Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Question about my paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 04:53 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question about my paint

Sup yall Soo my car received a new paint job because it was in an accident. Although that for the most part, it's quite good, there are many places at the edges of body panels, that didn't receive paint. I'm talking very small areas that aren't even noticeable unless you're looking. They don't bother me that much but I'm wondering, if I don't cover all these spots up with touch up paint, over time, will these areas get larger and chip to the point where it is noticeable? Or even start to rust? Please let me know if I should take preventative action.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2017, 10:43 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
The spots are bare metal? If so yes they will rust with time.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:07 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
was the insurance company involved in sending you to the body shop for the repairs or did you choose a cheap shop that performed a shoddy job? either case you spent money on the paint job theres some expectation to do the job correct.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:09 AM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by crookncastle
was the insurance company involved in sending you to the body shop for the repairs or did you choose a cheap shop that performed a shoddy job? either case you spent money on the paint job theres some expectation to do the job correct.
I purchased the car after it had been in the accident and repainted. The paint job isn't bad, I mean, it could be a lot worse. I'm just worried about these edges flaking up over time.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:06 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Maybe get some of that touch up paint that has the little brush. Unless the area is bigger than that.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:55 PM
rsingerG37

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Can you post a picture please?
Old 04-29-2017, 10:14 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rsingerG37
Can you post a picture please?
Yeah I'll try and get some soon.

Trending Topics

Old 04-29-2017, 10:15 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
Maybe get some of that touch up paint that has the little brush. Unless the area is bigger than that.
Was thinking about this. But I did it before on my last car on an edge where paint had chipped away, and the touch up paint eventually came off.. Not sure if it's because the product I was using didn't have an infused clear coat. It was just base paint.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:44 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by HotSawce
Was thinking about this. But I did it before on my last car on an edge where paint had chipped away, and the touch up paint eventually came off.. Not sure if it's because the product I was using didn't have an infused clear coat. It was just base paint.
How well, if at all, did you clean the surface it was going on beforehand? Touchup paint will be your easiest fix for this.