Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

exhaust tip cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 08:09 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
How's eagle never dull for the stock exhaust? Also, any recommendations on what to clean it with? Can I get away with a gerbil type wheel brush? I haven't cleaned mine since I bought it and noticed it's a little dirty in there.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:46 PM
duriisimo
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Try using soda and aluminum foil pour soda on exhaust and polish with the foil
not sure about the soda but the aluminum foil works like a charm..
Old 02-17-2018, 09:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
I vaguely remember Rochester mentioning a product he picked up at Wal-Mart or something that made his FI exhaust tips look brand new. I could be completely off the mark but could've sworn it was him...

Nope, not me. I use Mothers metal polish, but it doesn't seem to be any better or worse than other metal polish products I've tried over the years. After winter is over, I usually go over the tips and cans with the metal polish and 4-naught (0000) steel wool. If you go this route, be absolutely sure you're using the ultra-fine 0000 grade, otherwise you will certainly scratch the finish, really bad too. But 4-naught is pretty harmless... once in a while. Particularly if you've got bits of tar bonded to the stainless steel, that just refushes to buff off with polish alone.

As the years clip by, keeping the tips & cans polished gets more and more imperfect. It is what it is for a daily driver, perfection is the enemy of the good, etc.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-17-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Nope, not me. I use Mothers metal polish, but it doesn't seem to be any better or worse than other metal polish products I've tried over the years. After winter is over, I usually go over the tips and cans with the metal polish and 4-naught (0000) steel wool. If you go this route, be absolutely sure you're using the ultra-fine 0000 grade, otherwise you will certainly scratch the finish, really bad too. But 4-naught is pretty harmless... once in a while. Particularly if you've got bits of tar bonded to the stainless steel, that just refushes to buff off with polish alone.

As the years clip by, keeping the tips & cans polished gets more and more imperfect. It is what it is for a daily driver, perfection is the enemy of the good, etc.
Where do you get 4-naught (0000) steel wool? .. Is it different from what you get at the grocery store?
Old 02-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
Where do you get 4-naught (0000) steel wool? .. Is it different from what you get at the grocery store?
Home Depot, Lowes... typical hardware store stuff. Different grades of steel wool are often used in wood refinishing projects.
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (02-17-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 01:18 PM
kapag37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use optimum metal polish and it takes off any residue pretty quickly with minimal rubbing, haven't tried many others to compare though.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:13 PM
kidtronix
Build your own bandwagon.

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Step 1: Nevr-Dull (if your tips are in real rough shape)
Step 2: Turtle Wax Chrome Polish to finish (or for basic maintenance a few times a year).
Step 3: Seal the surface annually to prevent future build up.

20 years and four cars later and I'm still on my first bottle of chrome polish.