Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Why the hate for Stillen Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:50 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stillens exhaust wasnt much better than stock for the coupe... The sound was actually alot louder than stock so your comment about not being loud enough goes out the window...

The tips stick out too far... and basically when it comes down to it... theres alot better exhaust out there than to "settle" for stillen... and if your worried about money? 1k for an exhaust? well then theres Magnaflow exhaust which you can get for under 500 bucks which people on this forum seem to love...

if you want your question answered more thoroughly... do a search and read all the threads that have to do with it...

its a nice exhaust... theres just alot better out there... thats all i really think it is...
Old 06-04-2009, 07:53 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
Stillens exhaust wasnt much better than stock for the coupe... The sound was actually alot louder than stock so your comment about not being loud enough goes out the window...

The tips stick out too far... and basically when it comes down to it... theres alot better exhaust out there than to "settle" for stillen... and if your worried about money? 1k for an exhaust? well then theres Magnaflow exhaust which you can get for under 500 bucks which people on this forum seem to love...

if you want your question answered more thoroughly... do a search and read all the threads that have to do with it...

its a nice exhaust... theres just alot better out there... thats all i really think it is...
I think there is a big different between the coupe and sedan set up.

Plus the sedan has ALOT less options.....as in none.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:53 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yea i know... i was speaking on the coupes behalf.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses
Customer service issues? Product issues? Maybe I got lucky, but Stillen was the only manufacturer I could find that made exhaust for the Sedan, and their customer service as well as product was top notch. That was, of coures the only exhaust I could find for the Sedan until after I installed the Stillen unit, then I came across somebody that has the FI exhaust on their sedan. I have no regrets though, thankfully.
Bad customer service, products that are of less than top quality, and the only reason you found the exhaust for your sedan was that Stillen was first to market. (read: less R&D time).

Browse www.g35driver.com and my350z.com for Stillen experiences.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:12 PM
StopTheExcuses

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I think there is a big different between the coupe and sedan set up.

Plus the sedan has ALOT less options.....as in none.
Exactly. I think my question came off wrong to MaxToTheG37. Also, I apologize if I came off wrong in my rebuttal to your comment, I jumped the gun a little. And yeah, I think the only two exhausts for the Sedan are the Stillen, and the FI. I went to fast intentions web sight, and they don't list the exhaust for the sedan, but they do have it, you just have to call. That's all I've been able to find, and contrary to MaxToTheG37 belief, I've searched and read just about every exhaust thread there is, and started my own thread asking about exhausts specifically for the Sedan, and nobody knew of anything.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:14 PM
StopTheExcuses

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37

Thank you, you have helped answer my question. I had no idea it was much louder than stock, and the tips stuck out too far. And, no, $1,000 is nowhere near too much to pay for an exhaust, nor was I on a budget when looking for an exhaust. That's not what I was getting at. I was alluding to that on the Sedan, the Stillen unit seems like a steal for the quality you get, fitment, sound, and the inclusion of the Y-Pipe, thus me wondering why nobody else has it on the coupe.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:30 PM
StopTheExcuses

Originally Posted by G37Rider92649
My personal opinion, I think most Stillen Products svck, I think they're over-rated and cost too much especially for the quality you get. For the price you pay you can get something else for better most definitely. As for customer service, they're there but I don't think they know their own product for the vq very much, seems like they're just trained to think as our stiff stillen stuff is better and that's it, go technical and they get confused. I have seen people with their superchargers get no help from their own company when they had questions and had to figure how to do things on their own. But heck, everybody has their own stories and opinions. I like the Stillen front license plate bracket though
Thank you for your unbiased opinion. And yes, I've heard the Stillen Superchargers do svck. I've personally spanked two Stillen Supercharged G35's with my little old 2.0 liter Nissan 240, I knew something was up. Lol.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:54 PM
StopTheExcuses

Originally Posted by Mike
Bad customer service, products that are of less than top quality, and the only reason you found the exhaust for your sedan was that Stillen was first to market. (read: less R&D time).

