D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: GT-R Start Button Installation

Old 08-04-2015, 12:19 PM
jroyalty7
Premier Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I read someone had luck with removing the plastic panel piece underneath the steering column and going up through the bottom
Old 08-04-2015, 03:19 PM
bikerjosh
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, finally got it. What a PIA. I think I installed the ARK exhaust in less time. I know I for sure took less time in replacing in cabin air filter and LED in glove box.
Next up air intakes.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:36 PM
Mr_Mer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jroyalty7
I read someone had luck with removing the plastic panel piece underneath the steering column and going up through the bottom
There is a little plastic piece right under the steering wheel, I removed that with a gentle tug, undid 2 phillips screws and removed a small brace, now my beefy, manly hand could fit all the way to the switch. That helped a lot.

I think I had more issues getting the plug back into the switch than anything else.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:05 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Funny enough, i prefer the white much more. If i had a GTR I'd swap the white infiniti one in lol.

Now if it was blue...
Old 01-25-2016, 10:17 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
To add to this, when dissecting the infinti button to swap the guts over to the GT-R button. I used a very thin washer I had lying around to create a gap between the black plastic casing and the LED board. Then, with pliers and a towel. I grabbed the led board and pulled once I created a gap with the washer
Old 02-08-2016, 06:38 PM
SabanBec
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the DIY, will be doing this soon!
Old 02-27-2016, 05:15 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Just ordered my gtr button and I can't wait to get it modded and installed!

Last edited by kennyz424; 02-29-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:25 AM
AzNBoY92

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
Whew took longer than I expected just cause the button took a bit to push out. Believed if its first time you're taking it out its held on my glue or some hard paint but after that literally took 5 minutes to get harness off and swapped new button in.
The following users liked this post:
Whiterocket (03-20-2020)
Old 05-16-2016, 09:42 PM
Mkhlmnn

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
idk about all of you but getting the start button unplugged and plugged in was a B***H! Easily had my hand getting cut a few times and swearing like a sailor during the mod
Old 10-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Supagoku

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sat in car about an hour trying to figure it out. Finally got it installed in about 10 minutes. I have a 2008 G37S Coupe so it may be different on some other models. Thanks to these posts, they all helped out.

Just pulling the right side shroud down was enough without removing it. From my seat i located the ribbed button. Went up through the bottom to the button where i pulled down the shroud to push it in with a small narrow flathead screwdriver and twist(head was small to fit the gap of the button to push and twist). Once the button was pushed in and back enough to where you didn't have to push it in anymore, you can try to fit your hand in between the plastic or try to carefully and slowly push the housing back with the head of the screwdriver until its all the way out of the switch. As i read in another post, push on the back of the switch while carefully using a thin flathead screwdriver under the chrome trim and twist. Button should pop out. Had enough slack in harness to line up with hand when pushing button back in and enough space to get my hand in to click it back in. Not as hard as i thought it would be 4 me. Hopefully this helps some of you all.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:07 PM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
The reason the button is hard to remove is because there are 2 push-clips holding it in, on the bottom right and top left. I used a slim credit card to wedge in between the plastic lower-dash and the chrome on the button to try and release these two, and it worked so much better.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:18 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mazaki
Disclaimer: I am not reponsible for any mistakes made by following my DIY article.

Video:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VHHGMkFrPio?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VHHGMkFrPio?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you're like me, you've found yourself drawn to the idea of taking the ruby start/stop button found in Nissan's supercar, the GT-R, and installing it in place of the G37's dull, white button. Well, good news is, the GT-R button is easy to obtain (I ordered mine from West Covina Nissan, AKA TheNismoShop, can be found at Z1 motorsports and other reputable online stores), and the button is relatively easy to install as well, provided you have about 15 minutes or so to commit to giving your interior some unique flare.

So, assuming you have your button on hand, go ahead and have yourself a beer, then savor the sweet, metallic finish of the GT-R button in your other hand. Then envision that button in your G37. If you can't see it, keep drinking beers until you do.

Now, take off any watches/jewelry. The last thing you want to do is mark up your interior trying to get this button in. Not that it will be a wrestling match or anything, but some members with larger hands (me included) may find their fingers getting stuck trying to pry paneling or reconnect the harness. I promise, it won't hurt you.

Gather your tools. You will need:

-A long flathead or philips head screwdriver
-A flashlight (really helps you see what you're doing)
-A dime* (only if you plan on swapping your original button's "guts" into your new button to retain the color scheme)
REMOVAL OF THE BUTTON

Once you've gathered your tools, get in your car and tilt the steering column all the UP and telescope it all the way OUT. You want to maximize the amount of room you have to work with. Then, through some creative method (I laid down sideways into the driver's foot well with my legs hanging out of the car) you will need to get under your steering column so you can see what you're doing. Taking your flashlight, shine it up into the gap between the dash and gauge housing, and locate your start button. It's pretty easy to find: just a fat, black cylinder with brown wire harness coming out the back of it.

Once you've located your button, get your screwdriver into this gap and find a little ribbed clip on the wire harness. Give this a push to disconnect it. It may take some fiddling, but be patient. If you feel getting your fingers in the mix may help, do so. Once the wire harness is disconnect, simply push the button unit out towards the steering wheel. It should pop right out, though it may take a bit of a push the first time, especially on the older G's. As long as the wire harness is detached, just push on that sucker. Once the button is out, squeeze the two clips on the sides to slid the chrome trim ring off the assembly.

NOW STOP RIGHT HERE.
Make your decision: do you want the GT-R button to shine amber on the Start/Stop lettering, or white?

