D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Installing Stillen Gen3 Intakes Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:38 AM
masterdukill
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Installing Stillen Gen3 Intakes Help

Hi, anybody have any advices, tips, warnings on installing the Stillen Gen3 intakes on a G37 Coupe? I've read people bought spaces or some kind of padding they used to keep the intakes from shaking? Neoprene rubber or something?? Could someone provide me some amazon links to this? I have amazon prime and would like to get it before this weekend before install
Old 06-14-2011, 02:00 AM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It's an easy install. The best advice I can give is to make sure you don't damage your MAF sensors and take your time installing. If you cut your holes well there shouldn't be any rubbing. If you want to cushion it, you can get some thick black adhesive thermal wrap that comes in a roll from a home depot, lowes, or other home improvement store.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 AM
masterdukill
Registered Member

Could you give me a brand? some specific name of that black adhesive thermal wrap? Possibly a link to amazon? Maybe a sample picture of what i should be looking for?

Last edited by masterdukill; 06-14-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:26 PM
CDONNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be mindful of the coolant lines as well. I've heard they get close and can rub holes in them (the coolant lines that is)
Old 06-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
YouTube - ‪Stillen Gen3 Ultra Long Intake installed on 2007 G35 Sedan V36 (VQ35HR)‬‏
Old 06-15-2011, 03:38 AM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This is the one I have. It's insulation wrap that works great for padding.
Shurtape IT-100 Foam Pipe Wrap Insulation Tape at FindTape.com
Old 06-16-2011, 03:02 AM
masterdukill
Registered Member

Thanks, now I'll know what to look for exactly a lowes this Friday

Originally Posted by Ken
This is the one I have. It's insulation wrap that works great for padding.
Shurtape IT-100 Foam Pipe Wrap Insulation Tape at FindTape.com
Old 06-19-2011, 02:38 AM
masterdukill
Registered Member

Damn, finally installed it today. What a PIA to install. Had quite a bit of scratches on the bottom tubes Anybody know how to clear/clean these scratches? otherwise i'm gonna let it get dirty to hide Also seems the sedans are easier to install, and most of the tutorials are for the sedans? Cracked a bit of my radiator cover also .Overall, worth the growl
Old 06-19-2011, 03:05 AM
Samurai

Originally Posted by masterdukill
Damn, finally installed it today. What a PIA to install. Had quite a bit of scratches on the bottom tubes Anybody know how to clear/clean these scratches? otherwise i'm gonna let it get dirty to hide Also seems the sedans are easier to install, and most of the tutorials are for the sedans? Cracked a bit of my radiator cover also .Overall, worth the growl
Yeah I've heard many people complain that this intake is a lot harder to install on the coupe than the sedan lol. Maybe Ken is just an expert at doing these kinds of things lol. Mind showing us pics?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:01 PM
masterdukill
Registered Member

I'll try to get some pics up this week. I already put the covers back on, won't be much but just the intake and cracked radiator cover.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:59 AM
masterdukill
Registered Member

Talking

Here's my install, crappy passenger side. For others, be aware there is a metal thing inside the tunnel where you stick your pipes through that will scratch your pipe up good. Pad it. Learned it the hard way Its kinda sucks that it lays against the car chassis, and the passenger tubes don't align up 100%. I was hoping it wouldn't touch any of the car body, wiggled it around with no hope so only way to keep it off was to use padding. Hopefully it won't pop or break for the next 5yrs!
Attached Thumbnails Installing Stillen Gen3 Intakes Help-driverside.jpg   Installing Stillen Gen3 Intakes Help-driverside2.jpg   Installing Stillen Gen3 Intakes Help-passengerscratchtubed.jpg   Installing Stillen Gen3 Intakes Help-passengersideissues.jpg   Installing Stillen Gen3 Intakes Help-crackedradiatorcover.jpg  

Old 06-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch! Good to know tho, did you remove your bumper too or attempt it without doing that? Some ppl have said they could if they dremel out the holes lol
Old 07-17-2011, 04:04 AM
masterdukill
Registered Member

I did not attempt to remove my bumper. I only needed to pull the cover off(which you need to do anyways), pull off the grill, and used an oscillating cutter to cut the holes bigger. If you use a dremel, you minus well take off the bumper, or spend a few days trying to cut the hole bigger. The work area is very "small" on the driver side and i wouldn't know how ppl do it with a dremel.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:38 AM
SRG

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Super easy if you remove the bumper IMO... You just have more room to work with
Old 07-19-2011, 12:31 AM
masterdukill
Registered Member

It should be easy for a more experienced person, but for someone like me who's been looking at the forums, seeing how ppl break/yank/unscrew(rescrew) in so many places/having alignment issues on the the reinstall, it seemed scary and more troublesome work than using a oscillating cutter More space would of been nice, but not worth the trouble IMO.

Quick Reply: Installing Stillen Gen3 Intakes Help