Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

South Bend clutch & Flywheel review

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I got the Southbend Stage 2, lightweight fly wheel, and zspeed csc based off a recommendation from Jeremy as well about a year and a half ago. I love the setup and its still holding up very well with 18,000 miles on it. Joe from zspeed was very helpful and knowledgeable about what I wanted and needed in regards to the setup.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:48 PM
GotAir523

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Dough1397
Awesome, make use of that extended warranty! Dealer quoted me $1200+tax to replace CSC and clutch master, definitely not cheap. What'd you extended warranty cost?
Originally Posted by Jsolo
I paid $1200 or $1300 for 8yr/100K/$100 deductible. I guess if this thing craps out just once, it has paid for itself. Still though, the failure is bound to happen again at some later mileage. Seems those CSC slaves are just built to not last.

Tagged along with a friend to look at some cars today, one of which was a sti. Got to drive it for just a small bit. Wow... what an easy to modulate clutch. Uptake is right where it should be, feel is lighter than the G (with the weaker spring), but still excellent feedback... WTF was nissan thinking when they designed this clutch!@#
Originally Posted by jon23
Thanks!

I'm glad your extended warranty covered it, I had to not-so-happily let go about $1,600 to get all that in my car. I certainly was not expecting it at all, I hope nothing big breaks again... I haven't heard or read about other common issues with our cars.

yea, was very very happy that the extended warranty covered it, only reason i purchased it was because i made sure it covered everything but the brake pads and clutch pad itself lol. i got the paper back of the work done, (my differential bearing failed as well so its high because of that as well) but in total, parts and labor the bill was 2,400 bucks. i paid 1,100 dollars for warranty for 4yr/48k miles with 0 deductible (didn't want to pay anything at all if it needed warranty work), so in that respect just this visit alone it paid for itself
Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jon23
No problem at all!

It's been a month since the flywheel/clutch upgrade for me and I'm still within the break-in period. The pedal does not feel as heavy/stiff anymore and the engage point is higher, feels more OEM.

The G is much more fun to drive now, it really pushes me against the seat when switching gears, and I don't even push the car hard since I'm still breaking the parts in!!!

The only thing that kind of bothers me is the unavoidable flywheel chatter at idle range and before ~2,500 RPM. It does go away once I get past that point though. But it's kind of embarrassing pulling up a drive-thru with such a nice car making such an old-car noise!!

Soon I'll be done breaking them in and be able to have some fun again!

Have you changed the trans fluid? Or are you still running the stock fluid?

Changing to a better trans fluid like Redline MT-85 or Motul Gear 300 will greatly reduce the trans noise at low rpm and idle. We have both of these in stock.

As for the "Exedy" disk, It is true they center part of the disk itself is an Exedy disk "Center" which is the only part that is used, Then South Bend adds their own Premium Grade Clutch linings, They have these linings made to their specs as there is no really good dual rivet organic lining available for the 250mm disk in the Nissan/Infiniti line. These linings have a very high copper weave content, a 12,000 RPM burst and dissipate heat better than any other organic lining on the market. Basically, It's really good stuff

South Bend uses the Exedy center hub because we have found them to be superior to any other center hub on the market (most aftermarket kits use Chinese center hubs because they are cheap but they tend to break and the springs fall out after hard use)

Last edited by ZSpeedPerformance; 11-16-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZSpeedPerformance
Have you changed the trans fluid? Or are you still running the stock fluid?

Changing to a better trans fluid like Redline MT-85 or Motul Gear 300 will greatly reduce the trans noise at low rpm and idle. We have both of these in stock.

As for the "Exedy" disk, It is true they center part of the disk itself is an Exedy disk "Center" which is the only part that is used, Then South Bend adds their own Premium Grade Clutch linings, They have these linings made to their specs as there is no really good dual rivet organic lining available for the 250mm disk in the Nissan/Infiniti line. These linings have a very high copper weave content, a 12,000 RPM burst and dissipate heat better than any other organic lining on the market. Basically, It's really good stuff

South Bend uses the Exedy center hub because we have found them to be superior to any other center hub on the market (most aftermarket kits use Chinese center hubs because they are cheap but they tend to break and the springs fall out after hard use)

Yeah, I had already changed the transmission fluid to Royal Purple a few months before the clutch went out. I did read about Redline MT-85 or Motul Gear 300, maybe I'll upgrade to either one of those in the future, don't know yet. I'm used to "the noise" by now...

Thanks for all the good info on the materials used to build the clutch. I have not had any issues with it so far. I already passed 1K miles, so it's pretty much broken-in, now I need to take it somewhere to test it good!