D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: GT-R Start Button Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 PM
g35man04
Premier Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
pm responded
Old 08-23-2013, 11:32 AM
jefftodd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a little bit of luck...

Decided to do this mod since I thought the red GTR button looked better with my Monaco Red interior (2010 anniversary). Thought I'd stick my fingers in there and see if there was enough slack in the wiring harness to pop it out without having to be a contortionist on the floor, etc. I pushed the switch from behind with not a lot of force, and got a little more than i bargained for. Yes, the whole button assembly popped out, but at the same time, the actual white button itself popped out separately and landed on the floor at my feet. I scratched my head and then wondered if I could take apart the GTR switch and just swap the button itself. In less than 5 minutes, I was completely done, and now have a unique mod without the word "engine" at the bottom - just "start/stop" is all you see. On the flip side, I now technically have a white GTR button with the words "start/stop/engine/engine" on it - maybe i'll see if i can sell that on the GTR forum!
Attached Thumbnails GT-R Start Button Installation-20130823_101216.jpg   GT-R Start Button Installation-20130823_101518.jpg   GT-R Start Button Installation-20130823_101734.jpg  
Old 09-30-2013, 03:58 PM
empire_dnh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got mine done last nite

absolutely gorgeous

Thanks Mazaki
Old 10-10-2013, 12:12 AM
FoXBDa1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great DIY thread and video

Does anyone have a night time pic of this without the use of flash?
Curious to see how the GTR button looks lit. Thanks in advanced.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:37 PM
deadguy366

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got mine. Getting the old button out wasn't too difficult but I'm still having trouble reconnecting the wire harness to the new button. I'm pretty sure it's lined up but no matter what I do it wont push back in...

EDIT: Pushing the clip on the harness back in is the only thing that worked for me.

Last edited by deadguy366; 11-10-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 PM
GSRteggie22

Got mine delivered today and installed it in about 35 minutes but, it could have been a lot shorter. The video posted on page one is good for illustrating the parts and areas that you'll be working with however, I found that it was tough to remove the button by doing it the way the video suggests. I spent about 30 minutes trying to remove the button as mentioned in the video, but after getting frustrated I searched for an alternate route. Here's how to do this install in 5 minutes....

Lay on your back at the edge of the seat looking up and your feet on the ground outside the car...look straight up under the steering wheel (after you adjusted it all the way up) you'll be able to see the back of the button and the wiring harness perfectly! Now what you wanna do is "break the seal" of the factory button by pushing from behind in order to force it out of the hole in the dash. I found that I had to push surprisingly hard to get the button out of the dash the first time but every time after that, it was nice and easy. So after you push the button out of the dash the first time, push it right back in and repeat a few times to loosen the fit just a little. Don't worry the button will always fit nice and snug back in the dash. Now looking up at the plug/harness, use a long flathead screwdriver to push the brown ribbed tab in as mentioned in the video while SIMULTANEOUSLY twisting the screwdriver to help begin the separation of harness from the back of the button. This is the hardest part and might take some patience but in my opinion, doing this was much much easier than accessing the harness from the side as shown in the video. The view of the plug/harness from under the wheel is perfect. Once the button is released from the plug slide the button out and follow the steps in the video. For reinstalling and making the wire connection, I recommend pushing the button til it fully clips into the dash and then using the flathead screwdriver to help push the wire back onto the button until it clips.
The following users liked this post:
Mattyem (09-27-2016)
Old 12-28-2013, 04:03 PM
infiniskyline
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed mine this morning, took about 15 minutes. Took forever pushing the old button out, popped out like a cork when it finally released
Old 01-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Deelow
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Did mine today and after a grueling dime vs button session I switched out the guts successfully. I think the hardest part was reinserting the harness plug!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:41 PM
JC-RH
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
So only the letters (START STOP) letter light up on the red GTR button? I wish the whole thing did. Does anyone have good night time pics with no flash?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:46 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by JC-RH
So only the letters (START STOP) letter light up on the red GTR button? I wish the whole thing did. Does anyone have good night time pics with no flash?
Yeah, but that would be distracting when you're doing mad skids in your G37TR
Old 01-04-2014, 03:33 PM
JC-RH
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, I found the answer right after I asked the question.

Does anyone have dieseldoug22's contact info? I'm looking to get a GTR button with custom LEDs, but it doesn't look like he's been on the boards for over a year. Someone PM me please.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:33 PM
ballistikG

Hey guys, can we get a picture of the new red button at night with no flash?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:40 PM
lake985
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Here you go:
Name:  73D836FB-5FE3-430A-B515-0A750775E744.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  57.1 KB
Old 02-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Yeah, I found the answer right after I asked the question.

Does anyone have dieseldoug22's contact info? I'm looking to get a GTR button with custom LEDs, but it doesn't look like he's been on the boards for over a year. Someone PM me please.
DieselDoug hasn't been here in a while. The people that have his contact info said that they would not share it out of respect for his privacy. If he isn't posting here anymore, then I doubt he's still working on the buttons.

I'm having OnlyNismo mod my GTR button. I ordered it from Amazon and had it shipped directly to him. Others have had him work on theirs as well. Look him up...he's in Cali
Old 02-13-2014, 11:08 PM
inspector94
Premier Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
If you want the whole thing to lit up use the original G button and use a red LED for the center .

BTW anyone selling a 08 or before OEM button for cheap? The one with the engine letters on the bottom and not the button, heard it was only changed after 08. Doesn't have to be 08, could be any that fits my description, like jefftodd's up there but he hasn't been on for a while.

Quick Reply: DIY: GT-R Start Button Installation