Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:48 PM
AdamJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
this is standard for paddle shifters (even for the ferrari's there is a little lever in the center consol for reverse). Just buy the 6 speed and don't mess with the paddles. Nobody likes them.
Not everyone drives on a road course every time they are in their G. In fact, I find it funny that most of the people pushing manuals probably can't drive them as well as they like to think. I'm still undecided, but since this is a luxury sports car, and I live in Southern California, the 5-speed automatic isn't out of the question. Rowing through the gears in traffic isn't my idea of fun. I'm not sure where you got your data that "nobody likes" the paddle shifters.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:31 PM
airhoppz

Originally Posted by InfinitiFreak
Ok, I wasn't sure if you were referring to the manumatic mode with the shifter or manumatic with the paddle shifters. It seems to be pretty much intuative and you will just have to get use to the way it works on the G. It won't be that hard!!
Yeah - there's the regular old tiptronic shifting on the gear-selector...you click it over into the M mode, and then click it up for shifting up, and down for shifting down.

Paddle shifters on the other hand, take care of this on the steering wheel. Pull the right side (+) for up, and the left side (-) for down...like an F1 or Ferrari.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:41 PM
wyatthanson

If the paddles used advanced technology and a 6 speed, I'd opt for it - like SMG or DSG.

But with 5 speeds and likely-to-be-very-slow shifts, I'll stick with a 6MT even if I do live downtown.

The shifts in my FX in manual mode (same tranny as G) are so damn slow and laggy it's a joke.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by airhoppz
Yeah - there's the regular old tiptronic shifting on the gear-selector...you click it over into the M mode, and then click it up for shifting up, and down for shifting down.
If the G37 is the same as the 07 Sedan (which I assuming it will be), you will also have DS Mode. If you move your shifter to the left, you are automatically in DS Mode, which is Drive Sport mode. DS Mode allows you to run up to the redline without manually shifting. Once you manually shift up or down via the shifter or the paddles, DS Mode disengages and you are in full manual mode.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by wyatthanson
If the paddles used advanced technology and a 6 speed, I'd opt for it - like SMG or DSG.

But with 5 speeds and likely-to-be-very-slow shifts, I'll stick with a 6MT even if I do live downtown.

The shifts in my FX in manual mode (same tranny as G) are so damn slow and laggy it's a joke.
You've obviously never driven the 07 Sedan Sport with the paddle shifters. Shifts are extremely quick with virtually no lag whatsoever.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:56 PM
wyatthanson

You're obviously correct.

Still a 5spd with minimal modern technology IMO.

I'll give one a test drive, but I'm probably still going with the 6MT.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:42 PM
AdamJ

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
You've obviously never driven the 07 Sedan Sport with the paddle shifters. Shifts are extremely quick with virtually no lag whatsoever.
Really? Most of the tiptronic style cars I have driven have had so much lag between gear changes that it defeated the purpose. I'm still not set on a 5AT, but I live in Orange County where there's always a decent amount of traffic, I don't think I'd get my moneys worth out of a 6MT, overall I think i'd enjoy an automatic more and it would be great if the paddle shifters had some decent performance.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:42 PM
RBull

Originally Posted by AdamJ
Really? Most of the tiptronic style cars I have driven have had so much lag between gear changes that it defeated the purpose. I'm still not set on a 5AT, but I live in Orange County where there's always a decent amount of traffic, I don't think I'd get my moneys worth out of a 6MT, overall I think i'd enjoy an automatic more and it would be great if the paddle shifters had some decent performance.
Go drive a 335 and you will see it shifts much faster than you possibly can with an MT. The G AT is slightly slower but still quick.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:37 PM
wyatthanson

I wouldn't count .01s of a second in a shift - it can barely be felt. If I can feel lag, I'm frustrated. 6MT isn't just for the speed of shifts, but for the fun of rowing through the gears. As long as the shifts are PRETTY quick, I could be happy... But I think these days it should have 6 gears also. Lexus and Mercedes are both in or moving to 7 speed autos.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Yep, seriously just go drive an 07 Sedan and I am sure you won't be disappointed. We had a thread in the 07 Sedan section (which I am not able to find unfortunately) where people gave there thoughts on how quick the paddles shifted, and pretty much everyone agreed that they were extremely quick. If you live in the OC with lots of traffic, I think the 5AT Sport will be a very satisfactory experience for you. If you end up test driving an 07 Sedan Sport, let me know what you think.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:00 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I can't wait until the car finally releases. I have already put down my deposit and chosen what options I want. The paddle shifters sound awesome, can't wait to try them out on some nice deserted interstate, late at night!!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:10 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

My AMG had the SPEEDSHIFT transmission and with it in DRIVE gear and under hard acceleration it would take the rpms right to redline and shift faster than you could ever do it manually. It would also hold the gear under hard cornering, etc. I've owned lots of manual transmissions over the years and that SPEEDSHIFT was wicked-fast. This transmission technology has really advanced and I'm through with working the stick. Hey, if it's good enough for F1, it works for me!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:16 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Not everyone drives on a road course every time they are in their G. In fact, I find it funny that most of the people pushing manuals probably can't drive them as well as they like to think. I'm still undecided, but since this is a luxury sports car, and I live in Southern California, the 5-speed automatic isn't out of the question. Rowing through the gears in traffic isn't my idea of fun. I'm not sure where you got your data that "nobody likes" the paddle shifters.
Actually, I'm have only heard from the reviewers (top gear, car and driver, motor trend). I actually met a couple of guys on the skyline drive this past weekend and they've driven the 07 with the paddle shifters and they love it. I take back most of my original statement if you will allow it lol.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:21 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Well I guess we will forgive you this one time, but don't let it happen again, LOL!!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Techuinang

Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
I take back most of my original statement if you will allow it lol.
Only fools don't change their mind .

I've driven MT for quite some time and I still don't shift properly. Well I don't race either so I never felt the need to learn how to get those crazy numbers magazine gets. I mean clutches are expensive so I don't overabuse it to get 1 or 2 seconds more then an AT. I however agree that in winter, the control using an MT is so much better then AT.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters