Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:51 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by peterbanks
same as it is here.
I'm BlueS2000boy over there....
Old 12-07-2007, 04:50 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I disagree with BMW's 15,000 mile oil change. Even if you were to wait 7500 miles I would deffinately get that first oil change done between 500-1500 miles then go from there. Miles are not the only factor that affect oil. If you live in HOT *** Florida, the oil is gunna break down much sooner than it would up North. For $30-$50, I don't think its worth it to see how many miles you can get out of an oil change. The gunk will build up, the car will slow down, the engine is expensive to have rebuilt. If its a lease, I say go ahead and go 10,000 miles before an oil change LOL!
Old 12-07-2007, 05:00 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
I disagree with BMW's 15,000 mile oil change. Even if you were to wait 7500 miles I would deffinately get that first oil change done between 500-1500 miles then go from there. Miles are not the only factor that affect oil. If you live in HOT *** Florida, the oil is gunna break down much sooner than it would up North. For $30-$50, I don't think its worth it to see how many miles you can get out of an oil change. The gunk will build up, the car will slow down, the engine is expensive to have rebuilt. If its a lease, I say go ahead and go 10,000 miles before an oil change LOL!
you can disagree with them but i think the BMW enginers and castrol oil enginers know a little more then you do about what is best for their motors. Every new BMW comes with Castrol syntec oil in it. the purpose of synthetic oil is to go further periods without breaking down. meaning you can run it in a car engine much longer without breakdown of the oil. Thats the reason all major european companies that come with syn from the factory dont change there oil sooner. Mercedes, bmw, porsche, land rover, aston, the list goes on. as far as BMW goes the main reason they offer all there services free is the fact that most people lease there bmw's. bmw doesnt want to rely on the owners to take care of their cars so they offer the free service to be sure the cars are being taken care of properly so when the lease is turned in they can then turn around and release them or sell them again. if changing the oil every 15k was bad for the cars they would not be doing it...
Old 12-07-2007, 05:28 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Ever owned a German vehicle? Because the few I have have been on flatbeds more than on the highway. I do not purport to know a lot, if anything about oil, but what I do know is I have never had a single problem with any of my Infiniti's, and they recommend a lower oil change interval. It may not be BAD per se, but it sure as heck can't be GOOD! Time/heat/miles.. Doesn't add up.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:44 PM
UNV-IT46

Ever owned a German vehicle? Because the few I have have been on flatbeds more than on the highway. I do not purport to know a lot, if anything about oil, but what I do know is I have never had a single problem with any of my Infiniti's, and they recommend a lower oil change interval. It may not be BAD per se, but it sure as heck can't be GOOD! Time/heat/miles.. Doesn't add up.
Yes I have had two BMW's just turned in my E46 M3. My father has a porshe. In the past few years between them they have had 3 mercedes and a few porsches and none have had any issues that would stem from oil related issues. All cars were kept on the standard maintance programs recommended by the dealers. My M3 I changed the oil a little more often because i tracked the car. But my X5 before that was on standard 15k
Old 12-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Chosen37

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just got my first oil change done today. 3728 on the odo.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:39 PM
xdram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had a bmw for the past 7 years, changed my oil slight sooner than BMW's 15k, I've do it at 10k with 0 engine issues in 103k miles. I hope to do the same with the G37 using synthetic oil...
Old 12-07-2007, 11:14 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you live in HOT *** Florida, the oil is gunna break down much sooner than it would up North.
Your engine will still run at about 190 degrees. If anything, there would be less wear on the engine since it would come up to operating temperature faster.

I have 160k on my 2001 Prelude and it still runs like the day I bought it. I changed the oil every 7,500 miles as recommended. Although, I replaced the filter with every oil change instead of the recommended 15k.

Today's engines are made with harder materials and greater precision.
Many hold more oil. I think 6 quarts in the g37.
They're more efficient creating less heat and deposits.
There are fewer dirt roads and driveways to get your oil dirty.
More people park in garages and use remote starters helping the car warm up faster.
More people are commuting from suburbs falling into the "highway driving" category.
Oils and filters are way better.
Oil takes time to break in so changing too often could actually hurt.

But the bottom line is today's engines will easily outlast the rest of the car. Don't waste your time and money on extra oil changes.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:57 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

The G37 holds 6 quarts instead of five? I wanna make sure I remember one time I got an oil change their computer said the G35 only needed 4.5 quarts.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:18 PM
evildarkness

The G37 holds 6 quarts instead of five? I wanna make sure I remember one time I got an oil change their computer said the G35 only needed 4.5 quarts.
The G37 holds 5-1/8 qt's with the filter.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:59 PM
kevinf

Changed mine at 866 miles to Mobil 1 5W-30.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:01 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes.
Dry engine (Overhaul) 6 qt
Oil change with filter 5-1/8 qt
Oil change without filter 4-7/8 qt
Old 01-02-2008, 03:40 PM
GregUMR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time for me to beat the ...

I'm going to switch to mobile 1 synthetic starting at 600miles ( first oil change for the shavings ). Anyone have a strong objection to doing so? Will I void my warranty if I use a Wix filter instead of infiniti's stock filter? Anyone have a compelling reason why I should not do mobile 1 syn and instead just do standard mobile 1 oil? Thanks..

Old 01-02-2008, 04:42 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

No objections but there is no need for full syn. You will notice the car not performing as well with the thick oil in there. Your 100% safe with the recommended oil. And no, you will not void any warranty. Just make sure they put 5qts in.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:06 PM
GregUMR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I'm going to change my own oil, I would much rather do it myself. What about the filter, Wix is ok and no one will flip a lid over it and void my warranty? Also, will I REALLY see a drop in performance with synthetic ( any proof? ) or is that one of the assumed/perceived (not verifiable) side effects of synthetic?

Quick Reply: First Oil Change