2009 G37S 2WD AT. Bought it about 6 months ago and now have a little over 3,000 miles (I live close to work).

Just a few weeks ago it started with this "flare" stuff. I didn't know what it was called until I described it to my mechanic friend. Before a few weeks ago, it was extremely rare (if ever). But now it is getting worse and worse. On a five mile trip tonight, it happened 4 or 5 times and it is very annoying!!

It seems to happen to me mostly from 2 to 3 upshift and sometimes from 3 to 4 upshift. I also have the annoying harsh downshifts at times and overly aggressive engine breaking as described here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...downshift.html

I will contact the dealer soon to describe my issues. I have been searching the forum but only found this thread specifically about flaring, although I have seen no mention of a fix to address the flare, unless it is also covered in TSB: ITB09-032.

I will let the list know what I find out/what happens. Thanks everyone for posting information, myg37.com has already proven I AM NOT CRAZY AFTER ALL!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:13 AM
DEC1

I just got a '10 X sedan...this happened for the first time for me almost exactly at 1200 miles...my guess would be it has something to do with the learning algorithim of the tranny?
It has only happened to me maybe 2-3 times in about a week. Can't make it repeat...yet...
I see the last post here is back in Jan...any update? Now there's another thread that is discussing the same issue...maybe the mods can/should combine them?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:19 AM
x95stacey

Originally Posted by DEC1
I just got a '10 X sedan...this happened for the first time for me almost exactly at 1200 miles...my guess would be it has something to do with the learning algorithim of the tranny?
It has only happened to me maybe 2-3 times in about a week. Can't make it repeat...yet...
I see the last post here is back in Jan...any update? Now there's another thread that is discussing the same issue...maybe the mods can/should combine them?
I don't think it's the learning algorithim because mine is a year old and doing it more than ever now. I'm taking it in for service next week so I'll mention this flare to the dealer and see what they say.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:11 PM
maxtog
Registered Member

Well, I had ITB09-032 installed on Jan 19 2010 (on my 2009 G37S). It made an immediate difference. Less engine breaking, less harsh downshifting, and the flaring seemed to improve. But all three are still there, just less often. And the first few weeks seemed unusually great, but then it started happening more often (not as much as before ITB09-032, however). As some have pointed out, it seems to flare more often and more severely after I drive a while, then the car rests for a while (like at dinner), and then on the way home it will flare at least a few times.

I love this car, but not the transmission. Something is still not right. I am going to wait a while again, then take it back to the dealer and say "now what"?? I did tons of research before buying the G37S, and planned to have the car for at least 10 years. But I didn't expect to be annoyed and disappointed every time I drive it
Old 03-10-2010, 06:45 PM
cdso

I have the same issue. The problem is that it's random & infrequent at this point when I only have 900 miles on the G. What happens when I get to 10k, 30k, 50k?? People need to take their cars in and bring it to Infiniti's attention.

I have to agree with maxtog to a point. Coming from an 04 coupe, the 7At takes some getting used to. It's unrefined at slow speeds or light throttle, I find myself in the wrong gear frequently during rush hour, and I still haven't gotten used to the downshifting when slowing to take a turn (I guess my timing is off). But, when you floor it, the 7AT seems so happy...lol.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:57 PM
maxtog
Registered Member

It is now June 15, 4500 miles. I took the car back to the dealer for an inspection and also complained about the "flare" issues yet again. Of course it didn't do it for them when we tested it (seems to do it less when it is hot outside, and it might not have sit long enough undriven). They connected it to their computer anyway, and said it had no updates available 2009 G37S Sedan RWD 7AT
Old 06-16-2010, 02:00 PM
SnoopSER

Good luck! I hope this gets taken care of by Infinity, I don't have a G37 yet so I'm here to learn everything I can about them before I DO buy mine and hopefully this issue will be dealt with by then!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:59 AM
KLB

Are there different issues here? The orignal flare issue was very reproducible. There was really no randomness to it. If the car is warm, the first time it shifts from from either 3rd to 4th or 4th to fitfth (can't remember now), the rpms will jump a little just before it shifts. It will only happen the first time it hits that gear. I never checked to see if mine had to sit for a certain amount of time for it to happen again, once I turned it off.

I don't even notice it much any more.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:38 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine does this very infrequently. It doesn't really bother me though....
Old 06-17-2010, 10:09 PM
LINY_Rob

I spoke too soon - I am flaring! WTF?

