Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

"Stuttering" Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:20 PM
King of Torts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Stuttering" Engine?

I have about 4500 miles on my G now, and just the other day, it started "stuttering" while driving. The engine seems to not be as steady as it used to be, and although it's minor, it is noticeable (the car shakes a bit while accelerating, and you can tell when I set the cruise control, too). I attributed this to the fact that I bought no-name gas (91 octane) for my last tank, but I refilled yesterday with Shell (91 octane, again), and it's still a problem. Has anybody else experienced this?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:55 PM
08ivorypearl

nope sorry dude. never happened to my g.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:03 PM
The1andOnly

I don't think putting no name gas would've attributed to the problem. You can resetting the ecu. But as far as this problem goes, this is the first I've heard of it.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:09 PM
King of Torts

Originally Posted by The1andOnly
I don't think putting no name gas would've attributed to the problem. You can resetting the ecu. But as far as this problem goes, this is the first I've heard of it.
Resetting the ECU? How do you do that?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:20 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"no name" gas shouldnt matter as long as ur puttin the right octane 91 or better. unless of course ur gas station is gyppin people and runnin 87 through their pipes ha.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:24 PM
sahiwal007

i also want to know how to reset my ecu, and what does resetting the ecu do to the car?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:28 PM
J.Oh

Originally Posted by sahiwal007
i also want to know how to reset my ecu, and what does resetting the ecu do to the car?
the ECU gets to "re learn" everything during weather changes is when most people do it which reminds me i need to reset mine for summer is here
Old 05-01-2008, 04:35 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by sahiwal007
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-installations-modifications/175792-easy-way-to-reset-ecu-without-battery-disconnect.html

that thread shows u the pretty easy pedal pump method in resetting the ECU.
Ive done it, got it on the 2nd try
Old 05-01-2008, 04:56 PM
The1andOnly

^It's all about timing on the ecu reset, and some patience.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:18 PM
G37SUM!

Originally Posted by King of Torts
I have about 4500 miles on my G now, and just the other day, it started "stuttering" while driving. The engine seems to not be as steady as it used to be, and although it's minor, it is noticeable (the car shakes a bit while accelerating, and you can tell when I set the cruise control, too). I attributed this to the fact that I bought no-name gas (91 octane) for my last tank, but I refilled yesterday with Shell (91 octane, again), and it's still a problem. Has anybody else experienced this?

Is your SES light on. My SES is on and has a rough idle on park. Took it to the dealer and code for SES indicated misfiring cylinder (1)
Old 05-02-2008, 01:38 PM
King of Torts

Problem is fixed. I feel like such an idiot . . . the car was out of oil. The light never came on, although I had noticed oil in my parking space at home, so I finally decided to check. Almost bone dry!

I had just had the 3,750 change a few weeks ago, so I didn't even bother to check the oil level, but apparently the shop (Oil Changers) somehow broke a gasket. I took the car back to them, they fixed it and added new oil. Now it's driving as good as new.

Hopefully I didn't do any longterm damage driving with low oil. I only noticed the stuttering for about 2 days, and even then, neither the oil indicator nor the check engine light came on. What do you guys think?
Old 05-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you f'ing serious? sounds like you handled it a lot better than I would have. you need to get some kind of guarantee from them to cover any damage you discover as a result of this. you've run the car without oil for a couple days. you are very lucky the engine didn't seize or something. i would be absolutely furious.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:58 PM
08ivorypearl

Originally Posted by Callaway
are you f'ing serious? sounds like you handled it a lot better than I would have. you need to get some kind of guarantee from them to cover any damage you discover as a result of this. you've run the car without oil for a couple days. you are very lucky the engine didn't seize or something. i would be absolutely furious.

^1. id be killing my self right now!!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:03 PM
gan78mao

take it back to the stealership!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:08 PM
King of Torts

Yeah, I was kinda annoyed . . . I don't know that they'll give me any kind of guarantee about anything, but I have documented this and plan to file a lawsuit if anything happens in the next couple of years. Sadly, I'm not as furious as I should be since it's a lease, and I'm not looking to keep the car long term (but I am trying to take good care of the car, as though it were my own, so I'm not being totally neglectful). I guess it's a good lesson why not to buy a previously-owned lease.

Quick Reply: "Stuttering" Engine?