Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Car Running Rich!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Jatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car Running Rich!!!!

I have had the stillen headers, stillen gen 3 intake and berk hfc and magnaflow exhaust running for 3 months now. Every time i drive i get that annoying whistle sound and my back bumper gets a thin layer of black sooth.. I think the car is running too rich. Any thoughts for what might be some solutions to fix this problem. I know some massive tunning needs to happen. But i need some thoughts from you guys to get a good grasp of things. Any comments are appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2BvBX_YWYY
STILLEN GEN 3....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BVqPjzvpJg
Under the car and all around ......

Last edited by Jatt; 06-28-2009 at 08:10 PM. Reason: NEW vids
Old 06-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Thrillhouse

If it's whistling I bet there's an intake leak somewhere after the MAF. Air is escaping that has already been metered by the ECU, causing it to inject more fuel than it needs for the actual amount of air making it to the cylinders. Try to find where it is whistling, there might just be a loose hose or clamp.

Getting a tune wouldn't be a bad idea, but you need to make sure the intake tract is airtight before you start messing with the fuel maps.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:46 PM
akuma_83

^^^ I second that, the whistle noise that you are hearing is a leak ! encountered the same problem on my 4AGZE Hachi Roku, ran rich and had a whistling noise on acceleration, come to find out it was caused by my exhaust leaking... have someone help you to find where the noise is coming from, and troubleshoot from there, GL !

Or like what Thrillhouse was mentioning, get a tune... or a Cobb AP if you have the money, judging by your mods list, im sure you do !
Old 06-27-2009, 07:17 PM
christian655321

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
car comes from the factory running rich, did you resest your ecu after the mods. I remember mine was running rich when i had these mods also.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:19 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Mods will actually get you running lean not rich, that's why we get a tune to richen them. I have to agree with the other folks, sounds like a leak to me

Good Luck
Old 06-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Jatt

went to the exhaust shop and they had a listen. The flex pipe in the magnaflow was damaged. I replaced it the flex pipe. I think the whistle noise is coming to the berk cats. i don't know how my intakes can be leaking. i checked and listened its coming from under the car not from the engine bay. If it is suppose to be running lean, then i am even more lost. Let take some vids and pictures to help you guys see and hear.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Jatt

after all the diagnostic, the sounds still remains. The sound happens around 1900-2000 rpms only. it only happens when i am decelerating. i think its the same noise that other people have that have berk cats on. But i do not understand why is it running rich. it is so frustrating
Old 06-28-2009, 02:41 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
Mods will actually get you running lean not rich, that's why we get a tune to richen them. I have to agree with the other folks, sounds like a leak to me

Good Luck
Not true, the ECU does a good job compensating fuel for mods so it actually runs richer then stock. When I was checking my air fuel for the mods installed in my signature (headers, high flow cats, catback, and intake), I was running between 11.6 - 11.8 at wide open throttle. That is way richer then stock ratios. So in actuality the tune needs to lean the car out a little bit in order to make power. Each ECU responds differently though, so not all cars will be as giving to mods as others. That's just my car with short ram intakes, I don't know how much different the cold air intakes change your ratios.

OP is right when he said his car is running rich, it probably is. When I installed my headers it changed the tone of the exhaust and I was running richer too.

Last edited by Staples; 06-28-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 AM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
please do me a favor and make a video i woluld love to not only hear the car, but also try n help determine the sound you are hearing...

i think you might hear the x pipe noise, common with magnaflow and other exhausts...or you can have an intake leak like the others mentioned...

did you use those obnoxious clamps that are useless unless you have turbo setup ???

hope this gets resolved b4 it drives you nuts!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Jatt

yea i used the clamps on my exhaust and i am about to psot some video soon. I am going to check my o2 sensors that was stripped when i took it out of the stock headers. I re did the thread on the o2 sensor and put it back in. i checked my headers from the top of the car and they seem ok near the o2 sensor. There is no sign of any black sooth anywhere in my engine bay or near the headers. But i will jack up the car and do a close up inspection of the o2 sensors.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:27 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Sometimes the sound from headers can sound like an exhaust leak. Have a muffler shop put it on a lift and check it out for you.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Jatt

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Sometimes the sound from headers can sound like an exhaust leak. Have a muffler shop put it on a lift and check it out for you.
had a muffler shop look at it and they found the left flex pipe was damaged and they replaced it. it didn't make the swooossshhh sound go away, which happens at 2000k rpm. they also told me i am running rich. and i need to get it tuned.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
the swoosh sound is normal. it's been there ever since you bought the car. the difference now is that your exhaust system is amplifying the sound and so it is more audible. If you have good hearing, you can actually faintly hear it on a stock exhaust when going under the car.