Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Sanding and re-clear coating wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 01:31 AM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Sanding and re-clear coating wheels

I have to fix some curb rash on my wheels from the previous owner. It's just on the rim which would be fairly simple to deal with. However, there are spots on other parts of the wheel where the clear coat is peeling. I was thinking that I could just sand down the rim of the wheel, then sand down the peeled areas until the transition is smooth, then spray the whole wheel with clear. Have never done anything to this depth to fix painted or clear coated areas. Just need to see if my thinking is correct or if I should take further measures regarding the rest of the wheel.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Flakman
I have to fix some curb rash on my wheels from the previous owner. It's just on the rim which would be fairly simple to deal with. However, there are spots on other parts of the wheel where the clear coat is peeling. I was thinking that I could just sand down the rim of the wheel, then sand down the peeled areas until the transition is smooth, then spray the whole wheel with clear. Have never done anything to this depth to fix painted or clear coated areas. Just need to see if my thinking is correct or if I should take further measures regarding the rest of the wheel.

Thanks
No, don't sand it. The hyper silver finish is a three stage application, if you sand through the silver anywhere on the wheel you're screwed. A mobile rim repair service can get a close match but nowhere near perfect. Google hyper silver wheel finish, and you'll have a much clearer idea of what you're dealing with. My wife just had all 4 wheels powder coated on her 370 for right around 500 bucks. That was in a dark metallic silver finish, not hyper silver though. Good luck! The clear was all jacked up on my OEM wheels, I just used it as an excuse to put something different on there. Before and after
Attached Thumbnails Sanding and re-clear coating wheels-photo974.jpg   Sanding and re-clear coating wheels-030.jpg  

Last edited by Roadrash666; 04-29-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:13 AM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Ah. These wheels are machined except for the black part, not the hyper silver.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:30 AM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Flakman
Ah. These wheels are machined except for the black part, not the hyper silver.
My bad, I assumed they were oem. That changes things considerably. Post pics when they are finished.