Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine Control Unit being Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Zydan
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation Engine Control Unit being Replaced

09 G37 w/Nav --- 3000 Miles

I had scheduled an appointment today at Infiniti service department due to the same problems a lot of people on here seem to be experiencing.
Seemed like the RPM was flaring and shifting awkward as well as that popping feel when it's searching for the gear.
I happened to see the TSB posted in one of the threads here so took that with me.
They had not heard of it, so I showed it to the service manager, he was very interested in it.
Anyways a couple of hours later I get a call that they are going to have to keep my vehicle over night.
They said whenever they took the car to the back, the engine service light was on, and now they have to replace the ECU, Engine Computer. (The engine light had not been on any time prior)
They also said that the TSB did not pertain to my vehicle...
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this? I'm worried as I'm sure everyone is that this is going to be an on going problem.
I'm supposed to have the car back tomorrow, so we'll see.

Last edited by Zydan; 07-02-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Engine Computer - Not Engine Control --- Sorry
Old 07-02-2009, 07:37 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The MIL lamp would have been a separate issue than you reported. I would suspect that the ECU replacement was due to that.

As for the TSB, I assume you're referring to the one for the downshift smoothness, and it should definitely apply to your car. Your description of your issue sounds different so not sure if that's what you explained to them but nonetheless the TSB is applicable - they may not have the latest info though. Also, it requires reprogramming of the TCM (Transmission Control Module), not the ECU, so the ECU issue seems separate.

Last edited by SkyMG37x; 07-02-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:25 PM
09xs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
out of curiousity when u floor it and let it shift does it make a squealing noise between gears??
Old 07-02-2009, 09:00 PM
brynomon

Originally Posted by Zydan
09 G37 w/Nav --- 3000 Miles

I had scheduled an appointment today at Infiniti service department due to the same problems a lot of people on here seem to be experiencing.
Seemed like the RPM was flaring and shifting awkward as well as that popping feel when it's searching for the gear.
I happened to see the TSB posted in one of the threads here so took that with me.
They had not heard of it, so I showed it to the service manager, he was very interested in it.
Anyways a couple of hours later I get a call that they are going to have to keep my vehicle over night.
They said whenever they took the car to the back, the engine service light was on, and now they have to replace the ECU, Engine Control. (The engine light had not been on any time prior)
They also said that the TSB did not pertain to my vehicle...
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this? I'm worried as I'm sure everyone is that this is going to be an on going problem.
I'm supposed to have the car back tomorrow, so we'll see.
First it would help if you specified your transmission type and model. Second it would help if you clarified which TSB you refer to. If you are referring to the TSB regarding a rough 4th gear to 3rd gear shift it is posted right on infiniti's TSB publication site at http://www.infiniti-techinfo.com/TSB....aspx?id=55458. It sounds like you have two separate issues and they should know that. You went to them first for engine issues and you also requested that they reprogram the TCM to fix another issue (downshifting) that wasn't addressed until recently.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:26 PM
stardust
Premier Member

Originally Posted by brynomon
First it would help if you specified your transmission type and model.
its a 46 speed autotragic... seriously its an 09 37 what trans do you think is going to be in it?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Zydan
Registered Member

First of all it was supposed to be Engine Computer, not Engine Control~ Sorry about that.

Originally Posted by brynomon
First it would help if you specified your transmission type and model.
09 G37 Sedan 7 Speed Automatic Journey Model

Originally Posted by 09xs
out of curiousity when u floor it and let it shift does it make a squealing noise between gears??
I haven't experience any squealing.

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
As for the TSB, I assume you're referring to the one for the downshift smoothness, and it should definitely apply to your car. Your description of your issue sounds different so not sure if that's what you explained to them but nonetheless the TSB is applicable - they may not have the latest info though. Also, it requires reprogramming of the TCM (Transmission Control Module), not the ECU, so the ECU issue seems separate.
Yes, that's the one I'm talking about. I took a copy of the TSB to them to show, on the TSB it says for G37 Sport Sedan and mine's not a sport Sedan, so maybe that's the reason.
Here's the link another member posted of a picture of the TSB.
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=550499
The service guy stated, and I quote, "We had a technician check out the TSB and there was no update to your TCM, transmission control Module, it either did not need it or yours had the most update software in it."
Well I know I don't have the most recent update since I purchased car in early May and the TSB didn't come out till June 26th.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 PM
gdub172

I just took my car in today at my local Infiniti dealership to handle the rough downshift between 4th and 3rd gear. Took the same information provided at: http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=550499 and advised that they have not heard of this, however the TSB was able to help. Received a call 3 hours later and on my receipt its states the following:

Performed Bulletin 09-032 Reprogrammed TCM

Replace old part #31039-1XJ4A new part #31039-3RX0C

The ECU issue is totally seperate from the TSB for the TCM.