If you want amber, skip forward to the Reinstallation section. Your button is ready for installation. If you want to swap the "guts" of your Infiniti button so the GT-R button matches your interior lighting color scheme, keep reading.
SWAPPING THE "GUTS"

Now personally, I like the white color of the original start button, so I wanted to swap out the internals of my Infiniti button and put them in the GT-R button. Courtesy of Nissan's cost-cutting, these buttons are physically identical in terms of dimensions, meaning we can simply swap one LED panel into another.
The LED panel on the GT-R button will be brown, and will be held to the black cylinder by two fragile clips. This is where the dime comes in. Carefully wedge the dime in and lift each side of the brown panel up until you can eventually work it out. Be patient here. Better for it to take a long time than for you to break your brand new button. Once it's out, leave the white silicone membrane inside the button. Then, remove the blue plastic LED panel from the Infiniti button the same way as you did with the GT-R button. From here, simply insert the blue panel into the GT-R cylinder, making sure the LEDs line up with the ports for Lock/Acc/On. Your button now ready for installation.

REINSTALLATION

So, now that you've got your button ready to be installed, take the chrome trim and slip it on the black cylinder. It's a bit picky about which side it's on, so if you slip it on and it doesn't clip into place, rotate it 180 degrees and try that.
From here, installing the button is straightforward. Reconnect the harness to the back of the button, then slide it into the dashboard until it clips into place. Make sure it's seated, then turn your car on. If it lights up and works, congrats! You now have a sexy, sporty GT-R button in your G37.
Finally, admire your work, then go have another beer.
do you have any pics of what it looks like after the install??
Old 05-21-2020, 07:16 AM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mazaki
Disclaimer: I am not reponsible for any mistakes made by following my DIY article.

Video:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VHHGMkFrPio?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VHHGMkFrPio?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you're like me, you've found yourself drawn to the idea of taking the ruby start/stop button found in Nissan's supercar, the GT-R, and installing it in place of the G37's dull, white button. Well, good news is, the GT-R button is easy to obtain (I ordered mine from West Covina Nissan, AKA TheNismoShop, can be found at Z1 motorsports and other reputable online stores), and the button is relatively easy to install as well, provided you have about 15 minutes or so to commit to giving your interior some unique flare.

So, assuming you have your button on hand, go ahead and have yourself a beer, then savor the sweet, metallic finish of the GT-R button in your other hand. Then envision that button in your G37. If you can't see it, keep drinking beers until you do.

Now, take off any watches/jewelry. The last thing you want to do is mark up your interior trying to get this button in. Not that it will be a wrestling match or anything, but some members with larger hands (me included) may find their fingers getting stuck trying to pry paneling or reconnect the harness. I promise, it won't hurt you.

Gather your tools. You will need:

-A long flathead or philips head screwdriver
-A flashlight (really helps you see what you're doing)
-A dime* (only if you plan on swapping your original button's "guts" into your new button to retain the color scheme)
REMOVAL OF THE BUTTON

Once you've gathered your tools, get in your car and tilt the steering column all the UP and telescope it all the way OUT. You want to maximize the amount of room you have to work with. Then, through some creative method (I laid down sideways into the driver's foot well with my legs hanging out of the car) you will need to get under your steering column so you can see what you're doing. Taking your flashlight, shine it up into the gap between the dash and gauge housing, and locate your start button. It's pretty easy to find: just a fat, black cylinder with brown wire harness coming out the back of it.

Once you've located your button, get your screwdriver into this gap and find a little ribbed clip on the wire harness. Give this a push to disconnect it. It may take some fiddling, but be patient. If you feel getting your fingers in the mix may help, do so. Once the wire harness is disconnect, simply push the button unit out towards the steering wheel. It should pop right out, though it may take a bit of a push the first time, especially on the older G's. As long as the wire harness is detached, just push on that sucker. Once the button is out, squeeze the two clips on the sides to slid the chrome trim ring off the assembly.

NOW STOP RIGHT HERE.
Make your decision: do you want the GT-R button to shine amber on the Start/Stop lettering, or white?

If you want amber, skip forward to the Reinstallation section. Your button is ready for installation. If you want to swap the "guts" of your Infiniti button so the GT-R button matches your interior lighting color scheme, keep reading.
SWAPPING THE "GUTS"

Now personally, I like the white color of the original start button, so I wanted to swap out the internals of my Infiniti button and put them in the GT-R button. Courtesy of Nissan's cost-cutting, these buttons are physically identical in terms of dimensions, meaning we can simply swap one LED panel into another.
The LED panel on the GT-R button will be brown, and will be held to the black cylinder by two fragile clips. This is where the dime comes in. Carefully wedge the dime in and lift each side of the brown panel up until you can eventually work it out. Be patient here. Better for it to take a long time than for you to break your brand new button. Once it's out, leave the white silicone membrane inside the button. Then, remove the blue plastic LED panel from the Infiniti button the same way as you did with the GT-R button. From here, simply insert the blue panel into the GT-R cylinder, making sure the LEDs line up with the ports for Lock/Acc/On. Your button now ready for installation.

REINSTALLATION

So, now that you've got your button ready to be installed, take the chrome trim and slip it on the black cylinder. It's a bit picky about which side it's on, so if you slip it on and it doesn't clip into place, rotate it 180 degrees and try that.
From here, installing the button is straightforward. Reconnect the harness to the back of the button, then slide it into the dashboard until it clips into place. Make sure it's seated, then turn your car on. If it lights up and works, congrats! You now have a sexy, sporty GT-R button in your G37.
Finally, admire your work, then go have another beer.
Does anybody have dieseldoug22 number? I'd like to get my GT-R button modded. Please PM me!!
Old 09-08-2020, 09:45 PM
Cluemaster
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed front spoiler today
Old 06-17-2023, 07:42 AM
Vlad Orlov
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks clean, gona pick one up asap haha