D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY : Need one for installing lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Scoobyj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY : Need one for installing lowering springs

Does anyone have a good DYI for installing lowering springs? I would think one for the G35 would be good also.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:13 PM
J.Oh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its really not safe because your going to need to compress springs and that in itself is very dangerous have someone that knows what there doing do it
Old 08-15-2008, 01:55 AM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
+1000 on that, everyone knows by now I love doing all the installs myself and springs were the one item I brought to a pro to do. You'll need a spring compressor to install them. Also the car will need to be aligned afterwards. My guy did the install and alignment at the infiniti dealer for $200 I've heard of people getting better prices though
Old 08-15-2008, 03:25 AM
J.Oh

Originally Posted by VIP G
+1000 on that, everyone knows by now I love doing all the installs myself and springs were the one item I brought to a pro to do. You'll need a spring compressor to install them. Also the car will need to be aligned afterwards. My guy did the install and alignment at the infiniti dealer for $200 I've heard of people getting better prices though
are you freaking serious.... i would of loved to have paid $200 for both... i paid 130 for springs and i have YET to get an alignment...
Old 08-15-2008, 04:19 AM
VIP G

aftermarket shop did my alignment right b4 driving to ny for $100
Old 08-15-2008, 05:11 PM
LAG37

you should have a shop install them for u..
Old 08-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Scoobyj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that you have to be careful with spring installs. I have done them before, but with Jeeps. Those springs are a lot bigger can Kill you! But I love doing my own mods. So, if anyone has a DYI, I would still like to see it!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:07 PM
koelzmod

Originally Posted by Scoobyj
I know that you have to be careful with spring installs. I have done them before, but with Jeeps. Those springs are a lot bigger can Kill you! But I love doing my own mods. So, if anyone has a DYI, I would still like to see it!
Hey Scoobyj, I just installed the Eibach pro kit on my G37 this past weekend. Its not hard at ALL if your use to doing your own mods. The rear springs take about 15min. each side after the wheel is off. The fronts you will need a macpherson strut spring compressor. I used a wall mounted spring compressor. It is the safest and I HIGHLY recommend you find someone who will let you use it or will change out the springs on the struts for you. You can take the struts out ,let them switch out springs and you put the struts back in. To do the rear. Put a floor jack under the pumpkin and lift the wheels off the ground about 3-4 inches. After removing the wheel. put another jack under the lower A-arm that the spring sets in. Jack up the A-arm which will compress the spring. Then remove the 1 bolt that connects the A-arm to the rear spindle. Then lower the jack thats under the A-arm very slowly all the way down. The lower A-arm can then be pushed down by hand and lift the spring right out. Install the new spring in the same position the old one was in (really only one way it will fit as long as you have the spring right side up) . Jack up the lower A-arm back into position, put the bolt back through and tighten the nut. If your still interested in doing the front let me know. Its a little harder but not at all impossible for someone mechanically inclined as yourself.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:30 PM
VIP G

if it was that easy I would done mine myself too, because I always do all of my mods
Old 08-15-2008, 11:52 PM
koelzmod

I was going to pay a shop to do mine too. But then I thought I would take a look at it myself. Once I took off the wheel and sat there and really looked at it good ,I realized there weren't that many bolts to remove. 3 nuts on the top of the strut (under the hood) 1 top A-frame bolt, 1 lower strut bolt, 1 bolt at the front swaybar and a bolt that goes to a little bracket that holds the front brake line. The toughest part is using the strut compressor. And like I said earlier, If I wouldn't of been able to use a wall mounted compressor I wouldn't of even taken off a lug nut. Those other strut compressors that make you tighten each side little by little are a pain in the donkey. I also used an air impact wrench. It would be tough with hand tools.

Last edited by koelzmod; 08-15-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:56 AM
VIP G

^oh ok, I have all hand tools and no spring compressor so its best I had it done then
Old 08-16-2008, 11:58 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

autozone lets you rent spring compressors for 40 dollars. once your done you can return it for a full refund within 90 days.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:14 PM
J.Oh

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
autozone lets you rent spring compressors for 40 dollars. once your done you can return it for a full refund within 90 days.
wallmounted or dont do it.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:06 PM
prutkows

Originally Posted by Scoobyj
Does anyone have a good DYI for installing lowering springs? I would think one for the G35 would be good also.
have a professional do it for you.. or risk getting crushed by our fatass car.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:12 PM
VIP G

^+1

Quick Reply: DIY : Need one for installing lowering springs