Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

South Bend clutch & Flywheel review

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:22 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
South Bend clutch & Flywheel review

Hey everyone!

Well, my clutch started to slip badly so I ended up having to replace both clutch and flywheel.

They are not covered under warranty, so I went aftermarket.

After asking many forum members, and reading threads here and there, I decided to go with the South Bend flywheel and Stage 1 clutch.

Special thanks to Coz @ Concept Z Performance for all the help. Fast shipping and great pricing as well!

The combo came with all the necessary hardware and a braided stainless steel line, which gives the clutch a nice solid feel:

Name:  IMAG0333.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  191.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0343.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  217.4 KB

The flywheel is lighter than the stock Dual Mass Flywheel, but not so light that it creates the dreaded loud chatter that I wanted to avoid. It's about 7 lbs. lighter than stock, and although there is some unavoidable chatter, it's not bad at all. It only makes noise at idle (not always) and while taking off but only at low RPMs, as soon as you go over 2K RPMs, the chatter is completely gone.

Name:  IMAG0340.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  183.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0341.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  165.3 KB

While they were being installed in my car, the CSC (Clutch Slave Cylinder) was also found defective and had to be replaced. Unfortunately, I needed and wanted the car done the same day, so I had to bite the bullet and pay the stealership for an OEM CSC (if you have the time get it in advance, as it is cheaper buying the OEM CSC online and have it over-nighted to your house than buying from the dealer!)

FYI... The CSC is NOT replaced under warranty and the dealer will tell you that you HAVE to replace the CSC "tube" each time you replace the CSC... Not true. Have your shop inspect it, mine was flawless and did not need replacement. Saved myself about $60 there...

Neither I, nor my dealer had any clue as to what this famous "tube" looked like and couldn't give me a part number. I looked online and found it, so if you need one, the part number is 306a2JK40A and this is what they look like (picture borrowed from ConceptZ for illustration purposes)

Name:  9c9dfd451a119cd8808e50738e958aac.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  34.4 KB

Fortunately, Concept Z Performance carries all these parts, but they also carry a HD CSC version which is highly recommended, as the OEM part is mainly made of plastic!

I've had the new parts in for a week now. The clutch feels a little stiffer than OEM, nothing crazy. In the words of Black Betty... "it grabs like a ****" lol. And it does, although BB has a stage 3 clutch, my stage 1 still feels like a huge upgrade to the mushy OEM clutch.

The engage point is very low, almost at the lowest point of the pedal, which is expected to raise as it is broken in.

The lighter flywheel allows the engine RPMs to flow faster as it doesn't have to spin a 7 pound heavier OEM flywheel. It feels like I gain speed quicker, and find myself reaching high speeds faster.

So far I'm very satisfied with the setup and find even more excuses to go out for a drive!

One thing that the shop noticed, the clutch and flywheel are South Bend, but the clutch said Exedy on it. So I wonder if Exedy makes them for South Bend, or if they made a mistake at Concept Z...

And for those interested, here are the OEM parts that came out of my car...

Who wants to buy this flywheel? "slightly used"

Name:  imagejpeg_2_6.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  119.7 KB

Clutch and pressure plate. Mint condition...LOL

Name:  imagejpeg_2_4.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  167.4 KB

I guess they KINDA needed to be replaced uh? What do you guys think?

Last edited by jon23; 09-02-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great post thanks for the review! Seems like everyone has their slave cylinders failing on this car.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
The tube in question is to connect the fluid line from the outside to the inside of the trans housing.

The PDF below is a bit outdated, but you can see what/where it goes.

http://www.notre350z.com/forum/files...ructions.1.pdf

Also, from the Zspeed site, it appears the new heavy duty CSC has been redesigned so grinding down the tabs on the trans housing is no longer necessary. Truely a direct bolt on application. (I imagine concept Z is selling these new ones now too?)

Nissan 350z 370z G37 G35 heavy duty CSC Concentic clutch slave cylinder

They probably recommend replacing the stock tube because the oring may not seal properly after the tube is removed. Makes sense to replace the oring (I would) rather than the whole tube. Of course, probably easier for the dealership to replace the whole tube than mess around with a 50¢ oring. Or, some other damage/deformity may occur to the tube during R&R.

From the service manual;
Never reuse CSC (Concentric Slave Cylinder) body and CSC tube. Because CSC slides back to the
original position every time when removing transmission assembly. At this timing, dust on the slid-ing parts may damage a seal of CS C and may cause clutch fluid leakage.
Found this pic on ebay of the stock tube.

Jon, you don't have any pics of the inside of the pressure plate?
Old 08-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Great review Jon!

Here's a link to where you described how and why you chose the South Bend parts for anyone that's interested: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...th-clutch.html

I may be picking up a South Bend clutch soon! Thinking stage 2 but I am still not sure whats right for me (I am stock, no upgrades planned for the next few years).
Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 PM
jon23

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Skyline6mt
Great post thanks for the review! Seems like everyone has their slave cylinders failing on this car.
It appears so. I came across a bunch of G37s and also 370Z with the same problem. Poor building materials...

Originally Posted by Jsolo

Jon, you don't have any pics of the inside of the pressure plate?
I couldn't find any, unfortunately. I have one of the old one that is all torn up, but don't think you'll be interested in that one?

Originally Posted by Dough1397
I may be picking up a South Bend clutch soon! Thinking stage 2 but I am still not sure whats right for me (I am stock, no upgrades planned for the next few years).
The stage 2 will support more clamping force, but will also be harder on your leg. Black Betty had pointed out that his stage 3 does give him a little of a workout.

I don't plan on going FI at all, so stage 1 is more than enough for me. It's just a little stiffer than OEM, but nothing extreme. I love the new feeling...

