Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Rough/Bumpy Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 10:44 AM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Rough/Bumpy Paint

So the paint on my G has always been very smooth. However, the past couple of months have been raining really hard so I have not washed my car for quite awhile. We did get occasional breaks for a couple days up to a week but due to schedule conflicts and heavier rain in the forecast, I decided to hold off on the wash.

Due to all the rain however, plants have been budding like crazy during the week long breaks which in turn have amassed a ridiculous amount of pollen into the air and thus, onto my car. The dirt/pollen I think have been baked into the paint because yesterday when I was washing my car, the paint was extremely rough/bumpy even after the soak/rinse/wash.

Question: how can I remove the contaminants on the paint to get it silky smooth again? Would clay barring the car be the best option here?
Old 03-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Hand wash and clay bar. Be gentle and lubricate the clay with plenty of instant detailer.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:36 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
You might want to do a full detail to get a mirror finish again - wash, clay bar, polish, wax. If it rains a lot where you live, I'd also recommend using a sealant on the car every few months. Check out Detailed Image, they have a 25% sale until 3/18.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:11 AM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I'll give clay barring a try first.

kickintheglass, I've actually never done paint correction/polish before (they're the same thing, right?) and would be weary to try it on this car first. I'd like to learn though as I do see a lot of swirls on the paint. Maybe I'll try on a different car first.

What's a good random orbit buffer/polisher that a beginner can start with? And a good polisher, wax, and sealant? I have Meguiars Ultimate Compound but not sure if that would be good for paint correction or not.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:48 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by sLADe781
kickintheglass, I've actually never done paint correction/polish before (they're the same thing, right?) and would be weary to try it on this car first. I'd like to learn though as I do see a lot of swirls on the paint. Maybe I'll try on a different car first.

What's a good random orbit buffer/polisher that a beginner can start with? And a good polisher, wax, and sealant? I have Meguiars Ultimate Compound but not sure if that would be good for paint correction or not.
Definitely practice on an older car first, preferably on an conspicuous spot in case something goes wrong. I bought a used car hood to practice on before I took the leap on my G.

I'm pretty sure I have the Porter-Cable, but any random orbital polisher with variable speed (crucial) with the backing pad size you prefer will do the trick. Meguiar's compound/polish/wax gets a lot of good reviews, also Chemical Guys products. I just ordered HydrO2 (sealant) from Detailed Image, so I might do a review after I see results.

The most important thing when detailing is prepping the car, so don't cut corners when cleaning/claying the car. Check out the plethora of DIY youtube videos on detailing procedures.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
How To Properly Use a Clay Bar by Todd Cooperider
Explaining the Decontamination Process (Part 1) by Zach McGovern
Explaining the Decontamination Process (Part 2) by Zach McGovern

These articles will help!

Let me know if you've got any questions.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Attention to Detailing - Peoria, IL