Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Stillen exhaust rust

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Ryno23

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Good luck with everything, hopefully stillen can help you out.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by alanz
Winter is not even over yet and I kept the car in the garage most of the time. It kind of pissed me off. I am reasonable person, some rust in the next few years I would have not problem with. But not couple months into the winter and with only one snow storm I wasn't even on the road.

I will hold off on polishing, I am afraid it will remove the outer coat and make the rust worse.

I am going to send Stillen this link.

This is 100% not stillen's fault, and trust me, I'm the last person on the list to defend a Stillen Exhaust.

I'm from the midwest, and its the price you pay if you take your car out in the winter, or even in spring before the roads have fully been cleaned off by a few good rains. Make a note for the future...tough way to learn your lesson though.

If you look at the photos, ALL of the rust is where there's welds and seams, and the tips is where the metal was cut. These areas are where its exposed, and if you get ANNNY SALT on this, it will 100% rust. Keep in mind...Rust is like cancer, you can cut it out, "try" and fix it for a short period of time, but it ain't annnnywhere

Originally Posted by DeamonG37s
Quality ss doesn't rust 304, PH etc. Cheap ss, with out proper properties. Processed incorrectly the carbon levels are whack.
This 100% has nothing to do w/ the quality of the metal. As I mentioned in my above comment, all of the rust is near the welding and where the metal itself was cut(tips).
Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 PM
alanz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1cleanG
This is 100% not stillen's fault, and trust me, I'm the last person on the list to defend a Stillen Exhaust.

I'm from the midwest, and its the price you pay if you take your car out in the winter, or even in spring before the roads have fully been cleaned off by a few good rains. Make a note for the future...tough way to learn your lesson though.

If you look at the photos, ALL of the rust is where there's welds and seams, and the tips is where the metal was cut. These areas are where its exposed, and if you get ANNNY SALT on this, it will 100% rust. Keep in mind...Rust is like cancer, you can cut it out, "try" and fix it for a short period of time, but it ain't annnnywhere

This 100% has nothing to do w/ the quality of the metal. As I mentioned in my above comment, all of the rust is near the welding and where the metal itself was cut(tips).
It's hard to convince when the car is bought in summer and not even driven on salty road before rusting happened. People would freak out if this stands true for all other brands of exhaust especially when they have it for less than 6 months.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 AM
DeamonG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has everything to do with the quality of steel! Do you think they use this quality steel on planes would you still fly? No materials come with certifcates of how their made and what elements are involved in it, your periodic table.. Im a aviation machinest certified and deal with steels all kinds i know this stuff inside out. Quality grade ss does not rust. Im not bashing stillen, but id be pist off if thats what their selling esp for the price. I even checked their site they claim its high quality for longer product use Stainless Steel. I even read its aviation quality... I dont think so...
Just for reference heres my SS exhaust on my 2001 Honda Civic Si which i have on the car for 8 years! Its my winter beater the exhaust MINT! Will outlast the car! Picture b4 and a quick wipe to show you the salt and the shine after...
Stillen exhaust rust-bb-096.jpg

Stillen exhaust rust-bb-105.jpg
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Stainless steels are iron alloys with a minimum of 10.5% chromium. The most common grade of stainless used is 304; the main requirement for stainless steels is that they should be corrosion resistant for a specified application or environment. Stainless steels contain sufficient chromium to form a passive film of chromium oxide, which prevents further surface corrosion and blocks corrosion from spreading.

Welding stainless steel is done with a MIG welder; the welding rods used should match the SS grade, i.e. 308, 316 or 308L, which is suitable for welding stainless steel grade 304 material, as well as 347 and 321, when you require resistance to corrosion.

I would suspect the weld preparation or filler (welding material-) used as opposed to the grade of stainless.

My advice would be to contact the supplier.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Stainless steels are iron alloys with a minimum of 10.5% chromium. The most common grade of stainless used is 304; the main requirement for stainless steels is that they should be corrosion resistant for a specified application or environment. Stainless steels contain sufficient chromium to form a passive film of chromium oxide, which prevents further surface corrosion and blocks corrosion from spreading.

Welding stainless steel is done with a MIG welder; the welding rods used should match the SS grade, i.e. 308, 316 or 308L, which is suitable for welding stainless steel grade 304 material, as well as 347 and 321, when you require resistance to corrosion.