I drove my car back to work and the rough downshift is no longer there. Great info all!
Old 07-02-2009, 11:15 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Yes, that's the one I'm talking about. I took a copy of the TSB to them to show, on the TSB it says for G37 Sport Sedan and mine's not a sport Sedan, so maybe that's the reason.
Here's the link another member posted of a picture of the TSB.
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=550499
The service guy stated, and I quote, "We had a technician check out the TSB and there was no update to your TCM, transmission control Module, it either did not need it or yours had the most update software in it."
Well I know I don't have the most recent update since I purchased car in early May and the TSB didn't come out till June 26th.
I just noticed that the TSB shows G37 Sport Sedan or Sport Coupe. However I believe that's not a reference to the Sport option and misleading because there is nothing special about the transmission in the Sport option. All G37's with 7AT, whether Coupe or Sedan, share the same drivetrain. Now when they hook up the programming unit to the car and read the TCM it will display a part number to compare to the TSB list (shown apparently on latter pages of the TSB) to verify it's applicability (the previous post above shows this) and all 7ATs should be applicable. I believe there's at least one forum user with a non-Sport model that has had the TSB update applied.

Last edited by SkyMG37x; 07-02-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 PM
gdub172

Your right, I have an 09 G37 w/ Prem and Navi. No "sport" option and I was still having the same issue with the rough downshift. SkyMG37x is correct, TSB is very misleading and does not necessarily mean that you have to have the "sport" option as this was the case for me.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Zydan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gdub172
Your right, I have an 09 G37 w/ Prem and Navi. No "sport" option and I was still having the same issue with the rough downshift. SkyMG37x is correct, TSB is very misleading and does not necessarily mean that you have to have the "sport" option as this was the case for me.
Hmmm well I don't know what to do, I guess maybe I can ask for proof that I don't need it? I really don't know what that would be though... possibly I can ask for my part number and see if it matches up to yours?

Last edited by Zydan; 07-02-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:53 PM
gdub172

First, I would ask to see if they have any information to why the ECU now needs to be replaced?

Second, while your G37 is already at the dealership then I would link it back to the TSB update for the TCM and while it's there, just get it done.

The TSB should give them all the needed information on how to handle this issue. My dealership here had no problem in correcting this. I just hope that you don't spend too much time dealing with them, and just be specific on your approach and I would push for more information due to your issue.

Hope everything goes well for you
Old 07-03-2009, 12:03 AM
gdub172

Hmmm well I don't know what to do, I guess maybe I can ask for proof that I don't need it? I really don't know what that would be though... possibly I can ask for my part number and see if it matches up to yours?
It won't hurt to try, not sure if part number is specific or generally the same with all 7AT.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:50 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Ask your service advisor to call their Infiniti technical support line to verify that the TSB does in fact apply. If they still claim that it doesn't, you can also call Infiniti customer service and ask them for assistance.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Zydan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gdub172
I just took my car in today at my local Infiniti dealership to handle the rough downshift between 4th and 3rd gear. Took the same information provided at: http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=550499 and advised that they have not heard of this, however the TSB was able to help. Received a call 3 hours later and on my receipt its states the following:

Performed Bulletin 09-032 Reprogrammed TCM

Replace old part #31039-1XJ4A new part #31039-3RX0C

The ECU issue is totally seperate from the TSB for the TCM.

I drove my car back to work and the rough downshift is no longer there. Great info all!
What dealership did you use?
I want to call them and ask them how they find out if a car needs the update.
My service guy said they hook the car up to something that is linked nationally, and run the check and my car came up with no update needed.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:25 PM
gdub172

I took my car at Niello Infiniti east of San Francisco. The service advisor's name was Anneliese Malley phone 925.676.0200, hope this helps..