ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

BBOY's Dynos of his stock G37

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:45 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't understand this "different dyno" stuff. If different dynoes always produce different results, how the hell do you know what your car is actually putting out. I don't want to use a dyno with artificially inflated numbers any more than I want one that is underrating my engine. I want a dyno that is precise....
Old 03-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I believe they are all accurate just not WHP accurate. Some measure at the crank some at the axel and some at the wheel.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:58 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I don't understand this "different dyno" stuff. If different dynoes always produce different results, how the hell do you know what your car is actually putting out. I don't want to use a dyno with artificially inflated numbers any more than I want one that is underrating my engine. I want a dyno that is precise....

a dyno is only meant to take a baseline...

there are so many ways to measure a cars hp....at the hub, flywheel, at the wheel, etc. in addtion, there are may manufacturer's that do not follow 1 specific guidline on HOW to measure a car's power. so you will always get different numbers. the best thing to do is to always dyno at the same place, same conditions.

dynos are not meant for c0x measuring...they are meant to read the power curve, the a/f ratio, and info for tuning...that is all. anyone who tells you different is a n00b....
Old 03-10-2008, 06:44 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
yea its more to have a baseline dyno to start with so you can make sure your mods are actually making a difference... regardless of how it reads in the beginning you will always be able to see the gains
Old 03-10-2008, 06:52 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya guys, I think I am going to try to find a dyno shop in Denver. I believe the place I went to is the only place that has a dyno in Colorado Springs. The place was a small shop that works on a lot of American cars such as Mustangs. It took way to long to get everything setup for the dyno plus I asked the guy to get me a quote on a HFC and exhaust install. He said he would call me back later that day but never did. I think I am just going to find a bigger more professional shop in Denver (if I can). If anyone knows of one, please let me know.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:17 PM
angrypug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
these numbers are way low but I think it is testing more than car. Sounds like it was tested in the wrong gear. In addition, I notice you are in colorado springs which is over 6000ft in altitude. I'm betting the correction factor maybe a little off because of this massive altitude. I know dyno's usually correct for this but at this height it seems it would be easier for it to be off. Just guesses.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 AM
majin ssj eric

Originally Posted by cvt
a dyno is only meant to take a baseline...

there are so many ways to measure a cars hp....at the hub, flywheel, at the wheel, etc. in addtion, there are may manufacturer's that do not follow 1 specific guidline on HOW to measure a car's power. so you will always get different numbers. the best thing to do is to always dyno at the same place, same conditions.

dynos are not meant for c0x measuring...they are meant to read the power curve, the a/f ratio, and info for tuning...that is all. anyone who tells you different is a n00b....
Well, I may be a noob, but I want to know what my engine is producing and I have NO interest in modding whatsoever. Is that a crime? I don't need a baseline because I have no interest in doing anything to the car. But I would like verification that the car I bought actually makes the power that Nissan advertises it does.....
Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Well, I may be a noob, but I want to know what my engine is producing and I have NO interest in modding whatsoever. Is that a crime? I don't need a baseline because I have no interest in doing anything to the car. But I would like verification that the car I bought actually makes the power that Nissan advertises it does.....
nobody called you a n00b. i said anyone who tells you dynos are for reading accurate hp are newbs. they are not. they are only first and foremost to take baseline. they give a "rough" estimate at hp.

are you doubting you are not getting 330hp? you car is brand new so a compression test is way too early. what you can do is dyno on a dynojet (or any kind of dyno) and compare what others have dyno'd (on the same type of dyno) in this board and give a 10-15 buffer (yes it can vary that much from car to car from elevation and environment)
Old 03-11-2008, 11:33 AM
JLai

What in the...?

1:1 is usually 3rd or 4th. I'm gonna look this up...something doesn't sound right.

Edit:
I'll be damned. 5th it is. So does this mean we don't make max hp till 5th gear? How many people race through 5th, lol.

Last edited by JLai; 03-11-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:15 PM
JLai

On a side note, my buddy just pointed this out. We have almost identical gear ratios as the Supra TT, except for the final drive. Roll racing ratios, lol.

G37S 6MT

First Gear Ratio (:1) : 3.79
Second Gear Ratio (:1): 2.32
Third Gear Ratio (:1) : 1.62
Fourth Gear Rato (:1) : 1.27
Fifth Gear Ratio (:1) : 1.00
Sixth Gear Ratio (:1) : 0.79
Final Drive Ratio (:1) : 3.69

Supra TT Getrag 6spd
1st Gear Ratio: 3.827:1
2nd Gear Ratio: 2.360:1
3rd Gear Ratio: 1.685:1
4th Gear Ratio: 1.312:1
5th Gear Ratio: 1.000:1
6th Gear Ratio: 0.793:1
Final Drive Ratio: 3.133:1
Old 03-11-2008, 08:24 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
wow that is pretty close.. from a roll it is. lol
Old 03-12-2008, 10:08 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
wow that is pretty close.. from a roll it is. lol
Thats really no surprise. this car has no hope out of the dig. Its all about the roll baby. I should be doing some more dyno run this week or weekend . trying a couple things out. I will try to get the charts up next week..
Old 03-12-2008, 11:30 PM
vinnys coupe

my buddy was telling me that looking at your dyno is the way you get the most out of each gear is that correct? like due to down shifting or shifting up right before the graph drops or something.. im not sure can some1 explain this to me sry ima noob when it comes to these 6mt tricks
Old 05-05-2008, 10:42 PM
servicepack

make sure you turn off the traction control when you dyno. the computer will throttle down the wheels since they aren't all rolling.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:51 PM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by vinnys coupe
my buddy was telling me that looking at your dyno is the way you get the most out of each gear is that correct? like due to down shifting or shifting up right before the graph drops or something.. im not sure can some1 explain this to me sry ima noob when it comes to these 6mt tricks
If it curves WAY down sure... but no, typically this is not true. Even with a mild dip in the curve you will still produce more torque at the wheels by staying in your lower, more multiplicative gear than shifting up to a longer gear ratio...

For a car with a horsepower chart this linear, shift right before the rev limiter for maximum performance.

Quick Reply: BBOY's Dynos of his stock G37