Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

check engine light....WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 PM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check engine light....WTF???

ok, heres the deal...2 days after putting my Magnaflow set up on a check engine light had come on...checked for leaks and no leaks..2 different exhaust shops and infiniti dealership confirmed this...

the check engine light is for a bank 1 sensor 1....the dealer replaced the passenger side manifold(header) including the O2 sensor...they had to replace the header b/c the O2 sensor was stuck...so now its all repaired...they said the car was metering fine, no problems....2 days later the light came back on...
also, it comes on and goes off....
any clues what the problems can be????

can my stock cats be ruined from scraping them??? no noises or anything from them..lol..wtf???

possible problem with the intake set up? or exhaust??? possibility something else was touched when the mechanic fixed my car???

car seems to be running fine, but what can the deal be with this??
Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
did you ask the dealership again? even though you can't hear anything... there still could be a problem, i doubt it's the intake or exhaust...
Old 08-18-2008, 06:53 PM
denverinfiniti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a small over site. But if the dealer didnt clear the self learn in the computer the light will come back on. I learned that the hard way at work LOL
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
TomG37

I guess go back to the dealer.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
update?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:12 AM
JLai

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
update?
Did you get a check engine light also?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:13 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
nope
Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 AM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by denverinfiniti
Its a small over site. But if the dealer didnt clear the self learn in the computer the light will come back on. I learned that the hard way at work LOL

hmmm im going to call tomorrow bout this...thanks...hopefully its that small...lol
Old 08-26-2008, 02:48 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 45 Likes on 6 Posts
njlake, you gotta do a search for this, I've covered the problem like 4 times now it's more then likely the self-learned A/F ratio values. It just takes a simple procedure at the dealership to clear the old values and let the car learn the new A/F ratio after adding the exhaust. My dealership did it for free under warranty. Here's my old post in other threads about this:

"I had the same problem after about 2 weeks of having the Berk HFC's. I thought it was my O2 sensors being busted, but it wasn't at all. Here is what I finally found out from a VERY cool infiniti tech at my dealership.
The Infiniti tech that looked at the car told me something like this, the car does what is called an "A/F ratio self learning." Your car learns the normal AF values when it is new and stock. If the AF goes outside a specific range, it triggers the ecu to trip the SES. Adding the HFC's can sometimes cause it to trip immediately, but sometimes it takes a hard run on the track or freeway. All cars are different slightly with how much the AF changes with these parts. Thats why it takes a drive cycle for the sensors to realize the readings are different from the "learned" value range and signal the ECU to trip the SES. Resetting the ECU won't clear the old A/F ratio values. So he cleared what he called the "mixture ratio self-learning value" the car had and let it learn the higher flow. Allowing your electronics to learn the higher AF levels will allow them not to get out of range, even when racing. Clearing the mixture ratio self-learning value is a weird task. It can be found in the service manual for our cars, but my dealership performed it for free under warranty. It takes about 25 min. to do. This should clear up all your problems for the future."
Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 AM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

AZ! thank you homie!! appreciate the full post!!!!

will you be my baby daddy??? haha...nah for real tho, thank you for the above and beyond posting!! im going to print it out and take it to the dealership, cuz its still on!! lol...appreciate it once again!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:47 PM
xeroed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not beat the horse anymore but....

So I took a trip back to michigan this past weekend which is the first time I drove my car for several hours straight at crusing speed (80mph) since I had my headers & HFC's installed (2500 miles ago). The trip out there was fine but when I came home on Saturday my SES light paid me a visit halfway home. The only difference between the trip conditions was that it was a bit warmer on Saturday than it was on Friday possibly 15deg warmer. Other than that everything else was pretty much the same. I was just relaxing with the ICC taking me home. When it lit up the first thing I thought of was that I hadn't reset the A/F ratios as suggested but I wanted to verify that indeed that was what was needed. I stopped at a gas station, reset the light and started her back up to make sure it would come back on. After I started the engine the light was off, however it would flicker on and then back off everytime there was a change in the exhaust flow ie:shifting under acceleration, letting off the throttle for a few seconds and letting the engine slow the car. It did that for the rest of the trip home. The next day, and today no light whatsoever. So is the A/F reset still the correct solution? I'm just wondering why its taking so long for our cars to recognize an improper ratio. You would think that there should be a good number of people with HFC's that would throw codes immediately after installation, but there are almost none. Its always after several thousand miles, atleast thats what the posts seem to indicate.