Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

In need of help from 7AT Owner’s

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:01 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice work -- sticky sticky
Old 07-18-2009, 05:00 PM
HoustonG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have noticed this problem for the last 2-3K miles. I had the TSB performed for the rough downshift from 4th to 3rd (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...wnshift-6.html), but this hasn't solved the problem. I'm still experiencing the flare issue. I plan to bring it up at my next service appointment.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:50 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike S.
My car does it too. It basically feels like the t/c is unlocking as it shifts from say 3rd to 4th...so the rpm's will jump up as its midshift....and then fall with the engagement of the next gear.
Me too - it's very distressing when you would to go some direction quickly. Nope - my car says, it ain't gonna happen, buddy - first I gotta lag an be lazy on the throttle we'll getcha there - what's the hurry buddy? Oh, and then as you're merge in into traffic, heu about a little pop into nuetral right when you stomp on it do that you get a hug rpm flare, then car dumps back into gear and away you go with all kinds lights glaring at you from around the DIC....yellow, red, aaahhhhrrrrg!

No fun at all.The craziest transmision ever....please tellme threre is tdb or a fixxx
Old 07-19-2009, 01:05 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaxdOut
I recently took my G37X in to get the first oil change at 1300 miles. I also had them check the transmission since I had what they called a ‘RPM Flare’ at around 40 MPH on normal acceleration. The scenario is that the car is driven and warmed up then allowed to sit for an hour and driven again. On the second drive, once the speed gets close to 40 MPH, the transmission would shift into the next gear but before dropping into gear the RPM would jump by 500 before dropping. There is no noticeable jerk in the transmission and is only noticed by engine sound visual confirmation on the TACH. They are saying it is normal due to the two torque converters and will test another car to see if it happens to that.

What I am hoping is some of you with a 7AT can do a simple test to confirm whether this is normal or not, so if you could help out it would be deeply appreciated.

What needs to be done:
1. Drive your car like normal.
2. Let it sit for an hour (engine off, go shopping, have a quick dinner or something)
3. Drive it again paying attention to the RPM at around 35 – 45 MPH and note if you have any flare’s in the RPM

I am really stressed out about this, and not knowing if this is (lemon) or is not an issue is preventing me from enjoying the car.

got the same thing, my man. it's very distressing.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So infiniti needs another TSB for this. Lets just keep hounding them. Then the tranny will be pefrect b/c the 7AT really is a pretty sweet piece.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:07 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I am told this is something that's still being worked on but please keep bringing it up with the dealer and let them know this is still an issue.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Mike P

So infiniti needs another TSB for this. Lets just keep hounding them. Then the tranny will be pefrect b/c the 7AT really is a pretty sweet piece.
Agreed. I plan onn taking mine in next week. I will bring it up to my dealer.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
OK, talked to my contact and as of now there is NO OTHER UPDATES BEING WORKED ON TO ADDRESS THE TRANS FLARE AT THIS TIME. People, Infiniti will not do anything about the flare unless we complain. If your sitting on your @ss in hopes that someone else will do it for you, it won't happen. YOU NEED TO TELL YOUR DEALER AND INFINITI CONSUMER AFFAIRS.

IFS Customer Service
P.O. Box 660360
Dallas, TX 75266-0360
800-627-4437
7:00am to 7:00pm. Monday through Friday. Central Time
Old 07-25-2009, 12:25 AM
saltfish

It would be nice if someone could post a video of this flare because i'm not 100% sure of what to look for or if i even have this problem.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:41 AM
Mike S.

I will asap. Where can i host it?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:14 AM
KLB

I will asap. Where can i host it?
If you send it to me I can host it for you. I have a website that I mess around with.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:16 PM
BluSlate37x

Downshift Issue and burning

I have the transmission downshift issue - when I first got my G in March, they said there was nothing wrong and that they reset the computer. So what you guys are confirming is that there IS a fix for it now?
Do I need to reference any TSB?

Also, I have noticed a smell, somewhat of a burning smell coming from front area after driving awhile. When new, dealer said it was break in...but now 3200 miles and still doing it. Anyone had this??
Old 07-29-2009, 07:50 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BluSlate37x
I have the transmission downshift issue - when I first got my G in March, they said there was nothing wrong and that they reset the computer. So what you guys are confirming is that there IS a fix for it now?

Also, I have noticed a smell, somewhat of a burning smell coming from front area after driving awhile. When new, dealer said it was break in...but now 3200 miles and still doing it. Anyone had this??
I had another car that did this in the first few thousand miles - it was ll of the protective crap sprayed onto the engine parts burning off.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 PM
KLB

Originally Posted by BluSlate37x

I noticed a smell too when I first bought the car. It eventually went away, but I can not say for sure when it did. It was longer than I expected though.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Mike S.

Agreed! I smelled my car burining junk off metal parts for a while...several weeks...almost a month i'd say.

Quick Reply: In need of help from 7AT Owner’s