D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Anybody know oil change DIY's for the 7AT XS coupes??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:49 PM
dmill86

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody know oil change DIY's for the 7AT XS coupes??

I'm going to look at a 2011 g37xs coupe (7AT) this weekend and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible on DIY oil changes for this particular car before I buy it. I'd like to get a better understanding of what DIY's I can perform myself at home so that I can better budget for future repairs. Anyone on here own a XS coupe with 7AT that does there own maintenance? (diff oil changes, ATF changes, transfer case oil changes ect?) because I'd really like to know how you go about your DIY's. I've come across a couple threads regarding these topics but none state whether or not these DIY's apply to the xs coupe as well. They usually are for either the g37s coupe (2008-2010) or for the x sedans. I have a good understanding of the different oil types needed for each procedure and how to go about doing the DIY's themselves just not sure if the actual DIY instructions on these threads can be used on the 7AT xs coupe as well. all of the DIY's seem pretty straight forward just wondering if these general guidelines can be used for the XS coupe 7AT? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:02 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
You may want to have a look at this channel: http://youtube.com/motorvatediy

Oil change & oil reminder reset:

Diff oil change:
Old 03-14-2017, 08:28 PM
dmill86

really appreciate you sharing those videos sonicVQ. However I couldn't help but notice that these oil changes were done on a 2008-2009 g37s sedan. Not an xs coupe. Can anyone chime in as to whether the procedure is the same for the xs coupes? I seem to remember reading that the procedure for changing the engine oil on the xs is not the same as the earlier generations? correct me if I'm wrong?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:37 PM
dmill86

Just looking through the videos on that youtube channel you provided looks like it will be a tremendous help if in fact these are the same procedures that are done on an xs coupe (7AT) hopefully someone can shed some light on this topic. Thanks again
Old 03-14-2017, 11:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Oil changes will be the same on your XS coupe, there may be a different plastic splash pan, I know my Sedan splash pan has an indented "hinge" that allows you to remove the rear four bolts and just crease the plastic back to allow access to the oil filter and drain plug. There are models that don't have this, so you might have to remove the entire splash pan.

The rear differential will be the same, and here's an ATF change DIY, and this will also be the same for your XS, and this also details dropping the pan for a more complete cleaning.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...rop-clean.html
Old 03-15-2017, 08:35 AM
dmill86

Originally Posted by blnewt
Oil changes will be the same on your XS coupe, there may be a different plastic splash pan, I know my Sedan splash pan has an indented "hinge" that allows you to remove the rear four bolts and just crease the plastic back to allow access to the oil filter and drain plug. There are models that don't have this, so you might have to remove the entire splash pan.

The rear differential will be the same, and here's an ATF change DIY, and this will also be the same for your XS, and this also details dropping the pan for a more complete cleaning.

Thank you so much for that info blnewt. I knew I could count on you guys! Would you happen to know if the front differential oil change procedure is the same as the rear diff ? just pretty much drain and fill? Thanks.

Now I'm really looking forward to my inspection this weekend. If everything checks out I will be the proud new owner of a G! I will be sure to post in the noobie thread to formally introduce myself and my new ride should I decide to purchase. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by dmill86; 03-15-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:08 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by dmill86
Just looking through the videos on that youtube channel you provided looks like it will be a tremendous help if in fact these are the same procedures that are done on an xs coupe (7AT) hopefully someone can shed some light on this topic. Thanks again
just did my 1st oil change on my '13xS coupe.

-only need to jack up driver's (left) side - will give you enough room and makes draining easier - it drains out of the pan towards the right side.

- undo (2) 10mm bolts to the small trapdoor on the belly pan to access the oil filter. there is a square opening to access the drain plug. no need to remove any plastic shields.

- 14mm wrench for the drain plug, 25 ft-lbs to tighten

- went to Infiniti dealer to get some drain plug crush washers, they gave me a whole bag for free (unlike Mitsubishi, for my wife's car - $10.34 for 4! )

- these items make oil changes and cleanup much easier ...

- box of disposable rubber gloves

very easy as far as oil changes go - 2nd will be even quicker since i won't have to go to my computer to look up torque spec and oil capacity.

Trending Topics

Old 03-15-2017, 12:01 PM
dmill86

Originally Posted by Landshark
just did my 1st oil change on my '13xS coupe.

-only need to jack up driver's (left) side - will give you enough room and makes draining easier - it drains out of the pan towards the right side.

- undo (2) 10mm bolts to the small trapdoor on the belly pan to access the oil filter. there is a square opening to access the drain plug. no need to remove any plastic shields.

- 14mm wrench for the drain plug, 25 ft-lbs to tighten

- went to Infiniti dealer to get some drain plug crush washers, they gave me a whole bag for free (unlike Mitsubishi, for my wife's car - $10.34 for 4! )

- these items make oil changes and cleanup much easier ...

- box of disposable rubber gloves

very easy as far as oil changes go - 2nd will be even quicker since i won't have to go to my computer to look up torque spec and oil capacity.

Thank you for posting that landshark! Makes life that much easier knowing I won't have to jack the whole car up. 2 questions. Did you just replace the crush washer? or both the crush washer and drain plug bolt? also, what is that black item in the last picture? Thanks
Old 03-15-2017, 12:07 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Just the crush washer would be replaced. The black item is an example of an oil filter removal tool. Get one that fits and your job just became 98% easier
Old 03-15-2017, 12:11 PM
dmill86

Ok thanks for clarifying that RMB5190, I will definitely look into getting one of those along with some crush washers (if need be)
Old 03-15-2017, 12:30 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts

Where you remove the filter, is there a way to not make a mess? I did this a few weeks ago and the flap does not line up with where the oil filter drains and it poured onto the plastic pan / underbelly. A mess followed, but do you do anything to help the filter area drain a bit more cleanly?
Old 03-15-2017, 03:46 PM
tank99
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Where you remove the filter, is there a way to not make a mess? I did this a few weeks ago and the flap does not line up with where the oil filter drains and it poured onto the plastic pan / underbelly. A mess followed, but do you do anything to help the filter area drain a bit more cleanly?
I second this. My Xterra was the same way. I was going to spend more time with it next go-round to see if I could mitigate the splash.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
It seems those flaps and access covers are different from year to year, model to model. Mine folds completely back & out of the way (I just hold it back w/ a bottle jack, or you can wire it), never had any oil gt into my pan.

Also, OP I wouldn't recommend ever working under your car w/ just a jack as your "savior", I know it may seem rare, but a hydraulic leak, jack failure, etc. can occur and can be deadly. I'd use ramps or jackstands, Simple DIY wood ramps work great and only cost a sheet of OSB and some screws

Old 03-15-2017, 05:25 PM
dmill86

It seems those flaps and access covers are different from year to year, model to model. Mine folds completely back & out of the way (I just hold it back w/ a bottle jack, or you can wire it), never had any oil gt into my pan.

Also, OP I wouldn't recommend ever working under your car w/ just a jack as your "savior", I know it may seem rare, but a hydraulic leak, jack failure, etc. can occur and can be deadly. I'd use ramps or jackstands, Simple DIY wood ramps work great and only cost a sheet of OSB and some screws

Thanks for that suggestion blnewt, I was actually considering making a set of these.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:44 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
I drop the whole splash shield when doing mine. Car is also raised and supported at all 4 corners. I do all 4 corners to keep the car level. Part of my 2x/yr oil change process involves carefully examining as much of the engine underside as I can. An led flash light helps. So far nothing is leaking. Before lowing it back down I also check the trans, rear diff, and rear cv joints (front tie rods/other suspension parts).