My clutch had been in fact slipping for quite some time, actually ever since I bought the car, I just never knew the symptoms of a slipping clutch. The problem is, my car was in and out of the dealer for warranty work for at least 2-3 months after I purchased it, and every time I complained about the grinding in the transmission, they test drove it by themselves, and again once I picked it up with me. The signs were already there, but when I asked them if there was ANYTHING wrong with the car, they said that the car was in PERFECT conditions... A knowledgeable tech should've picked up on it almost immediately...

Since the Infiniti techs checked and test-drove my car at least twice due to my complaints about the transmission and said all was well, I actually assumed that the delay as the speed caught up with the engine's RPMs was just another thing our cars had... Until it got worse, and then the clutch just crumbled... The clutch pedal never collapsed though.

But Fast FWD, and now my car feels great. So in a way, I never actually felt the potential of this car when I drove it for the first time... I can now feel the little gains I got from my HKS exhaust and Stillen intakes! Together with the new clutch & flywheel, they make the car feel like something else!

Last edited by jon23; 08-30-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Awesome thread man! Glad it all worked out for you!! Wish we knew about the CSC beforehand and I could have helped you out, but hey, we know now lol.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Jon, I'd love pics of your old parts if you have any! I'd like to see what this stuff looks like after thousands of miles.

Yeah I am not planning on FI, but I think a grippier clutch may be better anyways. Then again I never felt what a stock clutch felt like when new. Maybe a stage 1 would be enough for my needs. I dont mind the leg workout if I do choose to go stage 2 :P. As you can see I havent made up my mind!! Ahhhhhh!
Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 AM
jon23

Originally Posted by TwoThree
Awesome thread man! Glad it all worked out for you!! Wish we knew about the CSC beforehand and I could have helped you out, but hey, we know now lol.
Thanks dude! I am glad all is well now. Don't worry about the CSC fiasco...lol. As you said, we know now, and knowledge is power... We never know and someday I'll need to apply your advice. Thanks for helping out so much!

Jon, I'd love pics of your old parts if you have any! I'd like to see what this stuff looks like after thousands of miles.

Yeah I am not planning on FI, but I think a grippier clutch may be better anyways. Then again I never felt what a stock clutch felt like when new. Maybe a stage 1 would be enough for my needs. I dont mind the leg workout if I do choose to go stage 2 :P. As you can see I havent made up my mind!! Ahhhhhh!
Sure thing, I'll look through my pics and post them as soon as I can.

You are in for a treat when you upgrade your clutch! It's THAT good. I was the same way than you at checkout... I kept thinking about the stage 2, and also the fact that I wanted to do something better for the clutch and not just install an aftermarket part that was the same than OEM... But rest assured that Stage 1 is not the same than OEM, not by a long shot! I actually had a friend of mine who has driven newer G37s before and he owns a Jetta GLI (TT), and he said it was a great step up from OEM, better response, and he wished his GLI responded like mine... And his GLI can go dude...
Old 09-02-2012, 10:49 AM
jon23

Jon, I'd love pics of your old parts if you have any! I'd like to see what this stuff looks like after thousands of miles

There you go buddy! Added pics of the "lightly" worn items on the main page.

Parts were replaced at around 53K miles. A little early, but as I stated before, the lady that owned my car before me didn't like the car too much I guess...
Old 09-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Jon, thanks for the pics!

I just got my car (and old parts) back! Review, pics and updates to follow.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:50 AM
jon23

Jon, thanks for the pics!

I just got my car (and old parts) back! Review, pics and updates to follow.

No problem at all!

It's been a month since the flywheel/clutch upgrade for me and I'm still within the break-in period. The pedal does not feel as heavy/stiff anymore and the engage point is higher, feels more OEM.

The G is much more fun to drive now, it really pushes me against the seat when switching gears, and I don't even push the car hard since I'm still breaking the parts in!!!

The only thing that kind of bothers me is the unavoidable flywheel chatter at idle range and before ~2,500 RPM. It does go away once I get past that point though. But it's kind of embarrassing pulling up a drive-thru with such a nice car making such an old-car noise!!

Soon I'll be done breaking them in and be able to have some fun again!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:42 AM
GotAir523

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
great review man. i actually just picked up my car from the dealership yesterday from getting the CSC and master slave cylinder replaced under extended warranty, didn't pay a cent though. they said only reason it's still covered is because i had the stock clutch system and didn't change that.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM
jon23

Originally Posted by GotAir523
great review man. i actually just picked up my car from the dealership yesterday from getting the CSC and master slave cylinder replaced under extended warranty, didn't pay a cent though. they said only reason it's still covered is because i had the stock clutch system and didn't change that.
Thanks!

I'm glad your extended warranty covered it, I had to not-so-happily let go about $1,600 to get all that in my car. I certainly was not expecting it at all, I hope nothing big breaks again... I haven't heard or read about other common issues with our cars.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GotAir523

Awesome, make use of that extended warranty! Dealer quoted me $1200+tax to replace CSC and clutch master, definitely not cheap. What'd you extended warranty cost?
Old 09-15-2012, 03:36 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I paid $1200 or $1300 for 8yr/100K/$100 deductible. I guess if this thing craps out just once, it has paid for itself. Still though, the failure is bound to happen again at some later mileage. Seems those CSC slaves are just built to not last.

Tagged along with a friend to look at some cars today, one of which was a sti. Got to drive it for just a small bit. Wow... what an easy to modulate clutch. Uptake is right where it should be, feel is lighter than the G (with the weaker spring), but still excellent feedback... WTF was nissan thinking when they designed this clutch!@#

Quick Reply: South Bend clutch & Flywheel review