Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:14 PM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Techuinang
Only fools don't change their mind .

LOL. More like, only fools don't aknowledge when they are wrong (no one can be always right) lol
Old 04-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Driver Elite

Originally Posted by wyatthanson
If the paddles used advanced technology and a 6 speed, I'd opt for it - like SMG or DSG.

But with 5 speeds and likely-to-be-very-slow shifts, I'll stick with a 6MT even if I do live downtown.

The shifts in my FX in manual mode (same tranny as G) are so damn slow and laggy it's a joke.

I understand the downshift, that is crap. But the upshift is smooth and quick. Have you ever driven an M3 with paddle shifters. CRAP. They activate on contact, but they lag like a manual transmission. You get thrown forward like when someone hits the clutch at full throttle. Did not like at all.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:49 PM
giddyup69

Originally Posted by TheFU
I drove the 335i and i do not like downshift up...it was very un intuitive...here is why...

in all auto trannys i have ever driven, downshift is down. Also, traditionally when you downshift into a corner (in a MT) you are going from 3rd (or some other gear) to 2nd...which is pulling down. And, you can "hang" on the shifter with one hand and the wheel with the other so that once you power out of the corner your hand is on the shifter and your weight is balanced.

"If" I were to have the AT, i would prefer the infiniti design.
i just read this thread and found your comments funny. why would u ever balance your weight by hanging onto the shifter?? that's what the dead pedal is for. the only time u should be touching the shifter is when u are shifting gears. also.. your theory about a mt is flawed... what happens when your in 4th and want to downshift? do u rip the stick out?

pulling down to shift up makes more sense to me... but that's just me.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:59 PM
mantisG35

the one with a ( - ) means you need to empty some of the gas out of the tank. the one with a ( + ) means you need to fill more gas.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:53 PM
TheFU

Originally Posted by giddyup69
i just read this thread and found your comments funny. why would u ever balance your weight by hanging onto the shifter?? that's what the dead pedal is for. the only time u should be touching the shifter is when u are shifting gears. also.. your theory about a mt is flawed... what happens when your in 4th and want to downshift? do u rip the stick out?

pulling down to shift up makes more sense to me... but that's just me.
Maybe "hang" is not the right word...but i definitely keep my hand on the stick thru a right turn and my weight is being thrown away from the stick. Generally, you are not rounding a right turn in 3rd gear. All I can say is it felt VERY unnatural as compared to a MT when I was making right turns...the whole process of downshifting, cornering, powering out of the turn and then upshifting seemed like it would feem more like a MT if the direction were reversed. To each their own.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:02 PM
wyatthanson

SMG is hard to drive. With practice, it can be very smooth.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:39 PM
cloud

I find that I prefer the shifters to turn with the steering wheel... or .... A donut would be more functional lol but would look hideous.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:47 PM
fhumphrey04

Originally Posted by Driver Elite
I understand the downshift, that is crap. But the upshift is smooth and quick. Have you ever driven an M3 with paddle shifters. CRAP. They activate on contact, but they lag like a manual transmission. You get thrown forward like when someone hits the clutch at full throttle. Did not like at all.
The SMG tranny is way different than what the g35 will get.

Cmon guys, the tiptronic crap is just a gimmic. It takes forever for the car to shift and it basically comes down to being a stupid selling point.

If you want a stick, get a stick. If you want an automatic, get an automatic. If you want the best of both worlds, get an M5, M6, or something else with a true dual-clutch system.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:14 PM
mantisG35

Originally Posted by cloud
I find that I prefer the shifters to turn with the steering wheel... or .... A donut would be more functional lol but would look hideous.
they dont on the G?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mantisG35
they dont on the G?
No, they are mounted on the steering column and do not move with the wheel.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Ahujadaddy

which makes sense. Not rlly gonna shift in the middle of a turn (steering wheel turned). YOu shift when entering, and then after exiting.. so go to a lower gear to have power on the way out.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ahujadaddy
which makes sense. Not rlly gonna shift in the middle of a turn (steering wheel turned). YOu shift when entering, and then after exiting.. so go to a lower gear to have power on the way out.
Exactly. And even if you did want to shift during a turn it is still possible since the paddles are quite long from top to bottom.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:56 AM
G THANG

If paddle shifters are good enough for the Lamb,its good enough for the G.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P816...elated&search=
Old 04-29-2007, 08:05 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

That lp640 sound is incredible. I am a huge fan of Lamborghini. That vid is a great look at how fixed paddles work(to stay on topic).
Old 04-29-2007, 09:28 AM
RBull

Originally Posted by TheFU
Maybe "hang" is not the right word...but i definitely keep my hand on the stick thru a right turn and my weight is being thrown away from the stick. Generally, you are not rounding a right turn in 3rd gear. All I can say is it felt VERY unnatural as compared to a MT when I was making right turns...the whole process of downshifting, cornering, powering out of the turn and then upshifting seemed like it would feem more like a MT if the direction were reversed. To each their own.
No offence but you sound like a candidate for a driving school. Both hands should always be on the wheel excpet for a brief second completing a shift. Using the stick for a brace is unsafe as you cannot generate any leverage from it without risking pulling it out of gear. As well you have less vehicle control with one hand on the wheel.

Depending on what road or track and the degree of the turn it would be completely normal to be rounding a corner in any gear.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters