Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need Help with RUST!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Arrogant

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Need Help with RUST!!!!

So While examing my new to me car I notced right above the gas cover there is a small paint chip that went all the way through the primer and now there is a very small amount of rust. It is litterally almost a pin dot size, but it is scaring the hell out of me. Can I attempt to fix this myself? Should I go to a professional body shop? should I sell the car?
Old 11-20-2014, 12:27 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrogant
So While examing my new to me car I notced right above the gas cover there is a small paint chip that went all the way through the primer and now there is a very small amount of rust. It is litterally almost a pin dot size, but it is scaring the hell out of me. Can I attempt to fix this myself? Should I go to a professional body shop? should I sell the car?
Unfortunately if you want a perfect fix (or as perfect as can be expected for a repair) you need a body shop. If it's a very small chip and you feel comfortable touching it up, then you may be able to get away with cleaning/sanding the rust and simply touching it up. If you go the touchup route just make sure the rust is minimal and you can remove it, otherwise it will keep spreading even if you touch it up and will become worse within months.

Rust is never fun!

Ivan @ DI
The following users liked this post:
T_Buckets_223 (03-06-2015)