Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review My Dyno, G37 + Cobb AccessPort = My Experience..

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:59 AM
chamelieon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Dyno, G37 + Cobb AccessPort = My Experience..

Where do i begin... well I have been meaning to do this review for myself and for everyone else that is performance oriented on this forum. I wanted to basically do a few a runs on my dyno and datalog what the car was doing during the process so there is no guessing on whats going on.

let me start by saying I baselined my G37 with under 1000 miles on the clock which produced 285whp. im not going to post that graph because it was a few months ago and not the same day i did the testing so for arguments sake im not using that for comparison just reference.

I installed BERK High Flow Cats a few days ago and I have had my Cobb Accesport for a few weeks now. since day 1 with the Cobb App I flashed Stage1 map since I was bone stock and was waiting to install the Berks to finally flash the stage2 map on the dyno and do some comparisons..

I have the Innovative OT-1 datalog tool and logged all runs so I knew what was happening in the process with the different maps. so lets begin.

This is Run #1, stage1 CObb map flashed, stock intakes, stock exhaust, Berk HFC.

This is Run #2, stage2 Cobb map flashed, stock intakes, stock exhaust, Berk HFC.

This is Run#3, STOCK STYLE MAP, Stock intakes + exhaust, BERK HFC.

Now you may ask well what did each run produce in power?
pretty simple.. check it out for yourself..

Runfile1 = Stage1 Map.
Runfile7 = Stage2 Map.
Runfile9 = STOCK MAP.

After multiple runs trying different ways to make the cobb maps make any decent power I decided to flash the stock map to at least show how much better the Cobb maps were compared to a stock map .. and yes i was very surprised by what happened on the 1st run with the STOCK STYLE MAP thats on the AP, thats when i thought to myself .. what the hell are the stage 1 and 2 maps even doing??? if you notice the dataloggs they are almost all identical ..makes no sense to me. there are differences in fuel ratio between the different maps, but basically thats it.

I wasnt able to get the OT1 working for the actual 1st run on the stock map which produced 299.04whp and was the cleanest and smoothest run I had all night, so i didnt bother posting it. I logged the second run which produced the 298, thats why I posted that run instead.

Bottomline I have always tuned all my cars myself and hope Cobb can finally release the tuning software so I can get some real power out of this motor, since its in need of some REAL tuning. there is so much thats wrong with how this motor runs on all the maps its not even funny.

so please any questions, comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 AM
chris9012

interesting results how stock is better than stage 1. stage 2 you get 6hp i wonder how much a catback would increase your results by
Old 12-09-2008, 01:32 AM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they need to resolve all these mapping issues, i know its in the making but its not right to put something on the market when its running "half assed" maps IMO

Last edited by vinnys coupe; 12-09-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:06 AM
chamelieon

Originally Posted by chris9012
interesting results how stock is better than stage 1. stage 2 you get 6hp i wonder how much a catback would increase your results by
im going to make custom intakes, and prob get the Y pipe next. once i was under the car its so obvious that thing is sooo restrictive. after that the piping is very decent. all depends how bad the oem muffler is. but every mod i do I will follow up with dyno runs to see how much each part adds in power.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:19 AM
shabbo
Registered Member

I agree!

I'm surprised that the TPS is still restricted!

Results show that the timing is steeper but then again it could just be the ECU doing it's thing.Same for the AFR

Also it's strange that the voltage dips below 1 V

I wish there was a list of variables that Cobb provides to give customers an idea of what parameters are being changed...without that it's a blindfolded leap of faith.

Thanks for the info on this project!!
Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 AM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Manny is the guy that did all my dyno runs...

seems like we both ran in 2 this issue..lol..we need some tuned maps 4 sure dude....this off the shelf map blows....
Old 12-09-2008, 02:52 AM
chamelieon

Originally Posted by NJlakeshoreG
Manny is the guy that did all my dyno runs...

seems like we both ran in 2 this issue..lol..we need some tuned maps 4 sure dude....this off the shelf map blows....
yeah man you got me beat!

Runfile9 is NJLakeshoreG (Mike) with stillen gen3s, Berk HFCs, Magnaflow Exhaust.
Runfile8 is me stock everything but BERK HFCs. all runs were done in 4th gear.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:02 AM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

that extra power is prob all intake lean...lol...

but i got someone doing a tune 4 me, so im waiting for it...then ill come back thru and put it back on ur rollers dude..next time ill come earlier to spend more time...rather then driving 3 hours in the rain..and bouncin after a bangin chicken parm..lol
Old 12-09-2008, 03:35 AM
QBagent08

damn chamelieon putting up dyno sheets up ... imagine that on b20 lol ... Not bad numbers though ... I want 2.. you heard about Junya's car?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:08 AM
peterbanks

That is very disappointing, especially as you have the exact mods for the stage 2 map. I would love to hear from someone at Cobb about these results.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ill have another review on the 20th... from Sharif at Forged... so I guess we can just cross our fingers and hope its shop related...lol but thats not true id say...

I just now that I can feel a difference in my car... I felt the kinda difference that you felt when Fujitas get hot and you suffer from heat soak... Yes it was that big of difference... I know I have been messin with my wife when were goin somewhere and at 4k in 3rd ill say... oh man i need nitro... and ill click the hazard buttom and SAY NITROS... and sling our heads back and we both get a laugh outta it.... I wish I understood all this jibberish a lil more lol

thanks for doing dynos...

Last edited by MaxToTheG37; 12-09-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:43 AM
SOLISIMO

All this is Chinese to my But what I can figure out (correct me if Im wrong) is that one pays $600 bucks for a Cobb that has two maps on them already which dont make any power, then you send them your maps at an extra charge for them to tune the car Im not bashing at all just asking bc Im used to plug and play with mustangs
Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow! This is disappointing.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:07 AM
chamelieon

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Wow! This is disappointing.
You ain't kidding, any kind of change from the stage 2 map should show a decent timing curve and that's where this motor is gonna like making power from, especially a ton of power down low since the timing veeeeery ****ty specially around 5200rpms, there were drops to 16 degrees and power would go down 10-15hp+ in just that area. Not to mention proper cam angle adjustment gains nice TQ in all the right areas. If you ask me this motor doesn't make the TQ its supposed to because not even from the factory the tune is done right!!

MaxtotheG37 - its very hard to persieve(?) Power because a laggier lower powerband is going to feel fast once the power comes in, giving you the effect of going faster... aka honda vtec... a high vtec is going to feel crazy once it kicks in, a tuned honda will have a seemless vtec transition and make more power but will feel slow... crazy huh.. lol
Old 12-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow...

Quick Reply: Review My Dyno, G37 + Cobb AccessPort = My Experience..