D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Installing Stillen Gen3 Intakes Help

Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 PM
nkG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i removed the bumper on mine & used a dremel with no problem. IMO removing the bumper made it a lot easier & didnt scratch any of the tubes. The black cushion with adhesive i also purchased at home depot & works great with it. No rattling at all.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:37 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by nkG37S
i removed the bumper on mine & used a dremel with no problem. IMO removing the bumper made it a lot easier & didnt scratch any of the tubes. The black cushion with adhesive i also purchased at home depot & works great with it. No rattling at all.

Thanks for the input. Def will be using this and probably doing a DIY if I go w/ this intake. Waiting on my buddies dyno results on Monday from his R2C's first.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:04 AM
HRDROKN

Originally Posted by masterdukill
Here's my install, crappy passenger side. For others, be aware there is a metal thing inside the tunnel where you stick your pipes through that will scratch your pipe up good. Pad it. Learned it the hard way Its kinda sucks that it lays against the car chassis, and the passenger tubes don't align up 100%. I was hoping it wouldn't touch any of the car body, wiggled it around with no hope so only way to keep it off was to use padding. Hopefully it won't pop or break for the next 5yrs!
The pics you have showing the scratching on the passenger side (from rubbing on the metal suport) and the pic you have showing the pading as the tube goes through the the metal front support on the drivers side.... is where I did some additional grinding for a better fit/clearance.

I also made mounts for the tube as it passes through the cut out area of the rad support so that padding was not required. I didnt use the bracket at the filter end.... I just tied the two studs together with a piece of aluminum... really just for added security as the new rad support bracket/mount held the tube fine by itself. I mounted the rain deflector off the bumper and perfectly centered.

Normally I take pics of this kind of stuff, but I was a little irritated that there wasn't some better thought/engineering in the first place.

Love the results... sounds nice and the butt dyno says it's good, so it's all good!

Old 02-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by HRDROKN
The pics you have showing the scratching on the passenger side (from rubbing on the metal suport) and the pic you have showing the pading as the tube goes through the the metal front support on the drivers side.... is where I did some additional grinding for a better fit/clearance.

Normally I take pics of this kind of stuff, but I was a little irritated that there wasn't some better thought/engineering in the first place.

Love the results... sounds nice and the butt dyno says it's good, so it's all good!

Any chance you can post pics of your install?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 AM
D_Rek

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That video explained it all.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:36 PM
freshgeardude

Bump.

Could anyone take pictures on the passenger side where there are reported rubbing with the AC line? from what I've been reading, the passenger side tube could rupture the AC line and cause leak all the Freon gas costing much more money to fix.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:29 AM
masterdukill
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Freshgeardude,

If you look at my post earlier in this thread !@ Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 AM . The 2nd PIC has the AC lines. The lines are actually on the driver side going to the front of the grill. You can see from the pic i put padding on the side going to the front. On the front, i actually put more padding on the lines themselves, just in case.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:41 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
I just did this today, it took me around 3 hours start to finish, and that included two trips to autozone to buy parts. If anyone is interested, I'll do a more extensive write up.

Tools:
Rockwell Oscillating cutter (holy crap, made the job so easy)
10, 12, 14mm sockets
screwdrivers
weather stripping (the wide kind with an adhesive back)
wrenches/etc.

1. Take the bumper off, there's a DIY for that already.
2. Remove old intakes, in my case, the old K&N's.
3. Use the oscillating cutter to trim out the plastic and widen the holes. I didn't know exactly how much I would need, so I just cut as much as I felt comfortable trimming. The hole is quite sizable.
4. Protect your hole. I used weather stripping from Lowes to line the inside of the holes I had just finished cutting, and to protect my AC lines from rubbing.
5. Install the upper tubes.
6. Thread the lower tubes up through the holes and attach to upper tubes with attached silicone coupling.
7. Install filter mount bracket to suspiciously flimsy center brace.
8. Attach filters to lower tubes and spend a RIDICULOUS amount of time trying to get the dang filter shield to attach.
9. tighten everything up from the filters to the throttle bodies.
10. Realize that stillen didn't send enough breather hose to attach the passenger side intake to the vacuum sensor.
11. Make 2 trips to autozone to find out that the breather hose is actually 5/8", not 1/2".
12. Fiddle with couplings and heater hose sections until you can finally secure the vacuum line to the intake.
13. Give everything a once over and make sure your MAF sensors are plugged in and installed correctly. You'll know if you didn't do it right because when you start the car, your revs will go absolutely mental and your dash will light up like a slot machine.
14. Reinstall everything and button back up.

If i do a more detailed writeup, it'll include some pics and a step by step how-to.

Thanks,
Anthony
The following users liked this post:
SupraOfDoom (03-08-2017)