ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Street Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 10:36 AM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Street Tune

Hey G squad

So I'm going to be placing an order for some FI RHFC and will be getting a tune afterwards. The only reputable shop around me has a RWD dyno so we'd be doing a street tune.

It seems like most people on this forum have been dyno tuned, but I've found a couple posts saying that street tuning is the way to go since it mirrors real world conditions.

Any input from other AWD guys or RWD guys who are in the know on this? I was quoted $450 for a tune which seems like a really good price to me all things considered.

Most importantly, since I won't have a print out with actual numbers, can I figure out my hp gains by measuring how many inches I grow down there?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:21 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by JUMBO PALACE
Hey G squad

So I'm going to be placing an order for some FI RHFC and will be getting a tune afterwards. The only reputable shop around me has a RWD dyno so we'd be doing a street tune.

It seems like most people on this forum have been dyno tuned, but I've found a couple posts saying that street tuning is the way to go since it mirrors real world conditions.

Any input from other AWD guys or RWD guys who are in the know on this? I was quoted $450 for a tune which seems like a really good price to me all things considered.

Most importantly, since I won't have a print out with actual numbers, can I figure out my hp gains by measuring how many inches I grow down there?
I'm sure I'm just reading it wrong but why wouldn't they be able to provide you with a printout if you're getting a dyno tune? Isn't that the point?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:32 AM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kris9884
I'm sure I'm just reading it wrong but why wouldn't they be able to provide you with a printout if you're getting a dyno tune? Isn't that the point?
Because he has an X couple he cant get on their dyno, because their dyno is 2 wheel drive only. The print out from the dyno is what he is talking about.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Kris9884

Oh duh, I see what's going on lol. An easy solution would be to remove the front drive shaft for the dyno day and boom RWD. Many guys have done this. No wires, mods or anything custom, just unbolt and put it back on when you want AWD again. Very straight forward.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:14 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
There are phone apps that can infer HP from acceleration. It's pretty simple with a quarter-mile slip; there's a time-tested empirical formula that can calc HP with the ET and speed. Easily found with Google.

Does G-Tech still exist?
Old 06-17-2016, 12:19 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

I guess my jokes are just not on point today

I'm less concerned with figuring out the exact HP output and more looking for some input on whether or not a street tune is safe/valid alternative to a dyno tune and whether or not the pricing sounds legit.

Do I want to know how much power I'm making? Yeah, absolutely. But I figure for $450 if the shifts are sped up and I feel like I picked up a decent amount of power that's what matters most. We pay $1500 for catbacks for crying out loud.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:19 PM
Kris9884

But yeah, street tunes are best for fine tuning and in my opinion the best option if you have a stand alone with custom fuel maps through a certain RPM and throttle position etc etc. As for Uprev or ECUTEK being a piggyback/flash, a dynometer will be more than fine since the ECU is going to always fine tune itself as the cars environment changes.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:22 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Try "Dash Command"
The app has a data-logging feature that captures every PID the OBD outputs.
It also calculates power & torque. (Based on accel, g-force rpm etc)
It displays what you wish live but also logs all PIDs into one big file for analysis later.
Also skid pad and track performance.
And zero to X
And quarter mile times.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Idk, I'm good friends with someone who tuned for Hennessy until recently, plus I've been going back and forth with Seb from specialtyZ, and they both say dyno tuning is a great deal more efficient than etuning in most circumstances. $450 is cheap if it includes Ecutek or Uprev... If not, then it's not so cheap. You also need to keep in mind how many retunes and touch ups will they do?
Old 06-17-2016, 01:32 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Sway_NV
Idk, I'm good friends with someone who tuned for Hennessy until recently, plus I've been going back and forth with Seb from specialtyZ, and they both say dyno tuning is a great deal more efficient than etuning in most circumstances. $450 is cheap if it includes Ecutek or Uprev... If not, then it's not so cheap. You also need to keep in mind how many retunes and touch ups will they do?
It's not an etune it's on site street tuning. $450 is my price for everything in and out. I'm assuming a few runs on the street to get different readings and make adjustments accordingly.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:49 PM
Kris9884

Like I was saying before. Street tuning is plenty for the adjustments our cars are after. If you were building the car with a standalone and starting from scratch you'd want a dyno to tune at least a base map and would then street tune later for real world runs.

Again, not sure if your reading my posts but, if you're super concerned, just drop the front driveshaft and dyno it, its easy man.
The following users liked this post:
JUMBO PALACE (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
It's not an etune it's on site street tuning. $450 is my price for everything in and out. I'm assuming a few runs on the street to get different readings and make adjustments accordingly.
Oh my bad, I totally misread that. Yes, normally the tuner will sit and mess with some things at idle, do their tuner black magic... Then you'll pull several runs, (for our car I was advised 3rd gear pulls, I'm not smart enough to know why) and they'll make adjustments accordingly. $450 is a good price, which software? Did I miss that too?

+1 for dropping the driveshaft, seen it done on many cars.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:33 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Your pulls should be in the gear that's closest to 1:1 ratio in the transmission. That's fifth for the 7AT. I presume street pulls in third keep you within typical speed limits.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:15 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Great advice from everyone and yes I see you Kris
I'll ask him about dropping the drive shaft once my cats show up and I'm setting up an appointment. Might be easier that way and I'll get to see my numbers. More $$ though I'm assuming.

Noob question: Would dropping the drive shaft cause the dyno to read higher because the car is functionally RWD during the tuning and not be accurate of the increased loss when hooked up to an AWD trans? Or does that loss come into play earlier in the cycle?

And Sway_NV- You didn't miss it, I left out that we'll be doing Uprev. That's what my Tuner has experience with and I didn't see any Ecu-tek guys in my area.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:21 PM
Kris9884

Great advice from everyone and yes I see you Kris
I'll ask him about dropping the drive shaft once my cats show up and I'm setting up an appointment. Might be easier that way and I'll get to see my numbers. More $$ though I'm assuming.

Noob question: Would dropping the drive shaft cause the dyno to read higher because the car is functionally RWD during the tuning and not be accurate of the increased loss when hooked up to an AWD trans? Or does that loss come into play earlier in the cycle?

And Sway_NV- You didn't miss it, I left out that we'll be doing Uprev. That's what my Tuner has experience with and I didn't see any Ecu-tek guys in my area.
Haha good

Yes, you can expect to gain like 2-3hp to the ground. Its the same concept as light weight pulleys or lighter wheels to remove rotational weight. The driveline loss from a RWD is about 20-25% and the AWD is 25-30%. Not enough to skew a tune at all.
The following users liked this post:
JUMBO PALACE (06-17-2016)

Quick Reply: Street Tune