Browse www.g35driver.com and my350z.com for Stillen experiences.
Cool, I'll check out those web sites. But, I'm no so sure about the less R&D time being the reason Stillen was the first to market the exhaust for the G37 Sedan. I think it has more to do with generally less people modding the Sedan, esp exhaust systems, thus less people want to make an exhaust for the Sedan, and Stillen just happend to be one of the only companies that did. I mean, hell, the current G Sedan bodystyle came out in 07, which is by no means a rush on the R&D for a simple exhaust system.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Mike

As long as you're happy with the product you have, that is all that really matters

Off the top of my head:

Stillen
Invidia
Fast Intentions
Altered Atmosphere
HKS (not available here)
Amuse (not available here)
Old 06-04-2009, 11:03 PM
StopTheExcuses

Originally Posted by Mike
As long as you're happy with the product you have, that is all that really matters

Off the top of my head:

Stillen
Invidia
Fast Intentions
Altered Atmosphere
HKS (not available here)
Amuse (not available here)
For the Sedan?? Full Catback? Obviously I could put any brand name mufflers on the car. The only two that I know for sure are the FI, and Stillen. That is without flying to Japan and donating a kidney. Edit, I actually see the Invidia now for the sedan, it must have JUST came out as the first thread I found the Sedan exhaust on was dated 5/18/2009 and it was just arrived. I could not find the Altered Atmosphere Sedan exhaust when goggling, just the coupes. I didn't even look for the others since the HKS and Amuse are only available in Japan, that does me no good. Where were you when I started this thread??? LOL.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/modding...g37-sedan.html

Last edited by StopTheExcuses; 06-04-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:15 PM
saltfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you have any sound clip of the exhaust?

I personally love the stock sound but want it just a little bit louder and debating on which exhaust would better sooth my needs.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 PM
StopTheExcuses

Originally Posted by saltfish
do you have any sound clip of the exhaust?

I personally love the stock sound but want it just a little bit louder and debating on which exhaust would better sooth my needs.
I don't, but I will try to make one tomorrow for you. I'm realllly picky when it comes to certain mods, and I DID NOT want this car to turn into a loud and obnoxious sounding vehicle, as I already have one of those. Lol.

The sound is just enough louder than stock so you know it's aftermarket, but never obtrusive, nor never wearing on you during highway trips, nor does it change the stock sound, only deepens and amplifies it. Sounds great, it really does. I do not think you would be disappointed with this exhaust considering you are looking for the same qualities in an exhaust that I was.

Btw, thanks again for the VIN for the Infiniti Rewards Mastercard program!! It's going to pay for over half of my Tanabe Sustec S-OC's once they arrive from Japan!

Last edited by StopTheExcuses; 06-04-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 PM
saltfish

No problem, anytime, i also received my rewards card as well and that $150 contributed towards an ipod for the G.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses
For the Sedan?? Full Catback? Obviously I could put any brand name mufflers on the car. The only two that I know for sure are the FI, and Stillen. That is without flying to Japan and donating a kidney. Edit, I actually see the Invidia now for the sedan, it must have JUST came out as the first thread I found the Sedan exhaust on was dated 5/18/2009 and it was just arrived. I could not find the Altered Atmosphere Sedan exhaust when goggling, just the coupes. I didn't even look for the others since the HKS and Amuse are only available in Japan, that does me no good. Where were you when I started this thread??? LOL.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/modding...g37-sedan.html
Sorry

FWIW, you can always have a custom exhaust made, and I knew some EXCELLENT fabricators
Old 06-05-2009, 12:00 PM
DCook42

Originally Posted by WildWes
Congrats on the new exhaust.
I have the coupe, and I prefer 2 separate canisters in the rear, it looks meaner.
I've got the Stillen cat-back, and I've always been a fan - had one on my Maxima a few years ago and liked that one too. It sounds responsible, until you get on it.... but now with other mods the car has become more aggressive sounding unless you are cruising in 6th gear. In terms of getting better bang for your buck, maybe you can, but I felt I knew what I was getting - and I bought my stuff used from juang37 in these forums who is getting a TT setup (BTW Juan you still owe me those TIPS!!!) so I got a helluva deal.

There actually is 2 distinct canisters, however they are mounted back-to-back with each other and as such appear as a single one with a quick glance. I do believe they are separate though, as opposed to a magna-flow or other that looks similar and the air gets mixed before leaving the tailpipes.

In short despite it's critics, I'm very happy with the quality, the sound, and the performance of my Stillen set up. I hope to dyno it someday, to see if the numbers match what I feel subjectively.

Quick Reply: Why the hate for Stillen Exhaust?