D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

G37 / 370GT Takeda Air Filter Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 06:02 AM
Ahu2in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 / 370GT Takeda Air Filter Mod

Hi All,

I have just completed making some Air Filter Shrouds for my Takeda Dual Pod Filters.

I was hoping to get some feedback from you all about what you thought of them so I will post some Pictures below. As I understand the "Law" here in AUS. As long as the Pods are enclosed in the Engine Bay they are ok. I may very well be wrong on this.

Reason why I did this was

1/ Potentially Avoiding Defects from Police if and when I get pulled over. Had alot of trouble with previous cars receiving and then clearing defects. First thing cops do is ask for me to pop the hood. As I am doing other modifications on the car .... Lowering and Exhaust later I want the car to have minimal things defectable.

2/ Cosmetics - I think it does look alot cleaner under the hood.

I did have a concern that the Motor might not be getting enough air but I have been driving and monitoring it and it seems fine. I still have the standard air flow pipesfrom the standard air boxes feeding from in behind the front grill. This is feeding air right to the front of the pods so I think I am good there with air flow.

Anyway enough rambling the side still need a little cleaning up but near enough complete. Your feedback is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails G37 / 370GT Takeda Air Filter Mod-engine-with-shrouds.jpg  
Old 10-31-2011, 07:02 AM
AussieV36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking good mate
cops in aus can still issue a defect notice even if you comply with ADR & have an engineers certificate, I've seen it happen. It's the inspection station that has to clear you of the defect. Crappy situation but that's how it is.
The more respect you show the least likely it will be they will issue a defect to you.
I find I get left alone in my v36, never been pulled over for a 'random inspection' & RBT they never ask me to pop the hood.
If you really wanna throw them off have the shields & pipes painted black, on my old R34 I had the intercooler & pod shields painted black & they couldn't tell the difference, they are trained to look for shiny silver & colourful pods

I Like what you did with the shields, doubt it will stop much heat soak but at least you kept the air funnels which is the most important
Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
the setup itself looks to be very clean, very nice install. The only thing I would say is...the functionality of a shortram isn't necessarily to try and prevent from heat soak(otherwise they would have made it a CAI), but its to open up the restriction of the air flow. What you've done w/ these "sheilds" is reversed this and restricted it all over again, kind of defeating the purpose of a short-ram.