D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY AT shift knob replacement (B2Autodesign model)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by DeepakG37
Does your guys' **** spin?
Since I put that zip-tie around mine it won't (well it will until the boot is fully twisted), but it's supposed to so it can slide up & down freely.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:07 PM
mahadeod

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I could remember ,once I zip tied it, the spinning stopped, but I zip tied from under the boot for a seamless look...
Old 10-13-2015, 08:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by mahadeod
From what I could remember ,once I zip tied it, the spinning stopped, but I zip tied from under the boot for a seamless look...
Do you have a pic of your boot setup? I think I'll go that route, I tried to thread the **** onto the boot that was pressed into the threaded gap and no luck
Old 10-14-2015, 03:16 PM
mahadeod

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Do you have a pic of your boot setup? I think I'll go that route, I tried to thread the **** onto the boot that was pressed into the threaded gap and no luck
I do not have any photos from after I fixed the boot but I did the same method with my new shift ****, If you can get under the boot and put as much of the boot on the shift **** that will allow you to put the **** in park and to the shift-able section, put a zip tie on it and pull it really tight, use a pliers to give you some extra leverage, then align the zip tie and boot until it folds either at where you have the zip tie or a little higher. After that you should be good to go...
Attached Thumbnails DIY AT shift knob replacement (B2Autodesign model)-20151009_171730.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (10-14-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 04:52 PM
Craze
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Shifting

Looks pretty good
Old 12-19-2015, 02:01 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
I'm not 100% happy with the way the boot attachment came out, bit I'll be swapping it for a custom boot this summer, so it's ok. Ended up using a cable tie instead of a steel wire, and used the wire as a stopper for the tie not to slide down. Can't wait for my volume ***** to arrive.

As you can see it has a hump, but I have a way in mind to make it a perfect fit. Once I have some time on my hands and I can remove the boot completely, going to resew the stitching to make it factory looking.

EDIT:
the hump was bothering me, so for now I put a cable tie under there. going to thread some kevlar string to tighten it down.

Last edited by hexotic; 12-19-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:28 PM
Craze
Registered Member

Old 01-31-2016, 04:47 AM
TBau651

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Can someone point out where Vivid's trim broke? The links to the pics appear to be broken. I have an X as well and will be removing these trim pieces in the near future for a wrap job/bass controller mount. Any direction on what broke and where the proper pry spot is in the X would be much appreciated!
Old 01-31-2016, 11:35 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by TBau651
Can someone point out where Vivid's trim broke? The links to the pics appear to be broken. I have an X as well and will be removing these trim pieces in the near future for a wrap job/bass controller mount. Any direction on what broke and where the proper pry spot is in the X would be much appreciated!
Try sending Vivid a private message, should get a quick reply.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:26 PM
Ivan Yiu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for bumping such an old thread. I currently have the **** installed without the plastic piece. Is the piece necessary and what does it do?
Old 10-30-2019, 06:40 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by Ivan Yiu
Sorry for bumping such an old thread. I currently have the **** installed without the plastic piece. Is the piece necessary and what does it do?
The little black plastic piece? It acts as a shim if I remember right, allowing for a tight fit. It's been like 3 years since my install, hard to remember.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:01 PM
Andyrd504
Registered Member

B2

I got my shift **** in today. I ordered it on Saturday and it was at my front door Monday morning before noon and had it installed before 2pm. Lightning fast shipping from B2autodesigns.

I’m still not sure what exactly I’m going to do with the shift boot. I need to get an interior guy to fix my seat so I think I’m going to see if he will do something for me with it. But for now I’m going to do the zip tie thing until then. But overall, I think it is a major upgrade from the OEM ****.

Next up is the vinyl for the console area, and steering wheel. Also got a stitched steering wheel cover to do.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:15 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by Andyrd504
I got my shift **** in today. I ordered it on Saturday and it was at my front door Monday morning before noon and had it installed before 2pm. Lightning fast shipping from B2autodesigns.

I’m still not sure what exactly I’m going to do with the shift boot. I need to get an interior guy to fix my seat so I think I’m going to see if he will do something for me with it. But for now I’m going to do the zip tie thing until then. But overall, I think it is a major upgrade from the OEM ****.

Could always go the fake it till you make it route like me.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:07 PM
Andyrd504
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hexotic
Could always go the fake it till you make it route like me.

Your car is auto? You just Went right over the trim that has the parking reverse symbols on it? That’s actually not a bad idea if that’s what you did. I definitely like to look at that way better. What did you use to hold the leather to the **** itself?
Old 09-28-2020, 07:49 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Its auto, yes, same ****. The boot is from redlinegoods, same as the steering wheel cover so it all matches. i just used the silver shifter bezel to sandwich the leather in place and its perfect. You still see your gears on your dash, and just muscle memory.

Quick Reply: DIY AT shift knob replacement (B2Autodesign model)