I would suspect the weld preparation or filler (welding material-) used as opposed to the grade of stainless.

My advice would be to contact the supplier.
THat was an awesome explanation!

I learn something new in here each day.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 AM
DeamonG37s

Theirs the text book coming out to play. Your forks knives spoons are SS try adding salt to ur soup will ur spoon rust? That's why they call it Stainless Steel. It does not rust.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 PM
alanz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DeamonG37s
It has everything to do with the quality of steel! Do you think they use this quality steel on planes would you still fly? No materials come with certifcates of how their made and what elements are involved in it, your periodic table.. Im a aviation machinest certified and deal with steels all kinds i know this stuff inside out. Quality grade ss does not rust. Im not bashing stillen, but id be pist off if thats what their selling esp for the price. I even checked their site they claim its high quality for longer product use Stainless Steel. I even read its aviation quality... I dont think so...
Just for reference heres my SS exhaust on my 2001 Honda Civic Si which i have on the car for 8 years! Its my winter beater the exhaust MINT! Will outlast the car! Picture b4 and a quick wipe to show you the salt and the shine after...
Attachment 95044

Attachment 95045
I bet if you clean the exhaust, it will look like brand new. Wow, not bad for 8 years.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:19 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Just google Stillen Exhaust Rusting and that should give you a idea..
Old 01-25-2013, 08:06 AM
dongagan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
Just google Stillen Exhaust Rusting and that should give you a idea..
Lots of posts about rust. 6 months is too early. Glad I waited and did research on CBE exhausts.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 AM
DeamonG37s

Since stillen claims they use 304 SS they should provide material specs to prove this otherwise its false advertising. OP look into evapo rust it may remove it. Goodluck
Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 PM
alanz
Registered Member

Kyle@stillen is now aware of this thread. I am stilling waiting for an explanation.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 PM
alanz
Registered Member

I haven't heard anything for Kyle yet, but after I sent an email to ask what's going on a week later, this is what I get from the customer support:

"I have talked to Kyle about you rusting problem. This is what we can offer to help you out with this problem. You can send your exhaust to us, and we will do a full cleaning for you at no charge. All you will be responsible for will be the freight. If this is something you would like for us to do please let me know."

Not only I have to pay for the shipping, I have to pay for the dealer to uninstall and install the exhaust. Additionally my car will be disabled for a while. This is certainly not acceptable.

I am sure I can spend less than $20 to clean the exhaust but rust will only come back.

Honestly I am not sure what to ask them for to resolve the problem, what do you think my expectation should be if you're in my shoes???

The rust is just an eye sore at this moment. I wish I have never chose stillen.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by alanz
I haven't heard anything for Kyle yet, but after I sent an email to ask what's going on a week later, this is what I get from the customer support:

"I have talked to Kyle about you rusting problem. This is what we can offer to help you out with this problem. You can send your exhaust to us, and we will do a full cleaning for you at no charge. All you will be responsible for will be the freight. If this is something you would like for us to do please let me know."

Not only I have to pay for the shipping, I have to pay for the dealer to uninstall and install the exhaust. Additionally my car will be disabled for a while. This is certainly not acceptable.

I am sure I can spend less than $20 to clean the exhaust but rust will only come back.

Honestly I am not sure what to ask them for to resolve the problem, what do you think my expectation should be if you're in my shoes???

The rust is just an eye sore at this moment. I wish I have never chose stillen.
Well... You've already vented your frustrations on the forum. You received response from customer service that didn't rectify the situation and informed everyone of product review.

I've read bad things about stillen for years. Spent many hours on this forum, my350z and the370z. Stillen doesn't have the best reputation IMO. The R&D isn't up to par with Japanese competitors.

Sell the exhaust as "used with rust" some cheap bastard will buy it. Next time read more reviews and do more research before making a large purchase. I'm not out to blast stillen but the name has become tarnished (like your exhaust) over the years.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Take it off, send it to them, get it back and sell it used, buy ark or FI exhaust.

Not necessarily in that order mind you....but I'm sure you get the point.

I haven't read too many positive things about stillen's customer service, and that is a big reason why I only have a roof spoiler from them. It's obviously the exhaust is defective , and their "fix" is less than acceptable.

Sorry for your issues. My advice is above, and I think it's time to cut your losses.

Quick Reply: Stillen exhaust rust