ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Triniti - Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 07:22 AM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Triniti - Tuning

Now that much of the cosmetics are coming together, ordered or pending completion it's time to focus in on the performance aspects.

As a reminder I'm working with a 2010 7AT Vert out of warranty.

I've reached out to JTran Studios here in Houston. I know Johnny does G tuning and has a decent reputation.

The body of the email I sent was as follows:
Let's talk performance mods. I know intake is a touchy subject on the forums. Seems it's borderline worthless to mod on the G37. OEM intake is great. Do you agree?

Exhaust systems and high flow cats seem to be an area where the most hp can be squeezed in a NA setup. What would you suggest? I want more kick. But, am not interested in having rasp, overbearing drone or obnoxious sounding exhaust. More sound is fine, even a plus as long as it doesn't sound like kid-tuner crap. I am also aware that the vert can be a little trickier on which to do exhaust. A few options seem to be reasonable. Any thoughts on this?

It was lengthy and question heavy. We'll see if we get much of a response. I'll make an appointment and head down to the shop to discuss all options in person in the next few weeks. Love to get a few stock dyno pulls to see our baselines. At the moment, I'm leaning towards HFC, art pipes and CBE of some sort (maybe ARK?). The ARK sound like s#!t in YouTube videos. But, that may be a lost in AV translation issue more than a reality.
Sadly, being a vert, the options seem pretty limited for exhaust. But, maybe JTran knows a thing or two about which I haven't read.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:23 AM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Quick questions following the previous post:
Is a tune beneficial with Zero mods?

Is there terminology I should be using for this tune? ie: an UpRev Tune

If a tune is beneficial in Stock form, should I still wait and have it done after HFC, etc?

Want to start the conversation with JTran on the right foot. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by kimmspeed
Quick questions following the previous post:
Is a tune beneficial with Zero mods?

Is there terminology I should be using for this tune? ie: an UpRev Tune

If a tune is beneficial in Stock form, should I still wait and have it done after HFC, etc?

Want to start the conversation with JTran on the right foot. Thanks!
Hello so JTRAN uses ECU TEK tune now, he used to use up rev but recently changed and ECU Tek has more gains according to many users, second of all in my opinion no reason for a tune without any mods, I would at least add bolt ons, intakes are a debate but are really popular, cold air intake such as Stillen gen 3 and takeda cai or aam are good options, high flow cats are great and fast Intentions resonated ones are good from many reviews seen here on the forum, also a catback exhausts won't have many gains but is good for sounds and will work good paired with HFC and intake.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:42 AM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Ricio1991
Hello so JTRAN uses ECU TEK tune now, he used to use up rev but recently changed and ECU Tek has more gains according to many users, second of all in my opinion no reason for a tune without any mods, I would at least add bolt ons...
Thanks for the feedback on JTran and the ECU TEK. I haven't heard back from them yet. But, I'll try to get in touch after the first of the year.

FI HFC seems like the way I'd lean to open up the bottlenecking in the exhaust. I'll have to do some research on passing emissions and not flubing up sensors. No need for any extra headaches.

The butt dyno posts related to intakes are fairly laugh worthy. If anyone is 'noticing' a pronounced difference in what amounts to 2-4% power gains, I've got a few $150 sugar pills that will make you feel 3% happier.

However, having seen a couple of dyno sheets that roughly calculate out to 5-12whp with CAIs, I guess there may be some justifiable reason to throw $500 at them. Just difficult not knowing if they'll do anything at all for me. That and I don't want to loose any torque at all. Idk.

Exhaust is almost a moot point after the cats. I wouldn't mind a little more burble and grumble. But, if it doesn't amount to at least 10whp+ (roughly 4% gain), it's not of much interest. $1800 for, let's say 20whp (a nice gain) is $90/1hp. That's a little bit steep. Anyone getting solid dyno numbers on HFCs and CBE setups?
Old 12-31-2015, 02:50 AM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

My biggest question:
Where is there room for the biggest gains with this motor, gears, transmission, etc?

Let's say money wasn't a concern (it most certainly is, but what if?), do you stay naturally aspirated? TT? SC?

Keep in mind this is a Vert, 7AT w/ 100k on the dial.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:56 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
About the cat back, I dont think I've seen a dyno with the stock catback that made 300 WHP, Seen 280's but not in the 300's. I have 302 WHP Auto AWD sedan with Z1 HFC's( Moved away from FI RHFC's) and ARK Grip exhuast, along with other bolt ons in my sig, plus I have headers on the way and a retune. Trying to do a remote tuning session as I have access to a dyno.

BTW 84k on my clock
Old 12-31-2015, 10:13 AM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
the biggest gain i saw was with headers.. baseline dyno of 16whp and 3wtq..

gears do not give you any horsepower it just sifts the power band and accelerates faster..

if money was no concern i would say twin turbo is the way to go.. but your looking at close 20k with upgrading the transmission and install

Originally Posted by kimmspeed
My biggest question:
Where is there room for the biggest gains with this motor, gears, transmission, etc?

Let's say money wasn't a concern (it most certainly is, but what if?), do you stay naturally aspirated? TT? SC?

Keep in mind this is a Vert, 7AT w/ 100k on the dial.