In the "... [problem with] 4-3 downshift" thread, I had written the following with about 600 miles on my 2010 G37xS:

Originally Posted by LINY_Rob
I have been following this thread off and on for a while, and something I carefully considered before moving forward with my 2010 G37xS lease. For anyone else following this and especially for those considering a G ... the 7AT seems fine now. I had a 2009 G 7AT loaner which I thought was horrible. My 2010 7AT is nothing like that and seems vastly improved. Smooth quick shifts. Minimal (yet enjoyable) downshifting while braking in D. There is no hard 4-3 downshift on braking (my previous 2006 Accord EX V6 sedan had more abrupt downshifting while braking). No flaring (I particularly remember this with a 2009 loaner I drove - it was bizarre). It is a little odd coming off the line with light throttle. Coming out of a 2008 G35xS 5AT sedan whose transmission I thought was the best in the world ... I am definitely content with the 7AT ... it's actually amazing. I know this is not helpful for folks trying to get their 7AT to function properly ... but for someone who has been following and considering pulling the trigger ... it seems fixed!
Now with almost 1,700 miles on my G37xS, I am experiencing more and more issues with the 7AT. What began as a smooth and crisp-enough transmission has developed into a confused, slightly clunky flaring mess. It's starting to ruin the entire experience of the car. The transmission is starting to flare in every gear including paddle-shifted 6th-7th gear changes. Ugh.

And why-why-why is 2nd gear SO short and third gear seems to hang on forever! Either I start off smooth and then I am behind traffic, or I start-off more quickly and need to let off the throttle so I don't rear-end the car in front of me because 3rd gear holds for an eternity. I believe Infiniti made a terror of a deal with the fuel economy gods. I am starting to miss my 2008 G35xS 5AT more and more. Screw the 1-1.5 mpg improvement with the 7AT! And then the transmission just continues to flare ... but not all the time ... only sometimes. It seems to happen more if I am letting off the throttle (which I believe someone else eluded to as a cause in this or another thread). But under harder throttle to avoid the flaring - then I am on top of the car in front of me. It's so frustrating.

Downshifting with paddle shifters ... there's no other way to say it - it's starting to suck. The downshifts are not smooth and are getting more and more abrupt - instead of one quick downshift, it shifts and then there's a another little downshift followed by an abrupt clunk. The shifts are quick enough for me, but not like the 5AT with respect to smoothness. It's as if the downshift rev matching feature is not working properly. The 5AT responded with a certainty that the 7AT lacks.

However, the upshifting with the paddle shifters under moderate-to-hard acceleration is really, really good. I find myself doing this more and more just so that I don't get upset about the other issues.

I don't know what to think ... or what to do. I am beginning to experience buyer's remorse. I definitely spoke too soon. (I just had to vent)

WTF?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Make a video, post it out on YouTube, call Infiniti customer affairs 800.662.6200 and send them the link and say you an a lot of other members on a major forum are experiencing this problem and dealers consistently aren't able to reproduce.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ditto.

I'm really sick of my throttle response... cause it's seriously in the wrong gear... I don't know what it's doing getting to 5th by 35-40mph... it's worse than the 5AT with that long 3rd gear.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 AM
G35Rhino

DITTO -> my 2009 has 30k mi. on it now and it's getting worse and worse (yes I had the TCM reprogrammed back in July). I had the rough down shift before teh reprog...wish I still had it as I've had nothing but problems since the "the fix". See my other transmission postings and threads.

New transmission fun: I took it in for service last Wed. and got a call that I need to change my transmission fluid/filter due to "fluid color" and of course it isn't covered by my maintenance plan. Got it back and it drove like a champ for 1 day. Then I went on a 400 mile roundtrip road trip and the problems (flares, gear hunting, etc.) came back with vengance. I'm taking it back in tomorrow morning so they can check the fluid levels and drive it. I had 3 instances of slowing down to a rolling stop and trying to acclerate out of the roll and the car basically was in neutral for 2 seconds before slamming (clunk) into some gear (first I guess) and literally locking the tires up for a second before upshifting. I also have had several instances of "slippage". Press the gas from a stop and RPM's go up to 2,500 - 3,000 and then gradually engages and starts rolling as the RPM's slowing go down kinda like a slipping clutch in a manual transmission. Normally my flare is repeatable and this does not feel like that although they are similar.

Quick Reply: Getting annoyed with the 7AT "Flare" when shifting....