MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications (https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-installations-modifications-11/)
-   -   Installing Stillen Gen3 Intakes Help (https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-installations-modifications/222790-installing-stillen-gen3-intakes-help.html)

masterdukill 06-14-2011 01:38 AM

Installing Stillen Gen3 Intakes Help

Hi, anybody have any advices, tips, warnings on installing the Stillen Gen3 intakes on a G37 Coupe?:hello: I've read people bought spaces or some kind of padding they used to keep the intakes from shaking? Neoprene rubber or something?? Could someone provide me some amazon links to this? I have amazon prime and would like to get it before this weekend before install :)

Ken 06-14-2011 02:00 AM

It's an easy install. The best advice I can give is to make sure you don't damage your MAF sensors and take your time installing. If you cut your holes well there shouldn't be any rubbing. If you want to cushion it, you can get some thick black adhesive thermal wrap that comes in a roll from a home depot, lowes, or other home improvement store.

masterdukill 06-14-2011 02:02 AM

Could you give me a brand? some specific name of that black adhesive thermal wrap? Possibly a link to amazon? Maybe a sample picture of what i should be looking for?

CDONNS 06-14-2011 03:26 PM

Be mindful of the coolant lines as well. I've heard they get close and can rub holes in them (the coolant lines that is)

Djfarhan 06-14-2011 05:01 PM

YouTube - ‪Stillen Gen3 Ultra Long Intake installed on 2007 G35 Sedan V36 (VQ35HR)‬‏

Ken 06-15-2011 03:38 AM

This is the one I have. It's insulation wrap that works great for padding.
Shurtape IT-100 Foam Pipe Wrap Insulation Tape at FindTape.com

masterdukill 06-16-2011 03:02 AM

Thanks, now I'll know what to look for exactly a lowes this Friday :)

Originally Posted by Ken (Post 3158576)
This is the one I have. It's insulation wrap that works great for padding.
Shurtape IT-100 Foam Pipe Wrap Insulation Tape at FindTape.com

masterdukill 06-19-2011 02:38 AM

Damn, finally installed it today. What a PIA to install. Had quite a bit of scratches on the bottom tubes :( Anybody know how to clear/clean these scratches? otherwise i'm gonna let it get dirty to hide :D Also seems the sedans are easier to install, and most of the tutorials are for the sedans? Cracked a bit of my radiator cover also :( .Overall, worth the growl :D

Samurai 06-19-2011 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by masterdukill (Post 3161582)
Damn, finally installed it today. What a PIA to install. Had quite a bit of scratches on the bottom tubes :( Anybody know how to clear/clean these scratches? otherwise i'm gonna let it get dirty to hide :D Also seems the sedans are easier to install, and most of the tutorials are for the sedans? Cracked a bit of my radiator cover also :( .Overall, worth the growl :D

Yeah I've heard many people complain that this intake is a lot harder to install on the coupe than the sedan lol. Maybe Ken is just an expert at doing these kinds of things lol. Mind showing us pics?

masterdukill 06-19-2011 06:01 PM

I'll try to get some pics up this week. I already put the covers back on, won't be much but just the intake and cracked radiator cover.

masterdukill 06-21-2011 03:59 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's my install, crappy passenger side. For others, be aware there is a metal thing inside the tunnel where you stick your pipes through that will scratch your pipe up good. Pad it. Learned it the hard way :( Its kinda sucks that it lays against the car chassis, and the passenger tubes don't align up 100%. I was hoping it wouldn't touch any of the car body, wiggled it around with no hope so only way to keep it off was to use padding. Hopefully it won't pop or break for the next 5yrs!

Alpha Ice 06-24-2011 12:08 PM

Ouch! Good to know tho, did you remove your bumper too or attempt it without doing that? Some ppl have said they could if they dremel out the holes lol

masterdukill 07-17-2011 04:04 AM

I did not attempt to remove my bumper. I only needed to pull the cover off(which you need to do anyways), pull off the grill, and used an oscillating cutter to cut the holes bigger. If you use a dremel, you minus well take off the bumper, or spend a few days trying to cut the hole bigger. The work area is very "small" on the driver side and i wouldn't know how ppl do it with a dremel.

SRG 07-17-2011 04:38 AM

Super easy if you remove the bumper IMO... You just have more room to work with

masterdukill 07-19-2011 12:31 AM

It should be easy for a more experienced person, but for someone like me who's been looking at the forums, seeing how ppl break/yank/unscrew(rescrew) in so many places/having alignment issues on the the reinstall, it seemed scary and more troublesome work than using a oscillating cutter :) More space would of been nice, but not worth the trouble IMO.